VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would depend on what the referee saw, would it not? If he thought there was no contact and there was, then that would be an error? If only there was some way to hear what they said to each other ......

If he thought there was contact but not enough to go down, then I would like to stamp in his toes with some studs as well.

Happy New Year to you as well, by the way. To everyone, in fact. Happy New Years all round.

Happy New Year to you aswell.

Howard Webb has indicated he’d like to go down the road of having some of the communication being made public. As he did in America. It would be interesting for sure. Not sure it would be quite the key to removing all controversy as some seem to think though.

On this specific incident. Not sure it’s hugely relevant from a VAR perspective if the referee thought there was minimal or no contact. He’s not going to be getting involved in borderline decisions like that either way. The referee’s decision is virtually always going to be final in those sort of challenges.

That would depend on what the referee saw, would it not? If he thought there was no contact and there was, then that would be an error? If only there was some way to hear what they said to each other ......

If he thought there was contact but not enough to go down, then I would like to stamp in his toes with some studs as well.

Happy New Year to you as well, by the way. To everyone, in fact. Happy New Years all round.
He didn't see a lot yesterday, and if we heard what was said between the ref and the VAR shed their 'manipulative' game would be up!

Happy New Year to you aswell.

Howard Webb has indicated he’d like to go down the road of having some of the communication being made public. As he did in America. It would be interesting for sure. Not sure it would be quite the key to removing all controversy as some seem to think though.

On this specific incident. Not sure it’s hugely relevant from a VAR perspective if the referee thought there was minimal or no contact. He’s not going to be getting involved in borderline decisions like that either way. The referee’s decision is virtually always going to be final in those sort of challenges.

I suppose that's where we differ. If VAR is going to determine whether something is borderline or not, then he is refereeing, not VARing. Seems to me he should look at it, ask the referee what he saw, and if he sees something the referee didn't see, then he should ask the ref to review it because that would be a clear error. If it was obvious as well should be a decision for the referee to make.

I suppose that's where we differ. If VAR is going to determine whether something is borderline or not, then he is refereeing, not VARing. Seems to me he should look at it, ask the referee what he saw, and if he sees something the referee didn't see, then he should ask the ref to review it because that would be a clear error. If it was obvious as well should be a decision for the referee to make.

It’s not really where WE differ. Maybe more where your opinion differs to the actual guidelines and protocol. There is, rightly or wrongly, no scope currently for the referee to say to the VAR something along the lines of…. I just haven’t seen that incident at all, can you advise? He has to make a decision. And then it down to the VAR, under their guidelines to decide if the incident is reviewable.

It’s not really where WE differ. Maybe more where your opinion differs to the actual guidelines and protocol. There is, rightly or wrongly, no scope currently for the referee to say to the VAR something along the lines of…. I just haven’t seen that incident at all, can you advise? He has to make a decision. And then it down to the VAR, under their guidelines to decide if the incident is reviewable.

You are right. IMO it's sporadically practically an impractical protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.