VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
So 8 games just played where the stakes were huge. Would I be right in saying not a single bad call in all those games? No snide off-the-ball stuff? No horror tackles? No goalkeepers infringing the stay-on-the-line rule in the shoot-outs? No stupid grappling at corner kicks? No offside errors? Hardly an error at all in any of the games played?

Is that not extraordinary?

Might there be something in this VAR business after all?
You spoke too soon.

We just had an absolute HOWLER in the Morocco France match.

How in the world was this a foul on the Boufal?? And worse yet, a yellow card?? This was a CLEAR and OBVIOUS ERROR! Yet the referee wasn't sent to the monitor. This incident shows how broken VAR is. Had the referee been sent to the monitor he surely reverses his decision and gives this as a penalty for a dangerous tackle following the touch.

Theo Hernandez slide tackled into Boufal who was inside the box. While they both got a foot on to the ball before the contact occurred, if anyone committed a foul here, it was clearly Hernandez who slid right into him after the touch and took him out.

Whether or not this is a penalty is debatable, since he got a touch on the ball. But it certainly wasn't a foul on Morocco and Boufal didn't deserve yellow card for a foul he didn't commit.

Was the referee influenced by Hernandez going down and being in pain following the collision? He saw a collision and blew the whistle, then decided to not only call a foul on Boufal for playing the ball and then getting taken out by an out of control slide tackle, but decide to give the player taken out a yellow card.

Take a look at this article explaining the situation and why VAR is flawed :

The only way Boufal's yellow card could be rescinded would be if there was a VAR overturn to award a penalty.

If the referee blew his whistle instinctively due to the contact and the reaction from Hernandez, then he has to then call a foul on either player to justify the whistle. He probably wasn't sure if it was a penalty, so he had called a foul on the attacker, which creates a problem since he didn't commit a foul, then doubles down and gives him a yellow card. Then on review due to how poorly designed VAR is, they can't reverse the foul decision or the yellow card decision unless they award a penalty, which they could have. Even if you don't believe it was a penalty, then the whistle should never have been blown and Morocco may have scored anyway with a loose ball in the penalty area.

Bottom line : VAR didn't stop a horrible howler of a decision to occur here, even if you don't think that should be a penalty due to the touch on the ball, the decision to stop play and call a foul on Boufal stopped Morocco from having an opportunity to score in the run of play. So it was a clear and obvious error from the referee to call a foul on the wrong player which was not able to be corrected by VAR.

There is an argument that this should still be a penalty despite the first touch on the ball, due to it being a dangerous challenge and him taking out the attacker with his other leg and preventing a goal scoring opportunity.

Worth mentioning the uproar had we had no VAR and that blatant shove on Mount went unpunished, the ref would never have gave that - would of been the main talking point and pages of slating the ref for costing us the game.
I know I'm going to be in the minority on this one, and I'm not saying it shouldn't have been given as a penalty, clearly it was a horrible shove and deserved to be a penalty "for the action" when looking at it on replay.

However, it should be said that the shove, as bad as it was, it did not prevent a goal scoring opportunity. The cross was too far away to be received by Mount, it was on its way to the goalkeeper's arms regardless of if the shove happened. Now, this is why in my mind the referee did not award a penalty in real-time, because he saw that the ball was "unplayable" (too far away on the cross for Mount to get to it, even if the shove didn't happen) and that the shove did not prevent Mount from playing the the ball and having an opportunity to score.

That is why football is better officiated in real-time than through replay review. Replay review forced the referee to judge the shove itself rather than its relation to the ball and its ability to be played. That's not to say that it shouldn't have been a penalty due to how bad the shove was. The penalty was warranted, however, it was acceptable as a no-call in real-time due to the fact that the ball couldn't be played.

And think of this, had the penalty not been given, had there been no VAR review, Harry Kane right now wouldn't be living the nightmare he will have to live with for the rest of his life. Harry Kane would still be seen as a clutch penalty kick taker even if England went on to lose. And without the long VAR review and penalty delay, England could have possibly found the equalizer another way with having more time to score.

