Veganism

Again, you're preaching. Passing judgement on a person's ethics based on their eating habits. How can you possibly know what sort of character a person is because of their dietary habits? You can't.

Well, if I am I am not intending to. I just think, if you have the information, the facts, and you keep on eating meat/dairy, then you are indeed selfish in that aspect. I suppose I should qualify, we are selfish by nature and it's very hard not to be selfish. I wasn't making it personal. There are obviously meat eaters who are wonderful people and yet are ignorant and deluded. To weigh the pain of the animals you've paid to be slaughtered against how yummy it is, is pretty silly.

If we stop eating these animals and consuming their dairy there is no longer a point in their existence and they will become extinct anyway.

BlueTangerine: 8893645 said:
People tend to laugh at this, and I don't really see what's funny.

I feel like once you know the facts of your existence, you are logically obligated to not eat meat or dairy/perpetuate suffering you know is happening. In basically the same way you wouldn't yourself want to be farmed, tortured, live a miserable life, and have a miserable death. Vegans cause less harm, that's just how it is.

Life arose in a cesspit billions of years ago and has been evolving ever since with no intelligence or any compassion for sentient life whatsoever. Life is imposed, so you have no choice in playing the game, you just suddenly arrive on planet Earth. We grow up seeing nature at work, and some people think it's beautiful, which is strange because we all know the miseries that happen to sentient creatures every second. Most of which we can nothing about, but the bit we can do something about though (because we're smart) is the harm that we cause.

I am utterly ashamed when I think of all the meat I've eaten and how unquestioning and selfish I was. In what world, when there is plenty of stuff to eat, (and no, I am not having it that a lettuce has the capacity to feel pain like animal does) does it make any sense to exploit others?

Would beings more intelligent than ourselves cause needless suffering? I don't think so.

Can someone rationally justify themselves eating meat? Or are you forced to admit that you are just an ignorant/selfish person?

You're a brave man, making a post like this in a place like this! I've been vegan for 20 years and have reaped all the benefits, but I haven't posted about it here because I don't think it's the right place for it. You can see from the replies that people will just get defensive. Humans are extremely adept at justifying their own actions to themselves (not just dietary choices).

However the amount of cows in the world at present is apparently causing some global warming due to the methane, not sure how true it is.

Also find it funny that the only reason vegans are alive today is because of cavemen killing and scranning anything and everything.

You're a brave man, making a post like this in a place like this! I've been vegan for 20 years and have reaped all the benefits, but I haven't posted about it here because I don't think it's the right place for it. You can see from the replies that people will just get defensive. Humans are extremely adept at justifying their own actions to themselves (not just dietary choices).
Somebody talking about their dietary choices is fine and accepted.

Somebody claiming their dietary choices makes them a better, noble, moral, animal-loving human being than someone who willingly eats meat products is not. It'd be like cyclists claiming they care about climate change more than a car driver. Its a moronic and incorrect stance to have on the subject and as others have pointed out, reeks of pretentiousness.

If the thread had been about giving other tips or advice on those curious about trying a vegan diet or lifestyle then I highly doubt there would be the same 'responses' as you've seen. But it's not, it's a "Vegans goodly humans, care about nature. Meat eaters bad, hurt innocent animals for selfish flesh consumption of the many evils!" type of rhetoric which has irked a few.

:) You're bang on mate. I have only been vegan for a short time after taking a long hard serious look at life. I am not interested in the health benefits myself, I just think I would be wasting my intelligence if i continued to perpetuate needless suffering. I expected a lot of these comments. It makes me laugh that people seem to think I'm saying 'haha my life is great, I am better than you.'' My decision was entirely based on how badly constructed this life game is and it's the least I can do to try and not make it worse for others living it.

:) You're bang on mate. I have only been vegan for a short time after taking a long hard serious look at life. I am not interested in the health benefits myself, I just think I would be wasting my intelligence if continued to perpetuate needless suffering. I expected a lot of these comments. It makes me laugh that people seem to think I'm saying 'haha my life is great, I am better than you.'' My decision was entirely based on how badly constructed this life game is and it's the least I can do to try and not make it worse for others living it.

The only reason you exist is because of domesticated farmers. The only reason Britain has been a world power for so long is due to the calories it could produce.

What benefits are these?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.