Venice

I go every year.

First time I did the private boat.
Ridiculously expensive.

Second time I did the alilaguna water bus.
Cheaper, dead slow, can’t see a thing out of the windows.
Get tickets at the airport or here

Now I always take the ATVO bus direct from the airport to piazza Roma where you can then walk or get a Vaporetto water bus along the canal. It takes 20 minutes. They run about every 15 minutes.
You can buy your ATVO ticket at the airport or online here
Apart from the first journey on the vaporetto (where I thought, "My God! What is this hell!") I thought they were a fantastic way to get around and the city was far less crowded than I expected.

The Vaporetto are the best way of getting around. Horrendously expensive though at 9 euro a journey if you buy single tickets. You can get carnets of tickets slightly cheaper. Because I go so often I invested in a Venezia Unica card that gets me locals rates on the Vaporetto of about €2 a journey.
My criticism was of the Alilaguna airport water bus which takes about an hour.

Get a private boat. They meet you at the airport and take you as close to your hotel as you can get. The boats are beautiful sleek wooden varnished jobs and are the perfect way to introduce you to this unique and stunningly beautiful city. If you intend to do Venice once then do this and thank me afterwards. Not cheap but great value in memories.
Agree 100%

I go every year.

First time I did the private boat.
Ridiculously expensive.

Second time I did the alilaguna water bus.
Cheaper, dead slow, can’t see a thing out of the windows.
Get tickets at the airport or here

Now I always take the ATVO bus direct from the airport to piazza Roma where you can then walk or get a Vaporetto water bus along the canal. It takes 20 minutes. They run about every 15 minutes.
You can buy your ATVO ticket at the airport or online here
Tight arse...

The Vaporetto are the best way of getting around. Horrendously expensive though at 9 euro a journey if you buy single tickets. You can get carnets of tickets slightly cheaper. Because I go so often I invested in a Venezia Unica card that gets me locals rates on the Vaporetto of about €2 a journey.
My criticism was of the Alilaguna airport water bus which takes about an hour.
We paid 35 euros each for a 48-hour ticket, which was a little expensive for the number of times we used it, but I'd already read about the eye-watering 9 euros per single ride so at least we saved money on this!

Tight arse...
I did the private bus once.
Like I had a Bellini in Harry’s Bar for €16 …once
And a coffee in St Marks Square at some ludicrous amount…once
And ate at Osteria Alle Testiere…once
Went on a gondola…once.

Once you’ve done the touristy things there are so many more interesting things to do in Venice.

Don't make the mistake of sitting down anywhere to eat. They'll increase their prices by 50% if you even think about it.
Inclusive sit down brekky in the hotel, walking around for your dinner, sit down for your tea.

Get a bus from the airport, avoid buying souvenirs from Murano... Bob's your uncle.

Have a great time

Has anyone been recently? If so what was the best option for getting from the airport to the centre. Cheers all. Tony.
What sestiere are you staying in?
I might have some ideas for places you can eat and drink quite reasonably. Despite the myths Venice does not have to be an expensive place to visit.

Don't make the mistake of sitting down anywhere to eat. They'll increase their prices by 50% if you even think about it.
Inclusive sit down brekky in the hotel, walking around for your dinner, sit down for your tea.

Get a bus from the airport, avoid buying souvenirs from Murano... Bob's your uncle.

Have a great time
Or just stay away from places like Venice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.