Vet Fees

Our dog recently had an abscess on her paw. Cost a total of £150 for two visits and pain killers and antibiotics. We have always had insurance, luckily, as she needed an operation a couple of years ago including 3 nights recuperation in an animal hospital £4500!. She's 9 now and that is the only time we have used the insurance. So, if you are going down the self insurance route then I think saving £50 to £60 a month is realistic but obviously runs the risk of the 'big bill' arriving anytime before the pot has been built up.
Got me worried now…

Why wouldn’t they cover it mate?
We have 2 dogs and used to use pet plan but the price went through the roof as they got older, so we changed to keep the costs down and the policy didn't cover the full amount of the operation. I claimed the max amount i could back and got it a few weeks later.

We have 2 dogs and used to use pet plan but the price went through the roof as they got older, so we changed to keep the costs down and the policy didn't cover the full amount of the operation. I claimed the max amount i could back and got it a few weeks later.
Funny isn’t it when you are probably going to need it when they are older the price suddenly rockets, I see lots now where you pay first £200 and then 20% if they are over a certain age!
My wife has type 1 diabetes and life insurance is almost impossible to get without huge exceptions for her diabetes and you just know if she did die they’d try some how to blame it on her diabetes.

Funny isn’t it when you are probably going to need it when they are older the price suddenly rockets, I see lots now where you pay first £200 and then 20% if they are over a certain age!
My wife has type 1 diabetes and life insurance is almost impossible to get without huge exceptions for her diabetes and you just know if she did die they’d try some how to blame it on her diabetes.
I know this is off topic but my son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 18 months ago and the cost of travel insurance is nearly 3 times what we paid before he was diagnosed.

I know this is off topic but my son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 18 months ago and the cost of travel insurance is nearly 3 times what we paid before he was diagnosed.
Ours isn’t to bad travel wise I’d get on the compare sites, we get yearly cover for 3 of us fir £74.

Our dog recently had an abscess on her paw. Cost a total of £150 for two visits and pain killers and antibiotics. We have always had insurance, luckily, as she needed an operation a couple of years ago including 3 nights recuperation in an animal hospital £4500!. She's 9 now and that is the only time we have used the insurance. So, if you are going down the self insurance route then I think saving £50 to £60 a month is realistic but obviously runs the risk of the 'big bill' arriving anytime before the pot has been built up.
50 a month over 7 years is £4200..
£150 for the dogs abscess sounds pretty reasonable.

One of the downsides i find with insurance is it is used to keep old or very ill pets going as long a possible when the best interest of the pet would be a calm and pain free end to a beautiful life.

My merlin is at the vets today having two teeth out , the jaw is reabsorbing the teeth roots , it is agony she said , i am so pleased i took him back a second time and he has had pain killers for last three weeks , rest of teeth clean and xrays show the rest of his teeth are good , no cause , injury or infection just fairly common in cats , he is only just five years old , i was moaning at the cost £524 but now i know how much pain he has been it was worth the last of my savings, insurance wont cover any of it as it isnt injury related , oh well

Maxed out on credit card and nothing coming in except benefits so this was the last thing i needed !

Reactions: ob

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.