The point is, VAR sucks and changes the game even if it makes a call that is justifiable like the 2nd penalty to England on the shove. I would have been fine with the no-call due to the fact that it didn't prevent a goal scoring opportunity. As an England fan, it would have been better for England to lose without that being given as a penalty, without Kane missing the penalty, then we could always talk about how the ref should have given a penalty for the shove and that was why England lose. At least then we would have an excuse why we lost!! Losing that way would have been a better scenario then VAR giving a penalty then Kane floating the PK over the cross bar!!

The worse part about all this is that the same player involved in that (Hernandez) didn't even get sent off for that shove, which he could have. And he ends up being involved in another dangerous play in the next match, this time a slide tackling HOWLER that could have been given to Morocco and been the equalizer. And the Morocco player has the foul called on him and worse gets a yellow card for a foul that could have been a penalty for his team from more dangerous play by Hernandez in the 2nd match in a row!!

All this shows is that VAR is worthless, there's no consistency here. And while the shove on Mount as bad as it was, did not prevent a goal scoring opportunity due to the cross being out of range, whereas on the slide tackle against Morocco it clearly prevented a goal scoring opportunity.

So you've given a penalty via a VAR monitor review on a shove that didn't prevent a goal scoring opportunity and ended up destroying Harry Kane's reputation as a penalty taker while not going to the monitor on a play in the next match against Morocco that did prevent a goal scoring opportunity. It's absolute bollocks!!

Yes I understand that.

But the point was that people will always complain about referees affecting the result as long as there are referees to complain about, irrespective of VAR. So your point that people would have been complaining about the referee if VAR hadn't been there doesn't really hold up when people are still complaining about the referee even with VAR there.

If you had said that there were fewer things to complain about the referee's performance with VAR, then that would be right. Hopefully.

Anyway, small point.

Ironically, England may have been in a better position mentally if the penalty wasn't given rather than was given and missed spectacularly. They were looking pretty good for a while and an equaliser wasn't out of the question in the time remaining. The missed penalty may have deflated them.
It's not such a small point, it's a large point that I addressed in my previous post, that England would have been in a better position mentally had the penalty not been given, given how it played out. Obviously you want the penalty in the moment, and especially after looking at the slow-mo replay seeing how "bad" and "intentional" the shove looked. But in slow-motion everything looks worse than it actually is in real-time, and that's a fact. And yet no ones talking about how the ball was unplayable in the first place even without the shove. That should be a consideration in these kinds of situations. To use a bad analogy to illustrate this point, lets take the American NFL for example (I know, I know, the NFL isn't football, but hear me out) if there's a pass interference penalty in American Football's NFL but the ball is deemed to be "uncatchable" (too far away to be caught) the penalty gets waived off and it's not a penalty.

This same principle doesn't exactly translate to football, but it could. And it certainly makes a no-call in a situation that could be a penalty but wasn't in a situation away from the ball more justifiable. I bring this up because VAR is clearly inspired by the NFL instant replay system and many of the same "replay decision-making" principles apply when reviewing NFL plays and football plays alike. If you don't like the American NFL and how they do things with all their instant replay stoppages, then why do you like VAR? VAR is basically football's version of NFL's instant replay and why I don't like VAR is because they're trying to make the beautiful game more like the NFL's stop and go style which doesn't belong in football!

We can all agree that "missed" penalty decisions (I don't mean not missed PKs, I mean penalties / fouls on the pitch in the box that are missed by the referee and not given) are much harder to stomach when the missed foul prevented a goal scoring opportunity. When a foul occurs away from the ball that doesn't prevent a goal-scoring opportunity, I'm not saying it shouldn't be given, but it really depends on the situation. But if a foul in the box doesn't prevent a goal scoring opportunity, then while it still could be given, it's less warranted than if it did.

