VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen it since my comment and the offside call is insane. I don't think VAR would have pick that up previously and the new system has added a dimension to the extreme.

Not sure what you find insane about it? He’s clearly a good yard offside.

Why’s that VAR and not the officials on the pitch to blame ?
Because they chose not to have the referee look at the holding on Stones/Maguire fouls and did choose to have the referee look at the shirt pulling on the Iranian player.

The referee is also culpable, but this is the VAR thread, so I am focusing on their ineptitude (to be kind).

According to the ESPN VAR expert, who is reviewing every VAR incident in the tournament, he reckons the difference probably was that Maguire also had his arms on the defender and also that he wasn’t in a position to challenge for the ball. Although he was critical of the one given and said the infringement wasn’t major enough to justify the clear and obvious error guideline, in his opinion.

That's fair enough, but it's getting out of hand now. Defending corners/free kicks is more and more like a scrum. The referees need to be telling both sides that using arms as a defensive or attacking move in dead ball situations is a no-no. Every goal scored and every penalty incident will be reviewed by VAR for who used the arms first. Then the infringement awarded on that basis.

Then, for the Maguire one, IIRC, the defender started using his arms to block Maguire's movement, Maguire tried to get the defender's arms out of the way, and they both got tangled up. The defender started it, even though both were involved in it - penalty.

You can see in the two later games, that the referees tried to sort this out on the pitch, probably to no avail. It needs to be done before the match, or the tournament, starts.

That's fair enough, but it's getting out of hand now. Defending corners/free kicks is more and more like a scrum. The referees need to be telling both sides that using arms as a defensive or attacking move in dead ball situations is a no-no. Every goal scored and every penalty incident will be reviewed by VAR for who used the arms first. Then the infringement awarded on that basis.

Then, for the Maguire one, IIRC, the defender started using his arms to block Maguire's movement, Maguire tried to get the defender's arms out of the way, and they both got tangled up. The defender started it, even though both were involved in it - penalty.

You can see in the two later games, that the referees tried to sort this out on the pitch, probably to no avail. It needs to be done before the match, or the tournament, starts.

I don’t think it is anywhere near as bad as it once was. Players know now that there’s at least a chance they’ll be picked up for it. There was a time when they could foul almost with complete impunity at corners. Plenty will still take a chance. I suppose it’s risk reward ratio and it’s still unlikely they’ll be penalised most of the time. I’d love to see it totally eradicated but it’s never going to happen. There’s just too many players in too small an area.

As for this specific incident, yes the defender did put his hands on Maguire first. But the officials are told to bare in mind if the contact was both ways and if the player concerned was likely stopped from getting a meaningful contact on the ball. That failed both those tests. Although clearly if the referee had given it there was plenty enough contact for the VAR not to advise him to reconsider.

Take it you've never seen the film Short Circuit?

If not why not? It's one of the best films of the 80's!

Not only not seen it, I’d never heard of it until 30 seconds ago. Although having just Googled it I’m getting vibes of ‘Weird Science’ with Kelly LeBrock, which I most certainly did watch in the 80s. Numerous times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.