Vincent Kompany - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this something you see as a general fault in Kompany's game or are you just talking about Wednesday night?

It's been a part of his game for a while but it didn't really matter. But now with Guardiola it's more evident and frustrating, I have no doubts he can play the Pep way but since his return he's been poor. Dumb fouls, far too many hoofs & he's shown a lack of understanding. It'll take time with him I believe.

Pep: Vincent didn’t play the second half because he was tired. We want to keep him safe and to have the same options as his team-mates #mcfc

Pep: We need to handle the situation until he can play 90 mins. It was just three days after Southampton, so maybe that’s why he was tired.

I think Pep recognises Kompany's defending is a lot more important than his ability on the ball. Everyone acts like if you don't get 100% pass completion then Pep will just sell you. He knows our defence is as leaky as a sieve and that Kompany offers us more stability.That's why he's trying so hard to get him fit and playing regularly.

Was thinking about Kompany earlier and realised we may have a dilemma. With Pellegrini, as soon as Kompany was fit he came into the team- even when it meant disrupting an increasingly solid Otamendi/Mangala partnership. I don't know if Pep will be the same.
We've seen before that Pep doesn't have a lot of time for injury-prone players, and if Otamendi and Stones are playing very well he may prefer to keep that going than break it up with Kompany, when he is likey to get inured again a month later. It's easier for a CB pairing to play well if they play together consistently.

That said, I'd love for Kompany to overcome his fitness issues. If that happens, it's then an issue of who to drop of Otamendi and Stones.
I think pep is thinking about playing stones otamendi and kompany as a back 3 but to make that system work you have to have world class wing backs like he had at bayern and barca but at the moment we haven't got.I'm sure pep will come up with a winning system and team selection it's just a matter of time and being a city fan for nearly 50 yrs I'm use to waiting for the next winning city side!!

It's been a part of his game for a while but it didn't really matter. But now with Guardiola it's more evident and frustrating, I have no doubts he can play the Pep way but since his return he's been poor. Dumb fouls, far too many hoofs & he's shown a lack of understanding. It'll take time with him I believe.
I agree that he would have few problems playing in Pep's system. I thought he looked pretty good v Swansea and defensively looked solid on Wednesday. I honestly think if he becomes reliable in terms of his fitness then he will become our most important defender again almost immediately.

I think the whole squad could do without the Vinny side show right now, I certainly don't think he should be starting if he's not 100%, which clearly he isn't. I'd give him the last 20 minutes (where possible), and let him build his fitness up that way. As it is, there's going to be constant speculation as to whether he's got a future, and Pep fending off stupid media questions, which he already appears to be tiring of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.