VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry,, I just don’t see why any referee would think like that. If he’s seen the handball, he gives it. The game stops and if it turns out he’s wrong, it gets overturned and people might say what a shit decision it was to start with but thankfully the correct decision was reached in the end. This is exactly the scenario with Michael Oliver and the hit the guy in the face incident at Arsenal the other week. I don’t recall any particular ridicule for him calling it wrongly originally.

At City the other day, you’re suggesting he’s seen the handball but because he’s unprofessional and lazy, he decides to play on and leave it to VAR to give him a shout if his initial thoughts were right. In the meantime play goes on. There’s a possibility another major incident might occur in the time it takes the VAR to tell him to stop play. A red card maybe for violent conduct. Which would stand even if play was brought back. A Chelsea goal which would then be chalked off. Incidents that would be talked about for years.

The possibilities for opening himself up for ridicule are far greater if he takes this option. Especially if it’s on the back of him actually seeing an incident correctly but not giving it.

He’s getting ridiculed off you for example for doing exactly what you claim he’s done to avoid ridicule.

There’s a far simpler and more likely explanation for him not giving it. Which is, like it seems all the players and virtually the whole crowd, he simply missed it.
Each to their own. I believe referees have got lazy, you dont.
I think the whole thing is so poorly run it is a disgrace.

According to premierleague.com before VAR was introduced the percentage of correct key match decisions stood at 82 percent.

12 months later with VAR in use for the 2019/20 season, it rose to 94 percent.

Suspect it’s even higher now VAR has improved
Interesting stats. The same page also report that this represents 109 overturns on 2450 decisions (roughly 1 in 20).
Bare in mind the same official figures were reporting a 96% accuracy rate pre VAR. Which the now say was 82%.... Strange...
Still... 1 overturned decision every 3.5 games equates to 10 a club per season. Significant as you say.
The question is therefore is a subjective one. Is the difference worth it? For some like you, you believe that football is about accuracy then so be it.
For me it has killed the joy of the goal, the stupidity, the frenzy...
I am just glad I was around to celebrate 93.20 at the ground in all its madness without VAR.
No statistics will make me feel any different.

But there putting thereselves under way more scrutiny and furore with VAR and leaving themselves caught trapped most of the time

Pre VAR the ref could easily not of spotted that handball v Chelsea and nothing happens

Now. The ref can not spot it but VAR does (vast majority of time) and the ref has no choice but to award the rightful penalty

For example
Have watched many VAR free Carabao games this season and although not perfect, there has been no big outcry at any decisions. Also the officials seem to give decisions more readily.

Each to their own. I believe referees have got lazy, you dont.
I think the whole thing is so poorly run it is a disgrace.

Not gonna argue with someone’s opinion but what I would say to people in general who are constantly claiming that refereeing has reached a new low, is watch some old games from the 70s and 80s, while keeping an eye out for the refereeing performance. People like to look back with rose tinted glasses at how great everything was back in the day. But by todays standards the amateur days of refereeing was abysmal. People claim there is no accountability now but there literally wasn’t then. Unless it was one of the few games that was televised, nobody ever really knew how good or bad the referee was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.