We probably won't qualify for the next stage of the CL so...

Numptyed said:
This website will show you just how close to pot 3 we are, also they redused the points you receive in 2009 per game, coincidence?

<a class="postlink" href="http://uk.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://uk.uefa.com/memberassociations/u ... index.html</a>
Can anyone explain how they work out the points for the current season? Admittedly, we're not showing well in the CL, but to be the reigning PL champs and still 3000 points behind Arsenal? How does that work? Are the European games rated that much higher than national standings?

Edit: Have now read the handy little explanation on the very same website! So, in summary, you've got to be in Europe to get points. Correct?

another generation said:
Numptyed said:
This website will show you just how close to pot 3 we are, also they redused the points you receive in 2009 per game, coincidence?

<a class="postlink" href="http://uk.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://uk.uefa.com/memberassociations/u ... index.html</a>
Can anyone explain how they work out the points for the current season? Admittedly, we're not showing well in the CL, but to be the reigning PL champs and still 3000 points behind Arsenal? How does that work? Are the European games rated that much higher than national standings?

Edit: Have now read the handy little explanation on the very same website! So, in summary, you've got to be in Europe to get points. Correct?
It's mega important that we make the Europa league and do well our coefficient points are made up of the last 5 years points and next year we lose 20 points from 08/09 when Hamburg beat us, last year we won 3 groupe games and some Europa games won the league and only got 0.5 more points than we did in 08/09. If we don't start winning Europien games we will be in pot 3/4 next year.

There's pros and cons to this.

On the yes side, we need to get our European co-efficient up, give the lads more experience and it's a trophy to aim for.

On the no side there is a very good chance it will cost us league points, and maybe the points that makes the difference between winning it or not.

I will always maintain that, had we beat Sporting last season, then we wouldn't have won all of our last six games and won the league as a result. We'll never know, but I believe the team will have been meddled with and we'd have dropped more points.

For that reason only, we may be better off without it. Another nine games is just too much.

love the Europa league games. Hope we get in if we don't have another miracle and qualify for the knock out stages of the Champions league.

It's simple for me, I just want to win every game we play and see where that takes us.
Never ever want to lose which is what some are advocating by wanting to finish 4th

This is where I like Mourinho. Ask him a question in tense situation and he'll reply that he takes matches 1 by 1 and try to do 100% and win in each of them. This not only reduces the unnecessary stress on manager but also on players that the performance improves significantly. This is like saying we are not thinking about the future. The only thing that should be bothering the players is the next match and not whether they will be qualifying or not.
Ignoring Europa league again is a stupid idea. We want more UEFA points and for that we should try to win the games and play our players after checking out who our opponent is. These are the formative years of our club (in CL/Europe) and the type of attitude where we dont give our best, be it in europa, is not a good foundation we are laying in europe. We should try to win every match irrespective of the oppenent or cup. Again I would like to cite Real Madrid's example (I admire Mourinho). He played his first team with 1 or 2 fringe players against a 3rd division team in Spanish Cup.
It all comes down to experience in europe and ability to handle all the 3 competitions. I can say 1 thing for sure that we have a squad that can compete in all competitions. We just are missing something. May be confidence, drive, I don't know.

Real Madrid this season are full of injuries: Marcelo (out for 3 months), Coentrao (played 1st match last week this season), Arbeloa (not match fit), Ramos (plays but with back pain), Essien (training alone coz not fit), Khedira (trained with team just yesterday), Ronaldo (eye injury, he'll be fit though), Higuain (injured), Benzema (trained with team yesterday after 2 weeks), Ozil (missed nternational due to ankle injury). We can do well against this team. All we need is BELIEF.

If we cant even get into the EL this year then we will carry this shit coeff. point from this season in the next 5 seasons.

Getting into the EL and reaching the semifinals would give us probably more points than what we get in the CL as we are really far from getting to the semis of CL.

Or at least giving extra playing times to fringe players like Milner, Rodwell, Sinclair or even the youngsters who wont feature anymore this season because League Cup is over.

Bojinov The Bull said:
...would you rather us finish 4th in the group and give more time to focusing on winning the league/FA cup again or would you rather us finish 3rd and go in to the Europa League?
Europe League football is needed as we need more ranking points. If we end up in t we should aim to win the EL.

3rd & the Europa league for me, love watching any European football, & lets be honest if the players that we have got cant play a couple of games a week, including travelling (1st class mind) then they shouldn't be playing the game.
So lets get out there & get at least 3rd & try and win as many trophy's as we can.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.