VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the Champions League waits on offside calls have been absolutely ridiculous. It's almost like the people in the control room are overseeing their 1st game and have basic understanding of the system.

If you allow a margin for error, say 2cm (excessive I know), the argument will just evolve to being was he 2cm or was 2.000001cm? It is a never ending point of debate which will always be used to favour the chosen few.... sadly.
It would be 2cm for everyone though. No judgement, no human intervention, and therefore no bias.

They could set it up so one team gets 2.5cm advantage but that's quite ott, but nonetheless possible. But it's a lot less probable than ref bias or cheating.

Sounds good to me. But let's see

They have made relatively easy decisions hard. Even with VAR in current use its usually easy to spot if a player's feet are either in front or behind the other players feet. If behind, or even level the player should be judged on side. Not rocket science is it. After all, the game is called football,so why should other parts of your body be classed as offside.

Much better before with clear offside goals standing and onside goals being disallowed by a lino that’s got to see loads of things going on at a ridiculous speed - often they just took a guess

Much better before with clear offside goals standing and onside goals being disallowed by a lino that’s got to see loads of things going on at a ridiculous speed - often they just took a guess
You always say this but how many CLEAR offside goals can you remember?
The most recent one I can remember was Liverpool against West Ham about 4 or 5 years ago when the linesman was in a terrible position to spot Milner being a good few yards offside, even then the ball was passed forward and the player who made the break missed a one on one so it didnt even lead to a goal.
Compared to this number of CLEAR offside goals you talk about how many perfectly good goals has VAR chalked off over the last 3 years when a player may have been a mm offside depending on where the freeze frame was stopped or which pixel on which part of the body was used to decide the offside? Our 'winner' against Liverpool last season immediately springs to mind in this case.
If this new automated version makes it faster and more accurate then that's fine but if it's still limited by camera frame speed and issues with determining where an armpit starts and ends then it will just stop more legitimate goals being scored. At least it will be quicker though I suppose but it feels like a solution to a problem that never really existed outside of manufactured outrage on Sky and Talksport for armchair fans.

You always say this but how many CLEAR offside goals can you remember?
The most recent one I can remember was Liverpool against West Ham about 4 or 5 years ago when the linesman was in a terrible position to spot Milner being a good few yards offside, even then the ball was passed forward and the player who made the break missed a one on one so it didnt even lead to a goal.
Compared to this number of CLEAR offside goals you talk about how many perfectly good goals has VAR chalked off over the last 3 years when a player may have been a mm offside depending on where the freeze frame was stopped or which pixel on which part of the body was used to decide the offside? Our 'winner' against Liverpool last season immediately springs to mind in this case.
If this new automated version makes it faster and more accurate then that's fine but if it's still limited by camera frame speed and issues with determining where an armpit starts and ends then it will just stop more legitimate goals being scored. At least it will be quicker though I suppose but it feels like a solution to a problem that never really existed outside of manufactured outrage on Sky and Talksport for armchair fans.

Good reply this - I think it’s easy to forget how many clear offsides/onside decisions were incorrect (I’m sure I could dig out many examples) and when I watch lower league football I really notice how bad decisions are whether it’s offsides, or penalty’s, handballs - some of it is farcical- totally agree if VAR also gets it totally wrong that’s even more unacceptable
Do feel VAR is improving - how many blatant dives were there last season , where players had zero contact and won a penalty ? I don’t think there was one was there ?
Seasons before, particularly Salah won numerous penalties with blatant no contact diving - this is being stamped out thanks to VAR
It still has a long way to go - but season by season it’s improving

Good reply this - I think it’s easy to forget how many clear offsides/onside decisions were incorrect (I’m sure I could dig out many examples) and when I watch lower league football I really notice how bad decisions are whether it’s offsides, or penalty’s, handballs - some of it is farcical- totally agree if VAR also gets it totally wrong that’s even more unacceptable
Do feel VAR is improving - how many blatant dives were there last season , where players had zero contact and won a penalty ? I don’t think there was one was there ?
Seasons before, particularly Salah won numerous penalties with blatant no contact diving - this is being stamped out thanks to VAR
It still has a long way to go - but season by season it’s improving
Definitely a lot better last season and appeared to run a lot smoother. Hopefully next season will continue in the same vein.

Still takes that raw emotion out of going bananas after a goal though with var in the back of your mind.

So quicker and more accurate!!!
Thereby acknowledging it has not been accurate in the past....
You are either accurate or not. Making more accurate doesn't make it accurate either.

The term Semi automatic also fills me with dread. Goal line tech is automatic.... What is the semi bit refering to?

You are either accurate or not. Making more accurate doesn't make it accurate either.

The term Semi automatic also fills me with dread. Goal line tech is automatic.... What is the semi bit refering to?
Two more words that fill me with dread.... Mike Dean.
He's took up a job on VAR.
Now he'll be able to contribute to a sending off from an armchair

Semi means they can alter the decision dependant on the colour of shirt involved.

It’s proven they don’t have the tech to decide offsides accurately and probably never will die to the way a camera works/FPS.

It suits them to use whatever frame gives them the outcome they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.