Vet Fees

1 of my cats had a tooth abscess. I took her to the vets. Consultation, 10 days worth of anti-biotics, 1 bottle of liquid pain killer, £135.

I took my cat back to the vets yesterday to have that tooth extracted. That was done this morning. I picked my cat up this Afternoon. £575.

My fault, I know. I’m not crying. I didn’t have cat insurance. My cat has always been well and healthy. Tomorrow I’m going to get insurance for my 4 cats.
Insurance companies dont cover dental , none of them

Our 10 year old weshie (Westie/Shitzhu cross) had her second back leg cruciate ligament go and be pinned this summer.

Nearly £4K to sort her out - no insurance because none will pay out on a second knee as they all treat a second knee problem as a continuation of the first knee going, so the typical £3K cap per incident gets exceeded on the first knee - I got the first knee on insurance 3 years ago when it was ONLY £2500. So won one, lost one, as it were.
That’s bollocks isn’t it if it was the same knee fair enough but they have four, insurance wankers

Our 10 year old weshie (Westie/Shitzhu cross) had her second back leg cruciate ligament go and be pinned this summer.

Nearly £4K to sort her out - no insurance because none will pay out on a second knee as they all treat a second knee problem as a continuation of the first knee going, so the typical £3K cap per incident gets exceeded on the first knee - I got the first knee on insurance 3 years ago when it was ONLY £2500. So won one, lost one, as it were.
I would seriously question that. I know people who have had dogs with both back hips replaced and they were treated as separate injuries.

I don't know if this has carried over across the pond, but PE firms have been buying up vet clinics and jacking up the prices.
Yep.

CMA presses ahead with full investigation into vets market​

The CMA has today confirmed its decision to launch a market investigation into the veterinary sector and published tips to help pet owners struggling with vet costs now.

I don't know if this has carried over across the pond, but PE firms have been buying up vet clinics and jacking up the prices.
Yep, Vets exactly same as dentists, opticians, funerals, nursing homes, solicitors, children's nurseries and so on. Most are now part of a big VC backed corporate chain that maximise price, minimise wages and take the difference out as profit/dividends to shareholder. Same or lower quality of service but higher price.

All part of the creeping corporatisation process that is pushing the cost of living beyond what normal people can afford.

The other thing with vets is that they are exploiting the fact pets have gone from being somewhat impersonal possessions (like cars or farm animals) to being 'fur babies' and part of the family.

If your car was worth £500 you wouldn't think of spending £1,000 to fix it, and years gone by when people were less sentimental if your dog cost you £10 you wouldn't spend £100 to fix it, you'd have it put to sleep, and buy another one.

Now with Supervet & Co. you can access the same level of medical tech as humans and are made to feel that you should spend whatever it takes to extend it's life for a year or two.

I work on a farm and it is noticeable that the large farm animal vet prices are nothing like the small animal (pets) cost. Visit from a vet, inspection of cow/bull and letter to say it is fit for slaughter or whatever, plus possibly an injection is around £100 mark.

That’s bollocks isn’t it if it was the same knee fair enough but they have four, insurance wankers
Only two back legs but sadly it was explicitly written in the T&C's of our MoreThan Pet Plan - and we believe its not uncommon - its the fact that the rectification of one knee gets close to the max limit per condition, and these buggers know if one knee goes then the other is likely to too so it becomes a 'pre-existing condition'! Google for "pet insurance cruciate exclusion" and see what I mean... :-(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.