VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think no-one doubts the referee made a mistake. That is obvious. it happens. The question is why VAR can't advise him to change his decision having looked at it.

I mean, it's ridiculous, they are looking at a potential red card for Casemiro, but they can't get the free kick right? It's incredible and, once again, reduces the whole of VAR to a joke.

There was an incident in a league game a couple of years ago where Mahrez broke down the right from almost bang on the half way line, went round the ‘keeper and the ball ended up out of play behind the goal. The linesman then gave a delayed off side flag, a few centimetres inside the defenders half. VAR looked at it for a potential foul by ‘keeper. Turned out there was no foul. The ‘keeper had clearly got a glove on the ball and turned it round for a corner. There was also no offside. He was fractionally inside his own half. But because there was no penalty, the restart was a free kick just inside their half rather than a corner to the other team that it should have been. Quite a significant difference.

On the face of it, both incidents, similar in one way, are totally ridiculous. Common sense just screams out, let the VAR tell the fucker what the correct decision is.

The trouble they have is finding the wording that allows them to do that in these two instances but excludes them from getting involved in a dozen other minor incidents during the game, which I don’t think anybody wants.

There was an incident in a league game a couple of years ago where Mahrez broke down the right from almost bang on the half way line, went round the ‘keeper and the ball ended up out of play behind the goal. The linesman then gave a delayed off side flag, a few centimetres inside the defenders half. VAR looked at it for a potential foul by ‘keeper. Turned out there was no foul. The ‘keeper had clearly got a glove on the ball and turned it round for a corner. There was also no offside. He was fractionally inside his own half. But because there was no penalty, the restart was a free kick just inside their half rather than a corner to the other team that it should have been. Quite a significant difference.

On the face of it, both incidents, similar in one way, are totally ridiculous. Common sense just screams out, let the VAR tell the fucker what the correct decision is.

The trouble they have is finding the wording that allows them to do that in these two instances but excludes them from getting involved in a dozen other minor incidents during the game, which I don’t think anybody wants.

Fair points, but it's not difficult. You don't have to look at every incident but once VAR is involved, on whatever protocol you want to have, just get the bloody decision right.

That's not the point - it's more that a decision was made to only change a few major decisions, like goals/red cards.

If you say that so long as they are considering it to be a major decision, then they can change minor ones, like yellows/fouls, then you open up the game to more subjective decisions.
But that doesn’t really apply to the Casemiro challenge—VAR was already involved. It doesn’t open up any new can of worms, the can was already open based on the current protocols.

And I am among the many commentators, pundits, journalist, and current/former footballers that hold it was a red card challenge.

I believe it was not given because they did not want to have United a goal and a man down for the next 75 minutes and “ruin the spectacle of the final”, as was the case with his similar challenge in the SF.

But that doesn’t really apply to the Casemiro challenge—VAR was already involved. It doesn’t open up any new can of worms, the can was already open based on the current protocols.

And I am among the many commentators, pundits, journalist, and current/former footballers that hold it was a red card challenge.

I believe it was not given because they did not want to have United a goal and a man down for the next 75 minutes and “ruin the spectacle of the final”, as was the case with his similar challenge in the SF.

Hmmm, probably should be a red card challenge but not sure it is the way the law has been interpreted and applied, probably because these interpretations are written by people who have no chance of having their careers effectively ended by a broken ankle.

A yellow would probably have been consistent with other decisions this year, but yes, that sort of thing should be stamped out (get it?).

Hmmm, probably should be a red card challenge but not sure it is the way the law has been interpreted and applied, probably because these interpretations are written by people who have no chance of having their careers effectively ended by a broken ankle.

A yellow would probably have been consistent with other decisions this year, but yes, that sort of thing should be stamped out (get it?).
You do bring up a good point: I wonder what would happen to Casemiro had he put in the exact same challenge on Tierney (and before anyone says “it’s completely different, Casemiro would obviously not be going for the ball if he did that to the ref”, he wasn’t going for the ball when he did it to Akanji, either, as was clear on the replays)…

Fair points, but it's not difficult. You don't have to look at every incident but once VAR is involved, on whatever protocol you want to have, just get the bloody decision right.

Yeah but VAR is constantly involved. They’re continually monitoring play.

Consistent, yes. Correct, nope.

His only intent was to play the man, not the ball. Absolute shithouse of a player.

Yeah but VAR is constantly involved. They’re continually monitoring play.
Then what is the argument against intervening in the case of the Casemiro challenge to ensure the correct decision is reached (at least a yellow and free kick to City)?

But what if it was Akanji doing that tackle, Do you think they don't send him off because it may ruin the spectacle of the final, NOPE, it's simple they don't want Manchester City winning and Akanji would have been sent off on one review off the tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.