The fact that the shove didn't prevent a goal scoring opportunity made a real-time no-call stomach-able but the end result as the result of a long VAR review and a horrendous penalty miss by Harry Kane results in a nightmarish scenario that never would have occurred in a football world without VAR.

For all we know, without VAR, England finds an equalizer another way, and Harry Kane ends up being the hero and England are in the Final. What I'm getting at is that VAR alters the natural history of football in agonizing ways, which is why it shouldn't exist, it doesn't solve anything, it doesn't improve officiating by and large.

I'll agree that for most of the WC there hasn't been many VAR controversies. There's been a few, but overall it's been marginally better compared to how its been handled in the Premier League or in the last WC, but all it takes is one situation like these France VAR situations to remind us how problematic it is, how it creates mores problems than it solves and we still end up with controversy.

As others have said, there are still fans complaining that the ref cost England the game against France, even outside of the VAR decisions.

But frankly when we talk about how relatively "good" VAR has been for "most" of this World Cup, you have to ask yourself why that is. It's because in those matches where there hasn't been controversy, it's generally (outside of a couple of instances) because in those matches VAR hasn't been called on or used at all!

So the argument that VAR has been better in this WC is mostly because of how sparingly its been used which only reaffirms the idea that it only create problems when it's used and when it's not used fans are happy with it. If fans are more happy about how VAR is being used here in the WC, when it's not been used as often as it was in the Premier League on a per match basis for example, then that pretty much speaks for itself. VAR is better when it's not used because every time it's used, there's often controversy. And when it isn't used in situation where fans think it should, it crates more controversy and more outage.

And two more things that I'd like to bring up that is very apparent throughout the tournament. The endless appeals from players throughout matches, every time a ball goes out for a goal kick or a corner, at least one player always has his hand up as if to say "out on him" "it should be our ball ref". This happens ad naseum throughout each match and this was never a thing (at least not to this extent) before VAR.

Further, as we know, VAR doesn't review goal kick / corner kicks, but there's been plenty of "clear and obvious errors" throughout this tournament as it pertains to goal kick / corner kick decisions, several in the France Morocco match that the Morocco players kept complaining about. And looking at the replays, in many cases (not all, but some) they appeared to be right and had a case that they deserved another corner kick or two.

Then there's the offside problem with continues to annoy the spectator. Throughout this tournament the linesman have allowed play to continue after clear offside situations only for the resulting play to commence then a late offside decision given. This is not satisfactory in any way. For a play that we know is offsides to continue on for 10 or 15 seconds, then for offsides to be given after something else happened, it's aggravating to watch every time this occurs.

Obviously there are situations that are too hard for the linesman to call and play is allowed to continue, but there were numerous instances in that France Morocco match where offsides was clear as day but play was allowed to continue, only for it to be called back. This is another bad consequence of VAR's existence. For the rare case of a missed offside or the rare case of an offside incorrectly given in real-time, we now often have multiple instances per game of clear offsides being seen but yet play being allowed to continue only to be pulled back. I'm not saying this new VAR-induced scenario is worse than offsides howlers from the past, but clearly play being allowed to continue despite clear offsides only to be pulled back happens far more often than offsides howlers ever did, and in the case where play being allowed to continue resulted in a goal or a penalty, the controversy is then compounded by false play continuing situations that would have and should have been flagged right away if it wasn't for VAR.

Another thing I noticed also about the semi-automated offsides system. Earlier in the tournament, in the group stage matches, every time there was a marginal offside decision, they would "show off" their new offside graphical display that showed if the player was on or off. However in the knockout matches, it seems like they stopped showing those new offsides graphics anymore. Like in the France Morocco match for example, there was a marginal offsides called against Morocco that resulted in a goal scoring opportunity for Morocco. Play was allowed to continue a shot was taken and went out of play for a goal kick if I'm not mistaken. Then after the play was over the offside came up. Imagine if he had scored on that then after the goal it was called back for a marginal offside. The offsides situation under VAR is clearly a massive scandal waiting to happen.

