VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think no-one doubts the referee made a mistake. That is obvious. it happens. The question is why VAR can't advise him to change his decision having looked at it.

I mean, it's ridiculous, they are looking at a potential red card for Casemiro, but they can't get the free kick right? It's incredible and, once again, reduces the whole of VAR to a joke.
Yet again they provide evidence of bias against City. Not a mistake simply a decision to ignore what is obvious to the layman using PL rules on a process that is supposed to correct real time ref mistakes.

Add it to the rest of our evidence.

But what if it was Akanji doing that tackle, Do you think they don't send him off because it may ruin the spectacle of the final, NOPE, it's simple they don't want Manchester City winning and Akanji would have been sent off on one review off the tackle
I agree there.

I meant that they “protect the spectacle” when we play, as they did in our games against Arsenal and Liverpool.

We are too good that we can make a mockery for the competitions so, as I have said many times, the officials often work to “balance” the matches.

All the answers are there to see that the officials are cheating Just go and watch the final again, the referee does not even signal goal for both of the city goals, you can see he is listening into the earpiece and they are saying hold on lets see can we spot something to cancel it

Yeah but VAR is constantly involved. They’re continually monitoring play.

Understand, but why were they looking at the Akanji/Casemiro incident? If I remember from the commentary, they said the VAR was looking at it. So there must have been communication. Why not then get the decision right? No red card for Akanji just makes a mockery of the whole thing.

I am no fan of VAR, but they do make themselves look like complete idiots regularly, and unnecessarily.

Then what is the argument against intervening in the case of the Casemiro challenge to ensure the correct decision is reached (at least a yellow and free kick to City)?
I just wanted to also emphasise that giving Casemiro a yellow with more than 75 minutes left in the match would have significantly impacted United’s ability to keep us in check, as well.

It is something that is getting lost in the debate of why he was not sent off.

Tierney was “balancing” the match by farcically giving the free kick in favour of United, as otherwise he would have had to at least give Casemiro a yellow, hamstringing the ref for the rest of the match, given Casemiro is notorious for putting in many cynical and/or late challenges throughout a match.

For me, it was a intentional ploy to avoid booking Casemiro.

We all understand that, but they were already looking at this, presumably for a red for Casemiro. They couldn't have been looking at a red for Akanji, could they? So, ignoring the current protocol, and having looked at the incident, do you have one reason why they shouldn't be allowed to change the decision to yellow for Casemiro and a free kick to City? They were all made to look stupid in one of the most-watched matches of the year on a global scale through shear pig-headedness. Well done, PGMOL.
Yes - because that means that you're now introducing an additional way for VAR to intervene, and one with a much lower bar. Refs make mistakes - but you're suggesting they should overturn the minor ones, but ONLY when there's a VAR review for red?

By doing that you've now made it a condition of every VAR red review to look for a possible yellow, which is obviously a much lower bar. So, it's only when they suspect a red, but then decide it's a yellow that they intervene. All the other instances where it should have been yellow, or a foul is given the wrong way, aren't considered - just some.

It's nothing to do with PGMOL - every VAR system would be the same - they can't start dishing out yellows, or overturning fouls, just because there happened to be a red review.

Then what is the argument against intervening in the case of the Casemiro challenge to ensure the correct decision is reached (at least a yellow and free kick to City)?

Because they are only allowed to get involved to help correct decisions in four specific areas.

Goals
Penalty’s
Red cards
Mistaken identify.

They can’t advice on yellow cards or reversing free kicks. That’s not an argument against them doing that. It’s just the way it is at present.

I always thought you were ticking the box of wanting less VAR?

Now you're suggesting we should have more, and that not only more, it should be for yellow cards/incorrectly given free kicks, instead of only reds/goals.

If you don't trust VAR, then giving them an opportunity to yellow card City players, simply by saying that they *thought* it *might* be a red, doesn't seem to be an obvious path to take.

Or is it only when it's "clear and obvious" that you want more VAR ;)

Because they are only allowed to get involved to help correct decisions in four specific areas.

Goals
Penalty’s
Red cards
Mistaken identify.

They can’t advice on yellow cards or reversing free kicks. That’s not an argument against them doing that. It’s just the way it is at present.
I understand the protocol now, but it seemed you were arguing that VAR shouldn’t get involved in these types of incidents (even though they were already involved) because it would lead to too much VAR intervention.

Did I misunderstand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.