Well done Aleks...

mansour's tow ropes said:
lancs blue said:
I'll say it again that more often when not when Kolarov plays it seems to coincide with a poor team performance. Whether this is because he is often picked in tricky, physical away ties, or whether I'm being unfair and forgetting about the good performances he plays in is up for debate, and to be fair he wasn't at fault today (I don't think). But I can't help but notice this observation

Today was a poor result but not a poor team performance, we played them off the park, unlike the Stoke game.

very true, perhaps I should extend that to include poor away results then?

I think you're a bit harsh laying the fault at Kolarov's door tbh.

lancs blue said:
lancs blue said:
Today was a poor result but not a poor team performance, we played them off the park, unlike the Stoke game.

very true, perhaps I should extend that to include poor away results then?

I think you're a bit harsh laying the fault at Kolarov's door tbh.

maybe

Funny how football is such a game of opinions.
Probably more than most sports.
Bloke on the radio said Aleks was outstanding today. Especially the first half.
Like I said, a game of opinions.

The main points for me are that most of the time, there's no end product when he's forward and in defence, his awareness and concentration are poor.

2sheikhs said:
The main points for me are that most of the time, there's no end product when he's forward and in defence, his awareness and concentration are poor.
And what effect did any of that had on today's game? He was good today. End of!

daxman said:
2sheikhs said:
So him not being able to get crosses in and taking ambitious pot shots when there are better options doesn't have an affect?

Damocles said:
BillyShears said:
Damocles said:
watched him more than usual recently. Total liability, accident waiting to happen as a full back.

Are you fishing ? That's proper naughty ...

Honestly, I've never rated him and recently he's committed himself more than usual. I can't get behind him. Goodish going forward and in a purple patch in that regard recently, depressingly poor as a full back. Constantly seems to want to dive in in inappropriate circumstances.

Out of interest, do you guys rate him now?
In the Pellegrini discussion about mentality you're sniping at people for not giving the manager enough time. I find this odd since Kolarov is pretty much what Pellegrini wants out of a fullback.<br /><br />-- Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:00 pm --<br /><br />
2sheikhs said:
daxman said:
2sheikhs said:
So him not being able to get crosses in and taking ambitious pot shots when there are better options doesn't have an affect?
He got crosses in. Our super-effective, special forwards weren't making runs. I'll leave you to puzzle that out.

Gets a lot of unjust stick for the sake of it I feel. In the past he has been shocking at defending yes but this season has played great even defensively. He is a much much better crosser than Clichy (would probably put in better corners than Nasri). Only thing that really really winds me up about him is when he takes brainless shots and ruins the build up play.

Bar the unnecessary shooting, I think he's better altogether at going forward than Clichy (who is more reluctant to get early crosses in and tends to pass back). He just doesn't have the pace or defensive capabilities of an in-form Clichy.

Both offer different, not a bad situation to have at LB, just need to get it right when it matters.

Would clichy have affected today. Possibly. Would we have been as successful with clichy in the derby. Possibly. I seriously think we have two decent left backs with their own qualities but also their own limits.

I see that position as a weakness. Both left backs we have are able deputies and probably too good to be considered such but I think we could improve in that position.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.