But anyway, moments later they showed how close the offside decision was, it was one of those offsides maybe by an armpit or something, but they didn't show that offside graphical display that they were showing earlier in the tournament. It seemed that at some point in the tournament, maybe after the group stages, they stopped showing those new offsides graphic displays. This begs the question, why did they stop showing these? Isn't that the proof and evidence of the semi-automated offsides? Did they just go back to the old way of just guesstimating offsides and drawing lines again after the group stages? What happened to those new graphical displays of offsides that they were using earlier in the tournament?

I know I'm going to be in the minority on this one, and I'm not saying it shouldn't have been given as a penalty, clearly it was a horrible shove and deserved to be a penalty "for the action" when looking at it on replay.

However, it should be said that the shove, as bad as it was, it did not prevent a goal scoring opportunity. The cross was too far away to be received by Mount, it was on its way to the goalkeeper's arms regardless of if the shove happened. Now, this is why in my mind the referee did not award a penalty in real-time, because he saw that the ball was "unplayable" (too far away on the cross for Mount to get to it, even if the shove didn't happen) and that the shove did not prevent Mount from playing the the ball and having an opportunity to score.

That is why football is better officiated in real-time than through replay review. Replay review forced the referee to judge the shove itself rather than its relation to the ball and its ability to be played. That's not to say that it shouldn't have been a penalty due to how bad the shove was. The penalty was warranted, however, it was acceptable as a no-call in real-time due to the fact that the ball couldn't be played.

And think of this, had the penalty not been given, had there been no VAR review, Harry Kane right now wouldn't be living the nightmare he will have to live with for the rest of his life. Harry Kane would still be seen as a clutch penalty kick taker even if England went on to lose. And without the long VAR review and penalty delay, England could have possibly found the equalizer another way with having more time to score.

The point is, VAR sucks and changes the game even if it makes a call that is justifiable like the 2nd penalty to England on the shove. I would have been fine with the no-call due to the fact that it didn't prevent a goal scoring opportunity. As an England fan, it would have been better for England to lose without that being given as a penalty, without Kane missing the penalty, then we could always talk about how the ref should have given a penalty for the shove and that was why England lose. At least then we would have an excuse why we lost!! Losing that way would have been a better scenario then VAR giving a penalty then Kane floating the PK over the cross bar!!

The worse part about all this is that the same player involved in that (Hernandez) didn't even get sent off for that shove, which he could have. And he ends up being involved in another dangerous play in the next match, this time a slide tackling HOWLER that could have been given to Morocco and been the equalizer. And the Morocco player has the foul called on him and worse gets a yellow card for a foul that could have been a penalty for his team from more dangerous play by Hernandez in the 2nd match in a row!!

All this shows is that VAR is worthless, there's no consistency here. And while the shove on Mount as bad as it was, did not prevent a goal scoring opportunity due to the cross being out of range, whereas on the slide tackle against Morocco it clearly prevented a goal scoring opportunity.

So you've given a penalty via a VAR monitor review on a shove that didn't prevent a goal scoring opportunity and ended up destroying Harry Kane's reputation as a penalty taker while not going to the monitor on a play in the next match against Morocco that did prevent a goal scoring opportunity. It's absolute bollocks!!

It's not such a small point, it's a large point that I addressed in my previous post, that England would have been in a better position mentally had the penalty not been given, given how it played out. Obviously you want the penalty in the moment, and especially after looking at the slow-mo replay seeing how "bad" and "intentional" the shove looked. But in slow-motion everything looks worse than it actually is in real-time, and that's a fact. And yet no ones talking about how the ball was unplayable in the first place even without the shove. That should be a consideration in these kinds of situations. To use a bad analogy to illustrate this point, lets take the American NFL for example (I know, I know, the NFL isn't football, but hear me out) if there's a pass interference penalty in American Football's NFL but the ball is deemed to be "uncatchable" (too far away to be caught) the penalty gets waived off and it's not a penalty.

