VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is different or better about "semi-automated" offsides vs how it was done before?

Ok, good luck in your quest. I suspect it will be a long and wordy futile one though.
Well VAR continues to have a long and futile effect on goals being scored. So as it stands, VAR will continue to plague the sport and drive fans mad, making my stance that the system needs to go much easier to articulate than those like yourself trying to argue that VAR should stay. I'd rather be on the side of tradition and normal football than then of trying to argue in support of this sham and detriment to the sport.

Well VAR continues to have a long and futile effect on goals being scores. So as it stands, VAR will continue to plague the sport and drive fans mad, making my stance that the system needs to go much easier to articulate than those like yourself trying to argue that VAR should stay. I'd rather be on the side of tradition and normal football than then of trying to argue for VAR.
It actually allowed more disallowed goals than disallowed awarded goals in the Premier League last season.

It isn’t going away, so for most, it will just be a case of either making peace with it, or constantly being worked up about it.

Every week there is a discussion about VAR. While it should not be. Last night again. And anyone saw the outcome on the pitch.
Now what about the fans unable to cheer after a goal. Or the unclear and inconsistent handball decisions. It there a toe or an elbow or a shoelace that makes an offside situation.
Therefore I stick to my point: cancel VAR.

But obviously it won’t go away. It will spoil the beautiful game. So I hope the ones who decide make it work. Like it works for rugby. Or hockey. As it is now it’s simply changing the discussion from referee to VAR.

I was asking for you to explain the new process in your own words. It's the same process.

Semi-Automated Offside Technology - ‘Enhancing the flow of the game’

Semi-Automated Offside Technology (SAOT), used officially for the first time at the recent UEFA Super Cup match between Real Madrid and Eintracht Frankfurt in Helsinki, enables video assistant referee (VAR) teams to determine offside situations quickly and more accurately – "enhancing the flow of the game and the consistency of the decisions," said Rosetti.

If the claim is that semi-automated offside technology enables them to make decisions quickly and more accurately, that just failed didn't it with the extended delay.

IFAB clarifies offside ‘deliberate play/deflection’ guidelines

Following a number of high-profile situations and based on the expectation that a player who is clearly in an offside position should not become ‘onside’ on all occasions when an opponent moves and touches the ball, football’s lawmakers, the International Football Association Board (IFAB), after discussions with football stakeholders – including UEFA – have clarified the guidelines for distinguishing between ‘deliberate play’ and ‘deflection’.

New guidelines based on the expectation that a player who is clearly in an offside position should not become ‘onside’ on all occasions when an opponent moves and touches the ball?

Kane wasn't "clearly" in an offsides position. For a player to be "clearly" in an offsides position, it would be noticeable with the naked eye in real-time or wouldn't come down to lines needing to be drawn. So again we hear that offsides doesn't need to be clear or obvious, but then their language as it pertains to these guidelines is precisely that. They've created a new expectation that deflections no longer put a "clearly" offsides player onside unless it's deemed to be "deliberate". To reiterate, these clarifications are more than clarifications, they are reinforcements of reinterpretations that were put in for VAR which are in direct conflict with the traditional law as it was written and always applied prior to VAR's introduction.

2 real options:

1. Fix it.
2. F*ck it off.

Either one needs to happen soon because fans are sick of it in its current state.
They've had over 4 years to fix it, yet still the same problems persist. It's been given long enough yet it continues to fail with the same problems from 3-4 years ago, It continues to be a blight on the sport and it needs to be removed from the sport. So we can get back to normal football once again. So matches and flow naturally once again. So fans can go back to celebrating goals without having their euphoria interrupted and made to look like fools for wrongly celebrating.

I was asking for you to explain the new process in your own words. It's the same process.

Semi-Automated Offside Technology (SAOT), used officially for the first time at the recent UEFA Super Cup match between Real Madrid and Eintracht Frankfurt in Helsinki, enables video assistant referee (VAR) teams to determine offside situations quickly and more accurately – "enhancing the flow of the game and the consistency of the decisions," said Rosetti.

If the claim is that semi-automated offside technology enables them to make decisions quickly and more accurately, that just failed didn't it with the extended delay.

Following a number of high-profile situations and based on the expectation that a player who is clearly in an offside position should not become ‘onside’ on all occasions when an opponent moves and touches the ball, football’s lawmakers, the International Football Association Board (IFAB), after discussions with football stakeholders – including UEFA – have clarified the guidelines for distinguishing between ‘deliberate play’ and ‘deflection’.

New guidelines based on the expectation that a player who is clearly in an offside position should not become ‘onside’ on all occasions when an opponent moves and touches the ball?

Kane wasn't "clearly" in an offsides position. For a player to be "clearly" in an offsides position, it would be noticeable with the naked eye in real-time or wouldn't come down to lines needing to be drawn. So again we hear that offsides doesn't need to be clear or obvious, but then their language as it pertains to these guidelines is precisely that. They've created a new expectation that deflections no longer put a "clearly" offsides player onside unless it's deemed to be "deliberate". To reiterate, these clarifications are more than clarifications, they are reinforcements of reinterpretations that were put in for VAR which are in direct conflict with the traditional law as it was written and always applied prior to VAR's introduction.
This isn’t meant as a dig at you, but I can’t be arsed. Good luck in your quest to save football.

While I can sympathise that there's an argument "clearly" is the wrong word to use, but it doesn't matter at all in this position. That clarification was to deal with situations like the Rodri/Mings incident against Villa.

The clarification is as follows:
-------
‘Deliberate play’ is when a player has control of the ball with the possibility of:

• passing the ball to a team-mate; or
  • gaining possession of the ball; or
  • clearing the ball (e.g. by kicking or heading it).

If the pass, attempt to gain possession or clearance by the player in control of the ball is inaccurate or unsuccessful, this does not negate the fact that the player ‘deliberately played’ the ball.

The following criteria should be used, as appropriate, as indicators that a player was in control of the ball and, as a result, ‘deliberately played’ the ball:

• The ball travelled from distance and the player had a clear view of it
  • The ball was not moving quickly
  • The direction of the ball was not unexpected
  • The player had time to coordinate their body movement, i.e. it was not a case of instinctive stretching or jumping, or a movement that achieved limited contact/control
  • A ball moving on the ground is easier to play than a ball in the air
-----------------------
With Kane, I assume the delay was not working out the offside, which would be pretty much instant (assuming the auto system was working), but whether the defender deliberately played the ball.

This is a subjective decision, and given the importance of the goal, I assume there was some debate or even disagreement. Given the above guidelines, I think it's correct that the ball wasn't deliberately played, and so the goal was rightly ruled out, even if it appears harsh. It's ultimately then a simple on/off decision, and they would have know it was off from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.