VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s a personal opinion. Opponents to that would probably say that the VAR giving free kicks that the referee has missed is getting away from correcting mistakes on major issues and veering into ‘re-refereeing the game ‘ territory.

Well, possibly, but it wasn't a question around the number and type of incidents that VAR could or should review or "re-refereeing the game" on a continuous basis. It was a question of whether VAR should get the correct outcome for each of the incidents it is authorised to look at.

That’s a personal opinion. Opponents to that would probably say that the VAR giving free kicks that the referee has missed is getting away from correcting mistakes on major issues and veering into ‘re-refereeing the game ‘ territory.
It appears you would have no objection to a World Cup semi final being distorted by a player wrongly dismissed for a foul he didn't commit (2nd booking)
You don't want Var to intervene in that.

So why have it ? If it can allow that scenario to happen you may as well just leave it to the incompetent fuckwit referee in the first place. Funnily enough, most of us have being saying that for years.

It appears you would have no objection to a World Cup semi final being distorted by a player wrongly dismissed for a foul he didn't commit (2nd booking)
You don't want Var to intervene in that.

So why have it ? If it can allow that scenario to happen you may as well just leave it to the incompetent fuckwit referee in the first place. Funnily enough, most of us have being saying that for years.

Not sure where you’ve got that idea from? I’ve just pointed out why he probably didn’t get involved ( the touch on the ball ) And why he couldn’t have reversed a second yellow if the original decision stood. I don’t make the rules. Just pointing out what they are.

Well, possibly, but it wasn't a question around the number and type of incidents that VAR could or should review or "re-refereeing the game" on a continuous basis. It was a question of whether VAR should get the correct outcome for each of the incidents it is authorised to look at.

The purpose of VAR was to increase the number of correct decisions. Nobody worth listening to has ever claimed it will correct all incorrect decisions. So many decisions in football are based on an opinion not facts. So one man’s correct decision is another man’s mistake anyway.

The purpose of VAR was to increase the number of correct decisions. Nobody worth listening to has ever claimed it will correct all incorrect decisions. So many decisions in football are based on an opinion not facts. So one man’s correct decision is another man’s mistake anyway.
This is dragging on too long, but can you at least accept, without resorting to platitudes (don't want to re-referee the game, not expecting to get everything right, decisions are subjective, etc ..), that VAR protocol COULD be to give the referee the opportunity to get decisions right in all the incidents it looks at. Not all incidents on the pitch in the 90 minutes, just those the protocol says it can look at. What benefit to the game is there in a protocol that actually validates a bad decision (such as not awarding a free-kick to Kane in the non-penalty incident, or the yellow card in the FRA-MAR game). Both could have been reviewed by the referee as part of the incident review and the correct outcome could have been applied.

I know it's not the protocol, but I can't think of one reason why it shouldn't be.

exactly right

and the number of correct decisions this WC has far outweighed previous tournaments, vast majority of games was free flowing and free of refereeing fuck ups which has been refreshing - always going to get the odd debatable/wrong decision whatever system is in place - the added time also reduced wasting time - I hope we can bring that in the domestic game

This is dragging on too long, but can you at least accept, without resorting to platitudes (don't want to re-referee the game, not expecting to get everything right, decisions are subjective, etc ..), that VAR protocol COULD be to give the referee the opportunity to get decisions right in all the incidents it looks at. Not all incidents on the pitch in the 90 minutes, just those the protocol says it can look at. What benefit to the game is there in a protocol that actually validates a bad decision (such as not awarding a free-kick to Kane in the non-penalty incident, or the yellow card in the FRA-MAR game). Both could have been reviewed by the referee as part of the incident review and the correct outcome could have been applied.

I know it's not the protocol, but I can't think of one reason why it shouldn't be.

Yes, I don’t personally see any major issue with the VAR advising on the correct restart in cases it is reviewing anyway.

I didn’t say it wasn’t an error. The VAR has no jurisdiction to advise overturning the yellow card once he’s decided not to recommend a review of the penalty.
What? It was 2 clear errors (foul and penalty) which the referee got wrong and then VAR clearly got wrong also. In both cases. They may have some crap rule about not resinding the yellow which is laughable in itself. However the main point is they all got the foul wrong and missed a clear penalty. If that isnt correctable then both the refs and VAR need to be removed from the game as they are pointless with that train of thought….

Last edited:
What? It was 2 clear errors (foul and penalty) which the referee got wrong and then VAR clearly got wrong also. In both cases. They may have some crap rule about not resinding the yellow which is laughable in itself. However the main point is they all got the foul wrong and missed a clear penalty. If that isnt correctable then both the refs and VAR need to be removed from the game as they are pointless with that train of thought….

I can’t even remember which incident we’re talking about here but generally speaking there is a flaw in a lot of people’s criticism of individual VAR decisions, in that they fail to understand that a referee and a VAR are working to two completely different sets of criteria. What might well be an incorrect decision on the field isn’t automatically a mistake by the VAR if he doesn’t overturn it.

People might not agree with that procedure and I’ve no problem with that. But I see a lot of criticism of an individual VAR, when they have followed protocol precisely as instructed.

Few decisions here and there which could have been better … but overall out of 64 games there wasn’t much uproar and massively wrong errors. VAR worked very well. Impressed with a lot of the refs letting stuff go (too much at times) to allow the matches to flow better, they were much stricter on time wasting and the more added time being given is long overdue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.