Villa Fans Want Well Over £20mill + Ireland For Milner.....

Bart said:
Anyway, if Milner where to leave I think it's quite obvious he will hook up with Fergie instead of you lot.

Actually I think it's quiet obvious that Utd don't have that sort of money. There's no way they can afford a bidding war with us.
If Villa won't sell to us for £20M, why would they sell to Utd for the same? If we choose to top Utd's bid by 6 or 7M, are you seriously suggesting that Villa would accept the lower bid ?

Except that if we were to sell it's because Milner wanted to leave. And if he wants to leave I think he would rather go to United.

Bart said:
Except that if we were to sell it's because Milner wanted to leave. And if he wants to leave I think he would rather go to United.

That may have been true a couple of years ago but things have changed. Even the bitterest of our detractors now admit that we are on the up and going places.
United have been the dominant force in the Prem for the last 20 years but they are facing a very uncertain future.
They have dominated by a combination of having a core of world class players brought through the ranks and the financial muscle to outbid any other English club until the last few years when Chelsea came along. They also have the best manager the English game has probably ever seen.
Now the home grown lads are all coming to the end of their careers and there are no ready made replacements waiting in the wings and they can't afford to replace them.
The financial dominance that they enjoyed has vanished. They can no longer compete with us or Chelsea and the debt they have to service is growing by the day.
Ferguson is the only reason they are still in the top 4, never mind title contenders. He won't last forever and there is no way they will ever replace him.
They may not be in full flow decline, but they are certainly at the start of it.

The long and short of it is we have a better future than Utd and if Milner is smart, he will choose City.

Bart said:
You seem to miss the point, if the rags do buy him, Baconface has already said they are only going to make one major signing(and pretty much the whole of last years budget)would then go on Milner. My question to you, as a Villa fan and someone that watches Milner week in week out, as good as he might be, if you managed United and had a 75m repayment to make in less than 2 months, would you blow it all on a midfielder, when your so weak upfront? As for City, if Villa choose to sell the the rags, over us, we will move on, but it would seem alittle foolish because long term you as a club have much more chance of catching the rags than us(given our younger squad and greater spending power than them).

Lancet Fluke said:
lee-mcfc said:
imo milner is worth 15-17mil no higher.

He cost 12 and has improved a lot so will be at least to the top end of the levels you suggest. Whether we like it or not, you do then have to add on the "Manchester City tax" which will take it quite a way above 20 million, I would think. It is just the way it is, every club will try to fleece us and if we want the player, to some extent we just have to suck it up, unfortunately.

Haha

James Milner - 19M + MCAT ("Manchester City Added Tax")

Total - 30M

stony said:
Bart said:
The long and short of it is we have a better future than Utd and if Milner is smart, he will choose City.

Thing is, you say all that, but the fact still remains... you might be going there. United are already there, and have been for some time. They are there fighting for every trophy every year, and it won't change the next 5 years either. You've got a lot of money, yet you do not have the stability they got at OT. You don't have the history of developing and using English talent like SAF. It might suck to read this, but it's true nontheless. And Milner will more then likely be more fond of the idea of hooking up with SAF and a steady, solid, experienced trophy winning team, then a team which might maybe get there, and if you don't a new manager will come in with new signings. And if you make it you will probably sign more high profile players then Milner anyway. There are just a thousand things speaking against his move to you. The only thing going for you is money, and I really don't think that's him. But we'll see.

Bart said:
stony said:

Thing is, you say all that, but the fact still remains... you might be going there. United are already there, and have been for some time. They are there fighting for every trophy every year, and it won't change the next 5 years either. You've got a lot of money, yet you do not have the stability they got at OT. You don't have the history of developing and using English talent like SAF. It might suck to read this, but it's true nontheless. And Milner will more then likely be more fond of the idea of hooking up with SAF and a steady, solid, experienced trophy winning team, then a team which might maybe get there, and if you don't a new manager will come in with new signings. And if you make it you will probably sign more high profile players then Milner anyway. There are just a thousand things speaking against his move to you. The only thing going for you is money, and I really don't think that's him. But we'll see.

You failed to address a single point I made but thanks for replying.

Bart said:
stony said:

Thing is, you say all that, but the fact still remains... you might be going there. United are already there, and have been for some time. They are there fighting for every trophy every year, and it won't change the next 5 years either.

I would pretty much bet money that if the Glazers stay there, they will not be genuinely challenging for all the trophies every year. They are on borrowed time and even their own fans know it, hence the Norwich scarfs.

zapbranny said:
Villa fan here.

Wanted to point a few things out which make the £20M offer pretty irrelevant, even if that probably is his market worth.

Milner wasn't exactly cheap, Villa paid £12m for him from Newcastle after being after him for nearly two seasons. Is £8M quid great profit on someone with a promising future?

He has two years left on his contract, so its not as if he is on a freeany time soon.

He is still only 24 depsite being around forever and is English (new homegrown rule).

Has just played his first season in centre mid, might improve. He is going to the World Cup, if he has a good tournament he could be worth even more, hence why a lot of teams don't sell before.

One of the reasons he wanted to come to Villa was stability, it was only here he started and finished a season with the same manager. Would he get that at City? Do you think Mancini will be in charge at the end of next season?

He is different to most footballers, doesn't drink or go to trendy hotspots, not particulalry flashy, he didn't have an agent (not sure if he still doesn't) and used to get the PFA to assist him. Not sure the Wealth that City have is a huge attraction for a guy like him.

Is more likely to prefer an established Champ League team like Utd or Chelsea, with both supposedly interested.

Has huge respect for O'neil, he has brought him on and got him into the England side and has been good for his career. New manager would be more uncertain.

Known to get on with his team mates in a young Villa side.

As you can see all these factors add up to £20M not really worth a great deal.

Reasons why they would sell.

a) A Big offer, maybe around the £30M mark (after all City have made a rod for their own back playing £24M for Lescott).
b) O'Neil thinks that Fabian Delph is ready to step up (got the attributes to be better than Milner)
c) Milner kicks up a fuss (unlikely for his character).

There you are thats my perspective on it and I definately would have predicted the £20M bid being turned down. What do you think?

HOME GROWN RULE - Doesn'y apply in this case - 8 Home grown have to be under 21 yrs age and at the club for 3yrs and nationality doesn't count if they have been there for 3yrs or more.<br /><br />-- Thu May 20, 2010 12:17 pm --<br /><br />You've got a lot of money, yet you do not have the stability they got at OT. You don't have the history of developing and using English talent like SAF. It might suck to read this, but it's true nontheless. And Milner will more then likely be more fond of the idea of hooking up with SAF and a steady, solid, experienced trophy winning team

Developing English talent ???? - Who would this be then

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.