VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hence why I picked incompetence from your list of reasons. VAR looked at a potential red, which means they flagged up the error to the ref, but there's nothing else they can do. Casemiro, was snide, and bought that. When I saw it live, I thought it was a foul by Akanji, so I'll give the ref the benefit (although I'd hope most of the time, they're better than me).

Sorry but I have absolutely no idea how you could see that incident as a foul by Akanji !!

Yeah, the ref has thought Casemiro has stepped across and got his body inbetween Akanji and the ball and then been fouled. Clearly that's not the case, but Casemiro's acting managed to deceive the ref who probably reacted too quickly if anything.

The worst thing about var in this situation is that they can check to see if it's a red card, decide to leave it as it was a yellow (in their opinion), but then still leave united with the freekick. It's ludicrous.

Fuck 'clear and obvious', just fix the decision.
I understand it looks daft - but you don't want VAR intervening on every yellow/foul as there are many times more per match. If you then say they can overturn a yellow/foul etc., but only if they *think* there might have been a red card offence then you're opening up a whole new can of worms.

Some on here would have another angle for the grand conspiracy ;)

Sorry but I have absolutely no idea how you could see that incident as a foul by Akanji !!
Because the ref gets to see it once at full speed. From the angle he's looking, Akanji has overhit the ball, which he did, and Casemiro would look to have his right foot close to play the ball. Akanji is definitely stretching to get there, and so if the ref can't see the contact exactly, the fact that Casemiro pretends he's been hurt, it's a reasonable decision, even if totally wrong.

It's only when you look at the replay/other angles does it become absolutely clear, but you can see how the ref might have made a mistake at full speed.

I understand it looks daft - but you don't want VAR intervening on every yellow/foul as there are many times more per match. If you then say they can overturn a yellow/foul etc., but only if they *think* there might have been a red card offence then you're opening up a whole new can of worms.

Some on here would have another angle for the grand conspiracy ;)

Yeah true enough. Sticking with a wrong decision after having checked for a red card seems a bit mad though. Imagine if they'd lumped the freekick upfield and scored from it.

I go back to var just not working how it's currently set up.

Instead get back to proper reffing and give each team 1 review per match. You can use it for anything you think is incorrect, if you're right you keep it, if you're wrong that's your appeal gone. If there's a review, the ref goes to the screen and has a proper look at it and decides based on that.

I'd go the opposite way - almost all handballs aren't worth a penalty, so unless it's a really obvious one, no penalty.
But that is the problem. I agree in theory - but as long as you have subjectivity then we will lose out. Make it black and white with no possibility for anybody to say "in my opinion" - cos as long as you have opinions you have corruption

Hence why I picked incompetence from your list of reasons. VAR looked at a potential red, which means they flagged up the error to the ref, but there's nothing else they can do. Casemiro, was snide, and bought that. When I saw it live, I thought it was a foul by Akanji, so I'll give the ref the benefit (although I'd hope most of the time, they're better than me).
they give thr BS not there to re-ref the game
best get out clause
subjective lol

But that is the problem. I agree in theory - but as long as you have subjectivity then we will lose out. Make it black and white with no possibility for anybody to say "in my opinion" - cos as long as you have opinions you have corruption
Sure - but the harder it is to give them, the less subjective decisions. I think handball penalties should be very rare - if we're talking a handful a season across the whole Premier League then less chance of there being a dodgy one.

How far away was the linesman from this ?
The fourth official had the reverse view from the referee, uninterrupted and about 10m away.
you might have thought that an intelligent referee who cared about getting the decision right, when hearing that VAR was reviewing for a possible red card for Casemiro, would have reacted. He should have made a show of going over to the fourth official and then reversing his decision to at least give the free kick City’s way. VAR couldn’t intervene directly but the referee is allowed to consult with the fourth official and change his mind. By not doing so he has made himself look like a fool or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.