VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you watch the World Cup? Subtle phasing out of contentious replays and "it''s been looked at". Of course that's enough for you - "VAR's looked at it." = legit and dealt with, that's the beauty of it and this is only the tip. I guarantee that as in football grounds, tv companies will be told or encouraged not to dwell or comment upon contentious incidents before long - and who are they to argue - contracts to keep. The whole thing is an insidious carve up. I agree with you though on one point VAR/technology hasn't caused this - it's vested interests, but it gives it a thinly veiled aura of legitimacy.

And yes- I am a very cynical c*nt.
It makes the TV companies COMPLICIT in any cover up.

But we saw hundreds of missed penalties for handball and everything else pre-VAR, which is partly why VAR was brought in in the first place.

VAR is very far from perfect but there are more correct decisions now than there previously were. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t demand that it continues to improve or that we get to hear what’s being said of course.
I'm not sure this is actually the case. There was a study which showed on pitch refereeing got 95% of big decisions right, pre VAR.

Has VAR got that % higher? Maybe. It's certainly righted some wrongs, but its also interfered/not interfered subjectively on some refs decisions, and relied on inaccurate tech to make many many others, so it's net benefit on accuracy is debatable.

That's before we get to the side effects of delay of game and taking away the spontaneity of celebrating goals.

Inexplicably for a multi billion dollar sport it's implementaiton has been terrible. It isn't transparent, has necessaitated all sorts of sub optimal LOTG changes, not resolved controversy (and arguably added to it).

And, it could be so much better.

Have a screen on the side of the pitch and if a ref decides they want to take a second look at something then make it available to them. A la American Football, they explain what they see and what their decision is. It really really is that simple.

The media are now saying there were less cameras in use for Var in the FA Cup than the League, further they admit every ground had a different number of cameras.
If true it ruins the integrity of Var, the Premier League and the FA. Any decently run professional organisation would have a set number of cameras sited at specified positions so that every ground is equal in its coverage.
You cannot have the situation where Liverpool deliberately have less than other clubs.
Does anyone know "why" there are less? Is it a stadium size issue or something>

I'm not sure this is actually the case. There was a study which showed on pitch refereeing got 95% of big decisions right, pre VAR.

Has VAR got that % higher? Maybe. It's certainly righted some wrongs, but its also interfered/not interfered subjectively on some refs decisions, and relied on inaccurate tech to make many many others, so it's net benefit on accuracy is debatable.

According to premierleague.com before VAR was introduced the percentage of correct key match decisions stood at 82 percent.

12 months later with VAR in use for the 2019/20 season, it rose to 94 percent.

Suspect it’s even higher now VAR has improved

But that is missing the point entirely. With Var the referee no longer has to make decisions and so cops out of making important ones.
The problem then arises with the clear and obvious rule. Var have to then decide whether to intervene. In turn that causes controversy. No other sport allows a ref to abdicate his responsibility.
No. You’re missing the point entirely that penalties have always been missed. Now fewer penalties are missed.

It really is this simple

how anything thinks this view is being a 'wum' i'll never know

some just prefer to live in constant anger and call everything a conspiracy
Easiest two ways to see VAR works better than no VAR are these:

1: every fan forum’s thread on VAR reckons it’s bent against them.

2: every side playing without VAR in the 3rd round this weekend thought it was unfair that they were denied it’s use.

Easiest two ways to see VAR works better than no VAR are these:

1: every fan forum’s thread on VAR reckons it’s bent against them.

2: every side playing without VAR in the 3rd round this weekend thought it was unfair that they were denied it’s use.

3. Those who want rid of VAR posting videos of how bad refs/decisions were pre VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.