We need an A-list signing ?

zlaz3r said:
Now hear me up.

We haven't really bought an A-list player for a while now, and i think Aguero was the last one.
If we want to see our self as a top 5 club in the world we will need to get an A-list signing if not every summer transfer window at least one each second season.

This is not for sporting reason but branding as well.

We are building up a big franchise in Asia lately with some good sponsorship, now we need a new spearhead for those advertisement besides Aguero in my opinion.

The last few season he heard that we now are focusing on quality instead of quantity, which to be honest haven't really been fur filled.

I am loving the signings of Fernandinho and Navas so far, they bring exactly what we have needed for a few seasons now. But to be honest it is a bit worrying we lost out on Isco, and Cavani is overpriced yes, but most A-list signings are.

A-list Players that are left which in theory we possible could buy are.

Lewandowski
Bale
Suarez (Mehhhhh)
Cavani

Do we need 1 game changing player, instead of 3 solid team players ?

I am nearly choking here, but I think this is the main reason why MANUre have stolen a good number of titles. A listers are OK if they deliver. Last season ours didn't, whereas journeymen strikers might have done!

Re: We need an A-list signing

not my fault! said:
zlaz3r said:
not my fault! said:
I do but we ain't Barça, tbf we're not anywhere in their league with regards to attracting players.
As for our academy we haven't a clue how they'll adapt to first team action. I can see Guidetti & Suarez doing well this year with possibly Lopez too.

Just because we aren't Barca, doesn't mean we cant bring A-list players to the club.

If its a choice between, City, Real, Barca, Munich or even the Rags... Them 9/10 would pick City last, winning one PL trophy & an FA cup doesn't suddenly make us attractive. Isco being the perfect example, yeh sure his dad got a bung but if he really wanted us he'd of dug his heels in.

Nail on the head!!!!

At the moment, we are nowhere near the draw that some on here think. We are building at the moment and are still way behind the likes of Barca, Madrid and Munich and at the moment don't have the appeal of United.

Agree with the op.I can see the team ethic of wanting to build and strengthen where we are weak but what is the point in trying to eat at Claridges when all you can afford is Netto.

We wanna play big,we must buy big - Not every signing of course however an A list as the op says every so often.

Let's just say we don't get out of the group stage next season again
Let's just say we don't win anything.

Who will be to blame??

I wouldn't consider Isco an A-lister yet. This is the problem now a days. Ever since the money has come in its been like crack cocaine for some and if a multi million pound player is not signed every transfer window the kids start misbehaving and throwing they're toys out and just like an addict if you don't get your hit you go mental. It's a fucking football club and a business. We were spoiled initially but that was to get us upto the level we needed to be .. Then it was said the spending will not continue. We have an awesome team now and that is what it needs to be a team.

We've gone down the route of trying to sign a listers and look where it's got us. Just cos a player is valued ridiculously high does not mean he is gonna be a success .. It also does not mean we need to be in for him. If we do not sign anyone else we have a league winning team.

People need to realise that even though ffp is illegal we currently have to abide by it and stick to the laws implemented. Malaga have been kicked our of European competition for the mean time. So this dumb ass argument of its not our money, well yeah it is it is our tickets, sky subscriptions, merchandise that goes to the club aswell and if we do get kicked out of Europe for overspending it is our club that will suffer and us as the fans.

History is ongoing and a great one is being lined out by our owner and management team. I believe in them and trust whoever they bring will be beneficial to the club in the long term, so the only way to create success and sustained success is to win and to win we need a team not an a lister cos someone has not got their fix

Shake your heads and wind ya necks in

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Agree with the op.I can see the team ethic of wanting to build and strengthen where we are weak but what is the point in trying to eat at Claridges when all you can afford is Netto.

We wanna play big,we must buy big - Not every signing of course however an A list as the op says every so often.

Let's just say we don't get out of the group stage next season again
Let's just say we don't win anything.

Who will be to blame??

We already have 4 or 5 "A list" players in the team and we had 7 or 8 last season. We need players that are enthusiastic about playing for us. Milan are building a team around Balotelli, that wouldn't happen here but he is now the face of that club.

Hart, Kompany (not so much), Yaya, Silva and Aguero(the main one) could all be used to market the club abroad. The 5 I mentioned are our core/ spine/ stars/ whatever you want to call it. Now we are building a team around them.

