Villa Fans Want Well Over £20mill + Ireland For Milner.....

nubian said:
Am I the only one who cannot get why are we are even bidding for this player, I think he is completely overrated and cannot see where he would fit in our team. How many more Aston Villa players are we going to buy?

Does anyone really believe that their squad is so much better than ours that we have to look to buy all of their players, we already have Gareth Barry and I have heard people talk about Agbonlahor, Ashley Young and now James Milner. Why don't we just by Aston Villa, I really don't understand it.

There are so many much better left-sided attacking midfielders in the world why are we limiting ourselves to average Premier league players when we have the capacity to buy world-class and potential world-class.

This is the same problem we had with Mark Hughes, who looked to buy steady Eddie's rather than Rolls-Royce's.

Does anyone seriously believe that James Milner is a better player/prospect/more potential than Stephen Ireland?

Like I said at the beginning I cannot understand why we are chasing this player at this time in our development.

I would like some constructive arguments on this point if you agree or disagree.

Nubian, I have no constructive arguments (unless you count my earlier posting as constructive) but I agree with every word.

Mind you, if we bought the AV team it would mean we would get Dunnie back................. resssuuulllttt!! :-)

Villa fan just had his email read out on SSN.

Basically told us to get real, up it to £40M and then we will have a look at the bid. He went on to say he doesn't know who we think we are and were just a tin pot club with loads of money.

LOL!

nubian said:
Am I the only one who cannot get why are we are even bidding for this player, I think he is completely overrated and cannot see where he would fit in our team. How many more Aston Villa players are we going to buy?

Does anyone really believe that their squad is so much better than ours that we have to look to buy all of their players, we already have Gareth Barry and I have heard people talk about Agbonlahor, Ashley Young and now James Milner. Why don't we just by Aston Villa, I really don't understand it.

There are so many much better left-sided attacking midfielders in the world why are we limiting ourselves to average Premier league players when we have the capacity to buy world-class and potential world-class.

This is the same problem we had with Mark Hughes, who looked to buy steady Eddie's rather than Rolls-Royce's.

Does anyone seriously believe that James Milner is a better player/prospect/more potential than Stephen Ireland?

Like I said at the beginning I cannot understand why we are chasing this player at this time in our development.

I would like some constructive arguments on this point if you agree or disagree.

No, you're not the only one. He is not even worth 20m. I would not mind him for 15m but he is not worth more, cue the comments about how money does not matter.

We have to stop throwing money around this kind of silly money for good (but not great) players.

nubian said:

I think we will be bidding on him for various reasons. He is versatile, English and very good. Obviously a more creative midfielder is more necessary but then I assume we will sign one of those too. I don't think it is worth comparing Milner and Ireland, they are very different types of players and I think he is quite a lot better than Barry, going off what we have seen of him this season.

citizenblue said:
Just found this on a Villa forum and PMSL.....

"Act quick Randy and Martin, tell them where to stick that poultry sum of money for one of the World’s leading young talents."

Are we paying in chicken drumsticks now? Or is Bernard Matthews Milner's agent?

One of the worlds leading young talents, good joke.

Milner is an excellent young English player, very versatile and hard working, £20miilion is about the minimum we could expect Villa to let him go for and is a decent opening bid all things considered. He's not exactly a prolific goalscorer but 4th in the Prem assists league last season.

Of course the Villa fans will squeal, so would we if a richer club came in and tried to buy one of our best players just like we felt when Chelsea bought SWP and no doubt just like the Newcastle fans felt when Villa bought Milner from them 18 months ago?.

It's just business, not arrogance or Mickey taking, we've made an offer and they either take it or leave it, then we either walk away or up the offer.

To the people who are saying Milner is shit..... he isn't. James Milner is a class act who has steadily improved since making his debut for Leeds, aged 16. He continues to improve.

The value is irrelevant. Virtually every player we have purchased since having this endless pit of money has been at an inflated price. This will be the norm.

Peoples favourite players will be leaving the club. I like Ireland, but we can't keep everyone happy. We are just gonna have to get used to this sort of activity every time a transfer window opens.

citizenblue said:
Just found this on a Villa forum and PMSL.....

"Act quick Randy and Martin, tell them where to stick that poultry sum of money for one of the World’s leading young talents."

Are we paying in chicken drumsticks now? Or is Bernard Matthews Milner's agent?

villa fans are upset that we are now above them in the pecking order

avoidconfusion said:
nubian said:

No, you're not the only one. He is not even worth 20m. I would not mind him for 15m but he is not worth more, cue the comments about how money does not matter.

We have to stop throwing money around this kind of silly money for good (but not great) players.
I agree, there's no doubt he's a good player, but if anyone thinks he's the next Gerrard or Lampard, then they are sadly deluding themselves.

Villa fan here.

Wanted to point a few things out which make the £20M offer pretty irrelevant, even if that probably is his market worth.

Milner wasn't exactly cheap, Villa paid £12m for him from Newcastle after being after him for nearly two seasons. Is £8M quid great profit on someone with a promising future?

He has two years left on his contract, so its not as if he is on a freeany time soon.

He is still only 24 depsite being around forever and is English (new homegrown rule).

Has just played his first season in centre mid, might improve. He is going to the World Cup, if he has a good tournament he could be worth even more, hence why a lot of teams don't sell before.

One of the reasons he wanted to come to Villa was stability, it was only here he started and finished a season with the same manager. Would he get that at City? Do you think Mancini will be in charge at the end of next season?

He is different to most footballers, doesn't drink or go to trendy hotspots, not particulalry flashy, he didn't have an agent (not sure if he still doesn't) and used to get the PFA to assist him. Not sure the Wealth that City have is a huge attraction for a guy like him.

Is more likely to prefer an established Champ League team like Utd or Chelsea, with both supposedly interested.

Has huge respect for O'neil, he has brought him on and got him into the England side and has been good for his career. New manager would be more uncertain.

Known to get on with his team mates in a young Villa side.

As you can see all these factors add up to £20M not really worth a great deal.

Reasons why they would sell.

a) A Big offer, maybe around the £30M mark (after all City have made a rod for their own back playing £24M for Lescott).
b) O'Neil thinks that Fabian Delph is ready to step up (got the attributes to be better than Milner)
c) Milner kicks up a fuss (unlikely for his character).

There you are thats my perspective on it and I definately would have predicted the £20M bid being turned down. What do you think?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.