This same principle doesn't exactly translate to football, but it could. And it certainly makes a no-call in a situation that could be a penalty but wasn't in a situation away from the ball more justifiable. I bring this up because VAR is clearly inspired by the NFL instant replay system and many of the same "replay decision-making" principles apply when reviewing NFL plays and football plays alike. If you don't like the American NFL and how they do things with all their instant replay stoppages, then why do you like VAR? VAR is basically football's version of NFL's instant replay and why I don't like VAR is because they're trying to make the beautiful game more like the NFL's stop and go style which doesn't belong in football!

We can all agree that "missed" penalty decisions (I don't mean not missed PKs, I mean penalties / fouls on the pitch in the box that are missed by the referee and not given) are much harder to stomach when the missed foul prevented a goal scoring opportunity. When a foul occurs away from the ball that doesn't prevent a goal-scoring opportunity, I'm not saying it shouldn't be given, but it really depends on the situation. But if a foul in the box doesn't prevent a goal scoring opportunity, then while it still could be given, it's less warranted than if it did.

The fact that the shove didn't prevent a goal scoring opportunity made a real-time no-call stomach-able but the end result as the result of a long VAR review and a horrendous penalty miss by Harry Kane results in a nightmarish scenario that never would have occurred in a football world without VAR.

For all we know, without VAR, England finds an equalizer another way, and Harry Kane ends up being the hero and England are in the Final. What I'm getting at is that VAR alters the natural history of football in agonizing ways, which is why it shouldn't exist, it doesn't solve anything, it doesn't improve officiating by and large.

I'll agree that for most of the WC there hasn't been many VAR controversies. There's been a few, but overall it's been marginally better compared to how its been handled in the Premier League or in the last WC, but all it takes is one situation like these France VAR situations to remind us how problematic it is, how it creates mores problems than it solves and we still end up with controversy.

As others have said, there are still fans complaining that the ref cost England the game against France, even outside of the VAR decisions.

But frankly when we talk about how relatively "good" VAR has been for "most" of this World Cup, you have to ask yourself why that is. It's because in those matches where there hasn't been controversy, it's generally (outside of a couple of instances) because in those matches VAR hasn't been called on or used at all!

So the argument that VAR has been better in this WC is mostly because of how sparingly its been used which only reaffirms the idea that it only create problems when it's used and when it's not used fans are happy with it. If fans are more happy about how VAR is being used here in the WC, when it's not been used as often as it was in the Premier League on a per match basis for example, then that pretty much speaks for itself. VAR is better when it's not used because every time it's used, there's often controversy. And when it isn't used in situation where fans think it should, it crates more controversy and more outage.

And two more things that I'd like to bring up that is very apparent throughout the tournament. The endless appeals from players throughout matches, every time a ball goes out for a goal kick or a corner, at least one player always has his hand up as if to say "out on him" "it should be our ball ref". This happens ad naseum throughout each match and this was never a thing (at least not to this extent) before VAR.

Further, as we know, VAR doesn't review goal kick / corner kicks, but there's been plenty of "clear and obvious errors" throughout this tournament as it pertains to goal kick / corner kick decisions, several in the France Morocco match that the Morocco players kept complaining about. And looking at the replays, in many cases (not all, but some) they appeared to be right and had a case that they deserved another corner kick or two.

Then there's the offside problem with continues to annoy the spectator. Throughout this tournament the linesman have allowed play to continue after clear offside situations only for the resulting play to commence then a late offside decision given. This is not satisfactory in any way. For a play that we know is offsides to continue on for 10 or 15 seconds, then for offsides to be given after something else happened, it's aggravating to watch every time this occurs.

