Vincent Kompany

Grow up, being offended on someone else’s behalf is just silly.
You can bet that the chairman’s thoughts align with mine. VK won’t get appointed here until he has proved he can do it in the PL.
We had enough managers appointed on a whim in Swales’ day, never again. Franny failed for the same reason.
Pep had 7 seasons at the top level before coming here. VK might need to go abroad for another spell too.
I only know of one top PL manager who has not managed at the top level elsewhere first.
PS Maybe two.

I don't know why you are comparing the club hiring Kompany with the Swales era.

Every manager had to start somewhere. Dortmund hired Klopp despite him taking Mainz down and failing to bring them back up again. Worked out for them, and Liverpool. Tuchel did a good job at Mainz and has subsequently shown that those early predictions he'd go far were justified. Most have a tactical system they're committed to and a work ethic and obsession with the game that makes them stand out. De Zerbi is the flavour of the month at the moment. His first job was a disaster, his second ended in relegation and then he had two good seasons at Sassuolo but never got them into Europe. I think we'd all agree he could manage at the top of the game.

Ancelotti took about 7 years to win anything of note. And he'd had the opportunity to coach under Sacchi in his first job after retiring as a player. Xavi went to Barca after 2 years managing in Qatar.

There are so many external factors that impact a manager. Pep has everything he needs at City to succeed. Kompany would have the same. He's shown all the attributes of someone who worked under Pep. Insane levels of commitment, attention to detail way beyond what you'd expect from a manager. And an obsession with a particular style of play.

I would expect that Kompany was like a sponge to Pep in the same way Pep would have been to Cruyff. They're not going to be identical and there's a very realistic chance he will not achieve what Pep has but he's the right fit for our club. This isn't like giving Lampard or Gerrard the job.

I don't know why you are comparing the club hiring Kompany with the Swales era.

Every manager had to start somewhere. Dortmund hired Klopp despite him taking Mainz down and failing to bring them back up again. Worked out for them, and Liverpool. Tuchel did a good job at Mainz and has subsequently shown that those early predictions he'd go far were justified. Most have a tactical system they're committed to and a work ethic and obsession with the game that makes them stand out. De Zerbi is the flavour of the month at the moment. His first job was a disaster, his second ended in relegation and then he had two good seasons at Sassuolo but never got them into Europe. I think we'd all agree he could manage at the top of the game.

Ancelotti took about 7 years to win anything of note. And he'd had the opportunity to coach under Sacchi in his first job after retiring as a player. Xavi went to Barca after 2 years managing in Qatar.

There are so many external factors that impact a manager. Pep has everything he needs at City to succeed. Kompany would have the same. He's shown all the attributes of someone who worked under Pep. Insane levels of commitment, attention to detail way beyond what you'd expect from a manager. And an obsession with a particular style of play.

I would expect that Kompany was like a sponge to Pep in the same way Pep would have been to Cruyff. They're not going to be identical and there's a very realistic chance he will not achieve what Pep has but he's the right fit for our club. This isn't like giving Lampard or Gerrard the job.
I can’t argue with that, choosing is complex.
VK has many good qualities as I have posted many times over the years. However, to settle on him now as the successor to Pep would be a naive mistake. That may change after a couple of years with Burnley. Either way!
Put it this way: if Pep walked tomorrow and we had only De Zerbi and VK as candidates, De Zerbi would be the less romantic but more sensible choice. Just wait two years before choosing.

Who knows what VK could do with a better setup that he'd have at city. Big test would be if he could handle pressure. One thing managing were expectations aren't so high to clubs who demand to be best as united found out ten years ago lol

Marco Silva might be worth considering is well. Had teams playing great stuff when he's had the players. Will have to do more of course to warrant appointing him

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.