We need an A-list signing ?

zlaz3r said:
Now hear me up.

We haven't really bought an A-list player for a while now, and i think Aguero was the last one.
If we want to see our self as a top 5 club in the world we will need to get an A-list signing if not every summer transfer window at least one each second season.

This is not for sporting reason but branding as well.

We are building up a big franchise in Asia lately with some good sponsorship, now we need a new spearhead for those advertisement besides Aguero in my opinion.

The last few season he heard that we now are focusing on quality instead of quantity, which to be honest haven't really been fur filled.

I am loving the signings of Fernandinho and Navas so far, they bring exactly what we have needed for a few seasons now. But to be honest it is a bit worrying we lost out on Isco, and Cavani is overpriced yes, but most A-list signings are.

A-list Players that are left which in theory we possible could buy are.

Lewandowski
Bale
Suarez (Mehhhhh)
Cavani

Do we need 1 game changing player, instead of 3 solid team players ?

We've had three A List signings in the last 12 months. People just don't realise it yet.

Soriano, Begiristain, and Pellegrini.

Watch and learn what comes in the next couple of years.

BillyShears said:
zlaz3r said:
Now hear me up.

We haven't really bought an A-list player for a while now, and i think Aguero was the last one.
If we want to see our self as a top 5 club in the world we will need to get an A-list signing if not every summer transfer window at least one each second season.

This is not for sporting reason but branding as well.

We are building up a big franchise in Asia lately with some good sponsorship, now we need a new spearhead for those advertisement besides Aguero in my opinion.

The last few season he heard that we now are focusing on quality instead of quantity, which to be honest haven't really been fur filled.

I am loving the signings of Fernandinho and Navas so far, they bring exactly what we have needed for a few seasons now. But to be honest it is a bit worrying we lost out on Isco, and Cavani is overpriced yes, but most A-list signings are.

A-list Players that are left which in theory we possible could buy are.

Lewandowski
Bale
Suarez (Mehhhhh)
Cavani

Do we need 1 game changing player, instead of 3 solid team players ?

We've had three A List signings in the last 12 months. People just don't realise it yet.

Soriano, Begiristain, and Pellegrini.

Watch and learn what comes in the next couple of years.

100% Agree

I wouldn't mind a top top signing, we really need to give the CL a proper right go this season, get out of the group stages will be a step forward as were gonna get another tough group. I'd really would have liked to get Higuain with plenty of CL experience, need someone though.

People using Barcelona as an example forget that they still appreciate the importance of buying well to complement their academy. In the last few seasons, Villa, Fabregas, Sanchez (little less so), Neymar. All top shelf additions. We haven't bought anyone in the last 2 summer windows as good as any of them (You could maybe argue Navas/Sanchez but at the time Sanchez was the hottest property on the market, it was a statement in signing him, one we didn't get from Navas), and they're adding them to an already more talented squad.

The right A-list signing would have implications far beyond what they could bring to the first team. Marketing potential, big statement, reassurance to the fans and players that we're aiming for the very top (you can say it in a press release or interview, but nothing says it like slapping 70m down for Bale or similar), it's a far ranging deal.

I completely understand that we have to function as a team, and I'm not suggesting we adopt the (failed) Galactico model, but a team of average players performing above the sum of their parts won't beat a team of excellent players doing the same. We're aiming for the latter, not the former.

I think the main difference at the moment is one of timescale. We want to be producing our own world class footballers, but that's not going to happen next season, or the season after. Fans rarely look past the immediate season and thus want the best players now, but our owners and executives are looking so much further ahead it would likely be hard to properly comprehend the plans. Plus it doesn't exactly make for great pub banter.

Re: We need an A-list signing

not my fault! said:
I think you're wrong, the reason being we shouldn't be buying superstars, we should be producing them & that's now our aim.
You'll start to see more academy players coming through & they'll be the next Isco or Cavani IMO. Denis Suarez is already being mentioned in the Spanish media as "the next Iniesta" but to be honest I don't want the "next" anything, I want future players in years to come to be the next Guidetti or Lopez etc etc.

I agree with this ^, but I also understand what the OP is getting at. I think we will eventually make an A-list signing one day, but we may have to drastically improve our champions league form before this occurs.

We currently have some excellent youth talent in our club like Guidetti, Lopez and Suarez to name a few, and under the direction our club is going in these players can become our star players of the future

I am of the opinion that we would be better off buying a player who in the management's eyes will fit the team better than buying someone just because he is a big name.

Txiki and Pellegrini are experienced football men and will know what they want, if Pellegrini believes that Negredo is a better option than Cavani then I think we have to put our trust in him.

I don't believe in this nonsense that we should sign a superstar to make a statement or whatever, how many clubs have done that in the past and failed? (Yes, there have been successes but plenty of failures)

Lets use Cavani as an example, he has excelled for three years? in a team that is built to play one way. When he plays for Uruguay he looks like a different player. Is this just bad luck or does he genuinely struggle when asked to play a different way.

That has to be looked at, Cavani excels in 352 and super quick counter attacking.

However, Negredo is available on the market and has scored not that many goals less than Cavani but most importantly playing in a team that looks more like what Pellegrini want's to employ.

Don't give a shit about "A List" signings that help marketing etc. Lets build a fucking team that plays with passion and watch those players become superstars in a City shirt instead of trying to buy them in.

I live in Asia. Do you want me to do a quick poll and see how many people here have heard of Isco? He's not an A-list signing, he's a promising youngster. The only A-list signing all summer has been Falcao to Monaco.

For all of the news reports, Chelsea have bought a young German attacking midfielder for a lot of money (a position where they already have a wealth of talent). The rags have bought a 20 year-old full back for less than £2m. Arsenal have brought in a 20 year-old striker on a free. We, on the other hand, have brought in one of the top-performing midfielders of last year's Champions League, and Spain's best winger. And I'd argue that player-for-player, we already had the strongest squad anyway. Any signings this season should be about tweaking the team to play in the way that Pellegrini wants.

But I'd like to see Bale at the club because I think he'd suit the way the team is looking to play and addresses one of our weak areas.

I'm With Stupid said:
I live in Asia. Do you want me to do a quick poll and see how many people here have heard of Isco? He's not an A-list signing, he's a promising youngster. The only A-list signing all summer has been Falcao to Monaco.

For all of the news reports, Chelsea have bought a young German attacking midfielder for a lot of money (a position where they already have a wealth of talent). The rags have bought a 20 year-old full back for less than £2m. Arsenal have brought in a 20 year-old striker on a free. We, on the other hand, have brought in one of the top-performing midfielders of last year's Champions League, and Spain's best winger. And I'd argue that player-for-player, we already had the strongest squad anyway. Any signings this season should be about tweaking the team to play in the way that Pellegrini wants.

But I'd like to see Bale at the club because I think he'd suit the way the team is looking to play and addresses one of our weak areas.
Really? Neymar to Barca, Gotze to Bayern??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.