We are not mentally weak

hmm, city actually have a good record of getting points from losing positions so from a statistical point of view i'd say we are not mentally weak however from a qualitative view, you cant deny there is some sort of mental block surrounding the XI every so often.

You can put any name you wish to a side that when its behind gets nothing from a game and lacks the ability to dig out a result.

When we have been behind at half time in our past 12 games our record is 0-1-11.

This season we have blown leads against very average sides in Juventus and Spurs.

I do agree the massive injury list ( what resources are we putting into player management FFS ) has unbalanced us and Saturday was one big cock up starting from the management team down after we took the lead but overall our management team and the playing group lack steel and this combined with the injuries will derail this season unless we get smarter on match days and lift our intensity over 90 minutes.

Seems pretty damning.

Haha ... so true. I think the rush to need to blame/castigate/belittle after any and every defeat speaks to an underlying weakness in certain segments of the forum based support. A weak mentality which leads to an inability to see things rationally or to have any sensible perspective on things. It's been one long cringe reading the individual player threads and the match day thread since Saturday afternoon because of this. Hopefully as the week passes the weak will find other things to distract them.

Can you please stop the "I'm a bigger blue than you" stuff.

Last edited:
The mentally weak thing has come around because losses have come very quickly. After a fantastic start, it's easy to say that one setback seems to have knocked out confidence a bit. On the face of it, at least.

The West Ham game was a strange one - we were so much the better team in the 2nd half. We were poor in the 1st, but we had so many opportunities - we lost that game down to poor finishing as much as anything. This wasn't mental weakness.

Juve - poor finishing, and arguably a bit of a block in the CL. We shouldn't have this "mental block", and I'm not sure it exists, but we do underperform in the CL. And whilst juve set up well, they have performed poorly in the league pre and post that game.

Spurs - if one game did show mental weakness it was this. Whilst the decision for their equaliser was a shocker, that shouldn't have affected our 2nd half performance so drastically. Every time they attacked they looked like they could score. Pellegrini described the goal as a "psychological goal", suggesting that it did have a mental affect. A mental affect that saw our heads well and truly drop.

If we lose on Wednesday that will be 4 losses in 5- that is a problem. That game will show a lot about our mental strength - or at least our CL mentality.

As others have said - can a team who have come from "losing" positions to win the league, twice, be mentally weak?

If we win Wednesday, everything will be back on track, and I could see us going on a really good run.

I hate statistics as a rule because they can be so easily manipulated. I'll wager those 12 games we were behind in at half time were over quite a few seasons. you have to remember we are rarely behind at half time.
If you include cup and community shield, 9 of those losses came last season and 2 this season

Mentally Weak?
Good
I hope they keep writing that
And I hope the team reads it and gets angry
Curious to see that team playing pissed off
Maybe that's what we're missing
Love the team
But questioning their toughness is completely appropriate imho
I hate it when they lose
Hate it when officiating costs us,
Injuries, what have you
But being out worked ?

Mentally Weak?
Good
I hope they keep writing that
And I hope the team reads it and gets angry
Curious to see that team playing pissed off
Maybe that's what we're missing
Love the team
But questioning their toughness is completely appropriate imho
I hate it when they lose
Hate it when officiating costs us,
Injuries, what have you
But being out worked ?

I can take us losing, the West ham game was a frustration, but I came away from it proud of how we played. 9 times out of 10 we'd have scored in that second half. The second half on Saturday was a disgrace, where was the passion, the fight? It was a team who looked resigned to defeat and weren't prepared to fight to get back into the game. Yes, the offside decisions killed us, but you have to keep playing, and our reaction was as poor as I've seen from us in a long time. Hopefully the lads have had an inquest, and are going to come out fighting.

I can take us losing, the West ham game was a frustration, but I came away from it proud of how we played. 9 times out of 10 we'd have scored in that second half. The second half on Saturday was a disgrace, where was the passion, the fight? It was a team who looked resigned to defeat and weren't prepared to fight to get back into the game. Yes, the offside decisions killed us, but you have to keep playing, and our reaction was as poor as I've seen from us in a long time. Hopefully the lads have had an inquest, and are going to come out fighting.

I fancy that had there been the requisite 'fight' to get us back in the game, MDM would have had the second yellow by fifty mins and another would have been booked for either 'aggressively walking' towards Crappenberg or not holding his mouth in a straight line! Crappenberg holds up the yellow and red cards like a matador holding up a bull's ears in a bullring - and with extra gusto when it's one of ours.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.