Vincent Kompany - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep in the embargoed pre match presser vs Burton H:

Pep confirms City are talking about extending Kompany's contract.

"We are talking about that – I would like it. He’s our captain, 11 years here, we saw in the last two games the huge quality and personality he has to play.
The only problem with Vincent is one: injury problems."

Pep also says he is lucky to have four top central defenders and that each have their individual strengths.
“One against one, absolutely we are better with Vincent,” he said.

“Aymeric Laporte has a better left foot than Vinnie and every player has something special.
But Vinnie is incredible.”
I actually think that Guardiola is very happy with every single player in the squad (including Gundogan, Zinchenko and Delph) and would happily see all their deals extended if the players want it. I mean I still think he will want some additions, but on top of what we have not in place of.

Pep in the embargoed pre match presser vs Burton H:

Pep confirms City are talking about extending Kompany's contract.

"We are talking about that – I would like it. He’s our captain, 11 years here, we saw in the last two games the huge quality and personality he has to play.
The only problem with Vincent is one: injury problems."

Pep also says he is lucky to have four top central defenders and that each have their individual strengths.
“One against one, absolutely we are better with Vincent,” he said.

“Aymeric Laporte has a better left foot than Vinnie and every player has something special.
But Vinnie is incredible.”

We need to sign him up on a pay as you play contract. He’s an incredible player that is still the best defender in the league when it comes to actual defending. Maybe not as good as the other 3 when it comes to his passing (even though he’s got the potential to still improve) but for Guardiola to call him one of the best defenders he’s ever seen says it all. I feel sorry for those who don’t have the football brain to appreciate his defending and there are plenty on here who fall into that bracket. That said, the contract has to be right for us. We can’t be paying him £150k a week if he’s fit for a third of the season even though he is an absolute legend.

We need to sign him up on a pay as you play contract. He’s an incredible player that is still the best defender in the league when it comes to actual defending. Maybe not as good as the other 3 when it comes to his passing (even though he’s got the potential to still improve) but for Guardiola to call him one of the best defenders he’s ever seen says it all. I feel sorry for those who don’t have the football brain to appreciate his defending and there are plenty on here who fall into that bracket. That said, the contract has to be right for us. We can’t be paying him £150k a week if he’s fit for a third of the season even though he is an absolute legend.
I agree with everything you say, except the nature of the offer you'd extend to Kompany. I acknowledge it's personal opinion here, but considering the positive effect Mendy has had without playing; a somewhat fit Kompany is worth 100k a week in presence alone.

I actually rate him the least of our four CBs right now (I rate him tremendously highly nonetheless), but Kompany's leadership and character alone makes him somebody we desperately need always, even when we are doing well.

As an aside, I highlighted the bold part because you are not only correct, but blatantly speaking the truth. It's worth remembering in a dark era of fanaticism over Van Dijk's skillset. I like Van Dijk muchly, but he only does what Kompany did, minus the true authority that Kompany has/had. What separates the two is Van Dijk plays with fear. Van Dijk does so well but when truly put to the test he flounders (eg any time he faces Sané) whereas Kompany challenges all and has never been defeated in a 1 vs 1 truly. What I've always loved about Vinny is that he is not afraid to lose. He will put everything on the line going for everything he believes he can do. Although it can cost us with his potentially red card-esque tackles, it's that kind of attitude that has brought us success since 2011.

Until he physically cannot go on, he's worth every penny. United fans will tell you the same since they lost Keane or Arsenal fans since they lost Vieira; that kind of personality just can't be replaced. If there is ever to be one player in City history that deserves an extension for reasons beyond on the pitch ability it's him.

It makes no fiscal sense I agree, but even a one game a season Kompany is worth as much as anybody. I know you know as well as I do, that kind of leadership is rare.

Last edited:
Hopefully it will be with the option to move into coaching,as i see him as a more natural choice to succeed Pep than anyone else.

That they're discussing the extension I suspect means it will probably happen. There's no hint that Kompany wants to leave, and if City want him to stay then it will get done.

I think it's not even a big risk giving him another year
as it seems we can handle his fitness well in terms of minutes played right now

and as long as Garcia is still around as a 5th CB for domestic matches.

His true leadership and attitude is great to have around.

Maybe so.

But that entire sequence of play wasn't Kompany's fault - Stones played a very bad pass putting Kompany in an untenable situation.

Taking that particular play out of the equation - I think that Kompany had an excellent game - and I don't particularly fault Kompany for Liverpool's goal (for me, it was mostly on Sane - coupled with a bit of luck in the subsequent touches.

I think it started with Sane not doing enough to block the cross, followed by Danilo who mistimed the header and than Komapny for not expecting the former and let Firminho slip from behind his back.

Anybody know how bad his latest calf injury actually is.

It seems to go from getting better to getting worse to no comment.

I notice he and Kun ( I think at least ) were not involved in the latest training session posted online so I figure we won't be seeing Vincent anytime soon.

Personally I think Pep wants a new CB in the summer to replace him as he can't rely on him anymore being fit for enough games anymore I have to concur with that.

He is also on the record as saying we need to find a replacement for Ferny and David as well as another fullback so I suspect we might go for 4-5 new players in the summer.

With the way teams can improve dramatically from one season to the next now ( ala Liverpool this year 13 points ahead of last years points total at the same time ) its what is needed now if you are to compete for the title effectively year upon year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.