Vieira appointed New York City FC head coach

I imagine Kreis was sacked because he had them playing like a conference team. They really were all over the shop every time I watched them. They looked unorganised and defensively a shambles.
I'm not sure wherever or not Vieira is anymore qualified as far as coaching badges are concerned but if it's true that the model in which we're trying to stick to throughout the CFG includes playing a certain way then Paddys experience at our club the last few years will give him a head start.
It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. We all know there are no certainties in football.

I was aware they were crap defensively, but I also attribute that to the calibre of defenders they have. I watched them in that friendly against the Swedish team at the academy stadium earlier in the year, and immediately it was obvious how individually poor the defenders were. They had two black centre halves who were like a comedy duo, that left back with the silly moustache, and another duffer at right back I think. When Facey came on at half time he actually calmed the whole defence down somewhat.

But of course, throw a couple of loanees into a group of poor, inexperienced defenders and you have problems. I think one of the 3 designated players should have been a centre half (a Demichelis type would have been ideal - although on paper that Iraola should have had a similar effect). I can't see Vieira suddenly turning around the defence unless they get a few upgrades in.

I think the goalies decent though.

I was aware they were crap defensively, but I also attribute that to the calibre of defenders they have. I watched them in that friendly against the Swedish team at the academy stadium earlier in the year, and immediately it was obvious how individually poor the defenders were. They had two black centre halves who were like a comedy duo, that left back with the silly moustache, and another duffer at right back I think. When Facey came on at half time he actually calmed the whole defence down somewhat.

But of course, throw a couple of loanees into a group of poor, inexperienced defenders and you have problems. I think one of the 3 designated players should have been a centre half (a Demichelis type would have been ideal - although on paper that Iraola should have had a similar effect). I can't see Vieira suddenly turning around the defence unless they get a few upgrades in.

I think the goalies decent though.
In all honesty their first season was always going to be a tough ask for whoever was in charge. He was definitely hindered by the quality of players he had to choose from and even adding in the star names didn't help, it could be argued that it made things worse I suppose.
Paddy has definitely got his work cut out and I agree if he's not given a better quality squad the same problems could quite easily resurface next season.

Expansion teams in US sports always struggle in their initial seasons based upon how the initial squad for an expansion team is "drafted". All the other teams have to give up some of their squads, which the expansion team can chose from, however the existing teams can protect a certain number of players (11 in this case), preventing the expansion team from picking them. This means that, by default, the only players available to the expansion team are those which the other sides don't believe are their best players.

Imagine if the same was done in the Premier League, each existing club could protect 11 players, and you could only draft a maximum of 2 players from any given team, how piss poor would your squad be, the worst 50% of all the squads to chose your entire squad from! And it's worse in the MLS as the depth of talent is pretty terrible in most squads so, after you've protected 11 players, those ranked 12th or below will be really pretty poor indeed. Adding a selection of over the hill 35+ year olds who are just after some quick cash isn't going to help you too much either.

Vieira won't be an instant success as his ability to revamp the squad is hampered by the MLS's "unique" set of rules, he can't just go out and spend £40m on a new group of players, he has to deal in college drafts and player trades as well as a small amount of player purchasing. Where he should be measured is the tactical side of things, if he can get them more organised, passing the ball better, defending better then he'll have been successful. He should be looking to progress to the play offs (it is easier to make the playoffs in MLS than not, as only 4 sides out of the 10 in NYCFC's conference will fail to make them) and then see where that takes him.

The perfect proving ground for the man and allows us no doubt to have a say if we want him back here.

Exactly. Vieira is viewed as having real potential as a manager so NY fans should not feel hard done to about this. I hope he does well and proves that he has what it takes to return to the mother ship as head coach.

Viera doesn't just lack MLS experience, he lacks coaching experience at senior level period. And that is why some think this a poor choice.
In a parallel universe Man City don't offer Vieira the job, he then leaves City and goes on to take his first caching job at his first job Cannes, in his first year in the job, he helps Cannes win promotion twice on the trot and then finish 2nd behind PSG and his skills are quickly seen by his former club Arsenal, and Vieira that summer replaces Arsene Wenger, the man that brought him to Arsenal, he then goes on to be the most successful Arsenal manager in history.

See how it can look the other way. Nobody knows

It’s a difficult system for struggling teams as its quite restrictive in terms of changing a squad. As I understand it they will get better options in the draft but that is basically the best options amongst untested college kids and beyond that it is difficult to get much done.

However I think it is a good system for managers to learn their trade. PV will have a very mixed squad with some very experienced players but to change things he will be forced into using kids out of the draft or wheeler dealing with other MLS clubs or loans from City to find an edge. He will need to rely on the scouting network in place and from there it will be very much down to his man management and tactical skill to get things moving. I get the impression PV is a highly motivated character and he wants to be a top level manager so he will want to make a big impression out there. If I was a NYC fan I’d be pleased with this and I am looking forward to watching them next season.

In a parallel universe Man City don't offer Vieira the job, he then leaves City and goes on to take his first caching job at his first job Cannes, in his first year in the job, he helps Cannes win promotion twice on the trot and then finish 2nd behind PSG and his skills are quickly seen by his former club Arsenal, and Vieira that summer replaces Arsene Wenger, the man that brought him to Arsenal, he then goes on to be the most successful Arsenal manager in history.

See how it can look the other way. Nobody knows
And NYCFC fans are slagging off Man City and Sheikh Mansours because he never went there

Comments have been saved on the nycfcforum anyway, many slating Vieira calling him shit and so on.... We'll see.

I was one of the pricks dancing around outside Wembley when it was announced we were getting Pellegrini in as our manager and singing: fuck off pellegrini etc"

How wrong was I...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.