Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-sign-van-dijk-14074584

The above articles does a nice job of expressing my clearly unpopular view on the issue.

Conditions that causes players to be unduly expensive simply does not exist here. VVD is simply a talented defender at a midtable club.

He is not English (So he doesn't get that premium)
He isn't from a rival club. So no premium for weakening a rival
He Doesn't have Champions League Pedigree. Yes I know he played with Celtics. But you know what I mean
He isn't an attacking player. Who generally cost more than defensive players.

But either way. I'm going to stop with this argument, as I now believe he is coming to us and generally try to support any player once it's apparent they will become a blue.

So happy to concede :)
To be honest it's a bit futile arguing How much he's worth. We will find his cost soon enough if we sign him. I certainly hope we get him cheap, but would be pleasantly surprised if we do.

It’s true whatever you think.
Because some paper said it?

Show me a quote from Bonucci, or Juve or City saying they bid 60 million for him. Or they got a 60 million bid.

Like I keep telling folks. I'm simply sticking to known facts. Not beliefs. Papers say a lot of shit.

Because some paper said it?

Because Pep said it and because Premier league clubs always pay a premium for players.

I wasn’t in the Walker thread, were you having the same debate saying we’d never spend more than £40m on him out of interest? Or the Mendy one.

Or the Ederson one?

After all, they were all records for their positions and didn’t have too CL pedigree.

To be honest it's a bit futile arguing How much he's worth. We will find his cost soon enough if we sign him. I certainly hope we get him cheap, but would be pleasantly surprised if we do.
I agree it is. Someone would pay whatever they believe they can based on their need and desperation.

Often, that someone has been us unfortunately. This to me just isn't on of those situations in my opinion. With Martinez available at a set price and having 'supposedly' balked at the price in the summer, I don't see why we'd pay it now.

having 'supposedly' balked at the price in the summer, I don't see why we'd pay it now.
Lots of reasons:

We’ve saved £60m on not buying Sanchez on deadline day. (This is a rather important one).

We can now push on as the rest of the team looks set in an attacking sense.

We are breaking records and can start thinking about winning the league but strengthening now and not having to buy or make wholesale purchases for a few seasons. Plus we’ve topped our group and can realistically budget what our CL income will be.

And because Pep took a gamble on Kompany having fully pushed past his injury troubles.

Because Pep said it and because Premier league clubs always pay a premium for players.

I wasn’t in the Walker thread, were you having the same debate saying we’d never spend more than £40m on him out of interest? Or the Mendy one.

Or the Ederson one?

After all, they were all records for their positions and didn’t have too CL pedigree.
Really?

Lots of reasons:

We’ve saved £60m on not buying Sanchez on deadline day. (This is a rather important one).

We can now push on as the rest of the team looks set in an attacking sense.

We are breaking records and can start thinking about winning the league but strengthening now and not having to buy or make wholesale purchases for a few seasons. Plus we’ve topped our group and can realistically budget what our CL income will be.

And because Pep took a gamble on Kompany having fully pushed past his injury troubles.
Perhaps. Like I said, hope he comes.

Were you on those threads or not saying such spending would be crazy and listing every full back of goal keeper bought in the previous 12 months?

Do I take it by ignoring it that you accept Pep himself said PL teams pay and premium and the likes of us and Chelsea are forced to pay a further one?

Don’t get me wrong, I think £70m is over priced, but I’m not the one looking at the accounts so all I care about is “will he improve us”.

Last edited:
Were you on those threads or not saying such spending would be crazy and listing every full back of goal keeping bought in the previous 12 months?

Do I take it by ignoring it that you accept Pep himself said PL teams pay and premium and the likes of us and Chelsea are forced to pay a further one?
Ok. I'm happy you've corrected your original error.

I said paying over 40 million will be over paying. It was. And we did overpay.

Pep said we bid 60 million for Bonucci. Where? Show it to me and I'll shut up on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.