Obviously there are situations that are too hard for the linesman to call and play is allowed to continue, but there were numerous instances in that France Morocco match where offsides was clear as day but play was allowed to continue, only for it to be called back. This is another bad consequence of VAR's existence. For the rare case of a missed offside or the rare case of an offside incorrectly given in real-time, we now often have multiple instances per game of clear offsides being seen but yet play being allowed to continue only to be pulled back. I'm not saying this new VAR-induced scenario is worse than offsides howlers from the past, but clearly play being allowed to continue despite clear offsides only to be pulled back happens far more often than offsides howlers ever did, and in the case where play being allowed to continue resulted in a goal or a penalty, the controversy is then compounded by false play continuing situations that would have and should have been flagged right away if it wasn't for VAR.

Another thing I noticed also about the semi-automated offsides system. Earlier in the tournament, in the group stage matches, every time there was a marginal offside decision, they would "show off" their new offside graphical display that showed if the player was on or off. However in the knockout matches, it seems like they stopped showing those new offsides graphics anymore. Like in the France Morocco match for example, there was a marginal offsides called against Morocco that resulted in a goal scoring opportunity for Morocco. Play was allowed to continue a shot was taken and went out of play for a goal kick if I'm not mistaken. Then after the play was over the offside came up. Imagine if he had scored on that then after the goal it was called back for a marginal offside. The offsides situation under VAR is clearly a massive scandal waiting to happen.

But anyway, moments later they showed how close the offside decision was, it was one of those offsides maybe by an armpit or something, but they didn't show that offside graphical display that they were showing earlier in the tournament. It seemed that at some point in the tournament, maybe after the group stages, they stopped showing those new offsides graphic displays. This begs the question, why did they stop showing these? Isn't that the proof and evidence of the semi-automated offsides? Did they just go back to the old way of just guesstimating offsides and drawing lines again after the group stages? What happened to those new graphical displays of offsides that they were using earlier in the tournament?

A lot to digest in those posts. Let me have a think about them.

But about the SAOT, you must have been reading my mind. I was just going to ask how many times it has been used, or more accurately how many times the CGI was used. I remember a couple in the group stages, but not at all since? Granted I haven't watched all the games, and maybe all the goals since were clear cut, but what is the feeling?

As I understand it, the offside call in FRA/MAR you are talking about worked according to protocol, I think. We can always discuss the protocol though ....

Probably the least ‘outraged’ over officials decisions there’s been in any major tournament- very few incidences where the officials have got it totally wrong

Sure we can all point to one every now and then and make a massive meal over it - that will always happen

But where’s the diving without contact and winning penalty’s gone? Where’s the off the ball elbows and dangerous play going unpunished gone? Where’s the goals that were clearly offside yet given gone ? It’s easy to forget how many clear incidences like the above we come to accept in previous tournaments

VAR has worked very well this WC , ultimately they still leave decisions in the refs hands to allow the flow of the game but when called upon VAR has got it spot on and there’s been very few games where officials have made howlers - not forgetting every game is another 6-8 minutes longer

Hope they can maintain this level for this domestic game

That’s a lot of mish mash

You agree it was a foul, you agree Var was right to award it

But you would have preferred this clear shove to unpunished because Kane missed the penalty and it ruined his reputation - what if he scored ?!

It was a foul, it was the right decision to give the pen regardless of how the game pans out after.

As for Morocco incident - French player got the ball cleanly so no penalty (although debated by the panel in the studio) because of the follow through , always going to be split views as not every incident is going to he clear cut in football.
Do agree Boufal unlucky to receive the yellow and I think football needs to look at rescinding yellow cards that shouldn’t have been.

If this has been pretty much the only major talking point on a decision - it shows how good the officiating and VAR has been

Morocco Out Of World Cup after VAR Howler.

The howler being that some argue they could have had a penalty even though the French player got to the ball first, That’s it?

They’re out the World Cup because they had so many chances to score and couldn’t take them

I’m sure every single game will have split decisions at some point by fans - so we can forever just blame VAR for the outcome. Easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.