"As I said the plan is 50% of the first team to be homegrown within 5 years" - if this is the case I can't see us winning much. Who is there in our youth set-up who looks like he will be able to force Yaya, Silva, Komps, etc out of the side in the next few seasons? Pretty much every succesful club has bought success, and hardly ever has 5 or 6 top class youth team graduates in the same generation. Unfortunately only the rags were one with Beckham, Scholes, etc and that only happened ONCE!

Anyway, I think we need to sign a top class player like Bale for two reasons.
1. We fell short last year and we need fresh impetus and a boost after a disappointing season last year.
2. It would make the media, rivals etc to sit up and take notice, a statement of intent again after a quiet year and constant belittling from the press/Sky.

Jack Wills said:
"As I said the plan is 50% of the first team to be homegrown within 5 years" - if this is the case I can't see us winning much. Who is there in our youth set-up who looks like he will be able to force Yaya, Silva, Komps, etc out of the side in the next few seasons? Pretty much every succesful club has bought success, and hardly ever has 5 or 6 top class youth team graduates in the same generation. Unfortunately only the rags were one with Beckham, Scholes, etc and that only happened ONCE!

Anyway, I think we need to sign a top class player like Bale for two reasons.
1. We fell short last year and we need fresh impetus and a boost after a disappointing season last year.
2. It would make the media, rivals etc to sit up and take notice, a statement of intent again after a quiet year and constant belittling from the press/Sky.

It's not "if" it's the case, it is the case! The chairman said so in his interview on the OS a few weeks back.
Huge things are being said about Guidetti, Lopez, Suarez plus we will continue to buy young players & develop them.

If it wasn't for FFFP I think we'd spend more to gain a truely top name but because we have to live under rules designed to slow us down we need to slow down. This is not a bad thing for Mr and Mrs Cityfan. If it takes us 10 years to win the Championship then that's likely to be an eventful journey for us. We are used to roller coasters so for most it's just a matter of readjusting a little bit in our expectations....no less fun. I just wish FFFP was more fair for all.

LoveCity said:
Marquee names are part of brand building so I'm slightly surprised we haven't gone for one (even Cavani isn't a GLOBAL SUPERSTAR as he's been playing in Serie A away from the brightest lights). Maybe Neymar was the 'one' but they couldn't convince him. Bale is pretty much at marquee level now but he just seems too expensive. It's hard to see who else is left that is realistic. We have a quality squad but the only highly marketable one is Aguero since Balotelli left.

Joe Hart as well he is already doing his own thing
Kompany you could throw in as well, too much time injured seem to dim his star a bit last season

zlaz3r said:
Now hear me up.

We haven't really bought an A-list player for a while now, and i think Aguero was the last one.
If we want to see our self as a top 5 club in the world we will need to get an A-list signing if not every summer transfer window at least one each second season.

This is not for sporting reason but branding as well.

We are building up a big franchise in Asia lately with some good sponsorship, now we need a new spearhead for those advertisement besides Aguero in my opinion.

The last few season he heard that we now are focusing on quality instead of quantity, which to be honest haven't really been fur filled.

I am loving the signings of Fernandinho and Navas so far, they bring exactly what we have needed for a few seasons now. But to be honest it is a bit worrying we lost out on Isco, and Cavani is overpriced yes, but most A-list signings are.

A-list Players that are left which in theory we possible could buy are.

Lewandowski
Bale
Suarez (Mehhhhh)
Cavani

Do we need 1 game changing player, instead of 3 solid team players ?

Has DaveRave seen your A-List yet?<br /><br />-- Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:18 am --<br /><br />
SergioInAddedTime said:
not my fault! said:
SergioInAddedTime said:
What if I told you we are bulding the fondation of the team now, and looking to bring Messi next summer

Pure guesswork but I have a feeling this will happen

I think it's only a matter of time, not if but when we Mae a bid. There is a reason they purchased a young Naymar.
I have had a certain feeling since day 1 of the takeover that we will see Messi in City colours. It looks more and more likely. Like someone else said: It is almost as certain as Mourinho returning to Chelsea. It is something that is bound to happen

It looks more and more likely

evidence?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.