VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t really matter as long as the rules are applied consistently.

The Brighton penalty is totally different to the Dias penalty. Different laws were in play,

The Brighton one wasn’t given as “the bar was too high” and has been criticised.

The Dias one ticked the boxes of handball in England and so was overturned and not criticised (apart from by partisan City fans).

Pretty much.
Dias' arm was out in front of him, and the ball hit quite a way down the arm. Definitely away from the body.
The still from 2021 on IFAB has the upper arm next to the body, so the forearm is close to the body too.
I don't think they're the same.

I'd quite like to see something in the laws about whether it made a significant difference to play (the header didn't appear to have a Liverpool player in the area it was going), but it's not present at the moment.

Regardless, the Dias handball is an issue with the law, not with VAR.

Pretty much.
Dias' arm was out in front of him, and the ball hit quite a way down the arm. Definitely away from the body.
The still from 2021 on IFAB has the upper arm next to the body, so the forearm is close to the body too.
I don't think they're the same.

I'd quite like to see something in the laws about whether it made a significant difference to play (the header didn't appear to have a Liverpool player in the area it was going), but it's not present at the moment.

Regardless, the Dias handball is an issue with the law, not with VAR.
Can’t disagree with any of that.

It also shows that if you debate in bad faith (using a different scenario to show IFAB rule differently) then VAR debates will be perpetual and never get anywhere.

It doesn’t really matter as long as the rules are applied consistently.

The Brighton penalty is totally different to the Dias penalty. Different laws were in play,

The Brighton one wasn’t given as “the bar was too high” and has been criticised.

The Dias one ticked the boxes of handball in England and so was overturned and not criticised (apart from by partisan City fans).
'It doesn’t really matter as long as the rules are applied consistently'. And that's the crux of the matter as it isn't.

The bar too high, really? A blatant shove in the back. The Dias handball didn't tick the boxes though and it was criticsied by many

'It doesn’t really matter as long as the rules are applied consistently'. And that's the crux of the matter as it isn't.

The bar too high, really? A blatant shove in the back. The Dias handball didn't tick the boxes though and it was criticsied by many
You don’t believe they aren’t.

Could you link me to an article criticising the Dias handball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.