Vincent Kompany - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say it. But we only have 17 "foreign" spots for the PL and CL squads. Including Kompany in those lists is pretty much the same as only using 16 of those spots. This leaves us thin at CB. Wouldn't be surprised if we went for another CB in Jan.
I don't think Pep can at this point include Kompany when planning his squad in the future.

The key issue is - Kompany plays, controls the defence like a coach and other players play better alongside him. He drives the team on. Result - hardly any goals conceded. Vinnie is the best centre back on the planet and a blue to his core. When fit, no striker in the world can get the better of him. I've never seen anyone get the ball off Messi so many times. One thing is certain - he'll manage City one day.
Pep has improved already great players by playing to their strengths. Without doubt, Vinnie makes also team mates play better. Until he got injured against Madrid he was driving the team on. When Vinnie went off injured we tried our best but there was no-one able to do that. It's a bit like Martin Johnson when he captained the British Lions - players looked up to him and when he played he made the team feel good. Vinnie is the same.

I fear the end is in sight for VK. A great player and captain, no doubt about that but his career is virtually over. In my opinion Pep was right to play him for 90 minutes to see if he could come through it in one piece and unfortunately he couldn't. No doubt he'll carry on in one role or another at the club and rightly so.

he played as well as ever (and far better than stones did) last night so im not sure how you work that out

his distribution was outstanding and the defense was organised better than ever...his ability in the air was there for all to see as was his pace (unlike ottomendi who got done a few times last weekend)

VK uses his brain to play football so even with a loss of a bit of pac (normal as you start to get on) his reading of the game will get him an extra couple of years at the top
Vinnie played well last night, but this was against an exceptionally weak Swansea team. I wouldn't put too much stock in this single performance on its own, but it was very encouraging given the lengthy lay off. But all one has to do is look at the number of games in the past two seasons where he did not play well -- and there were many, so to say otherwise is just simply untrue. There were countless times where he rushed out or tried to be rash simply because he doesn't have the same physical abilities as he had before. If he plays with consistency, we'll see that happen again because he just isn't the same player as he was before. That's not his fault, it's just reality.

Otamendi's recovery speed and pace is what allowed him to stop King who is very, very fast. It's impossible to say how that would have played out with Vinnie in that position. What I can say though is that I have no confidence in him finishing games and as a CB, that is not an acceptable risk. I was very against him playing in the Madrid match because I knew it was a matter of time and losing an important sub like that is just not something you can give up.

I suspect a lot of the posters that are more forthright about writing Vinnie off also claimed Mike Smalling was the best CB in world football last year on other forums...

Look, some here can lose their shit when Vinny is brought up. I just don't see how he could possibly be in Pep's plan in the future if he is frequently injured. If some of you do think he still will be , be prepared to be shocked because the way Pep has discarded some legends here in a month means Kompany will probably not be given special treatment. Clearly this topic is too emotional to reasonably discuss with some here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.