Well done Aleks...

Yes he had a better game last night, but so he should he cost in excess of 16 million right? He is still a worry when his primary job is to defend. I also worry that he is always liable to give away silly free kicks. But as I said he was better last night so well done. I really believe to gain some perspective just look to our right back who was outstanding again - superb pass for the first, a carbon copy of the one v Swansea and his defensive play is excellent. You can see when a lot of teams attack us they are reticent to go down Zabba's side. And it doesn't seem to matter who plays in front of him. This is what Aleks should aspire to.

Him being made captain v Plzen makes me think he may be staying if he wants to and if a reasonable contract can be agreed.

I must admit I did think he would of been sold in the summer especially with the spat with a small section of our supporters after the Norwich game last season. He has knuckled down and has made an improvement in his defending and his performances this season have been good. Whether it is good enough for Aleks to become a regular starter and for him to get a new contract it is still debatable imho.

Improved a great deal but still suspect defending and his heavy reluctance to use his right foot is annoying.

He makes Barry look 2 footed.

taconinja said:
zandvoort blue said:
Kolarov is dependent on the player in front of him. With Nasri infront of him he gets found out defensively especially away from home. He got lucky last night, in an attacking sense he created the second, and won the penalty, But defensively he got isolated, out of position, persistently gave the ball away, and gave the WBA players too much room.
For me Clichy should always start as he has a better understanding with Nasri.
If the understanding is the fullback will refuse to cross the ball except for the occasional hit-and-hope lob then yes there's an understanding.

An understanding is not running into the same space (Micah also does it with Navas). An understanding is knowing when your colleague is upfield (especially on the other side of the pitch) that you also have defensive responsibilities. Luckily Nasri last night was constantly chasing back to cover, an element of his game that he has much improved since last season.
For me defenders are there to defend first and foremost.

Hes fine whipping a ball in but hes still a shocking defender, who is lazy getting back in position

Overall he is better this year, but he doesn't fill me with confidence when his name is on the team sheet against the bigger sides (although he tends to play well against them), I think he is suitable back up/stand in/rotation standard

Mr HJ said:
Yes he had a better game last night, but so he should he cost in excess of 16 million right? He is still a worry when his primary job is to defend. I also worry that he is always liable to give away silly free kicks. But as I said he was better last night so well done. I really believe to gain some perspective just look to our right back who was outstanding again - superb pass for the first, a carbon copy of the one v Swansea and his defensive play is excellent. You can see when a lot of teams attack us they are reticent to go down Zabba's side. And it doesn't seem to matter who plays in front of him. This is what Aleks should aspire to.
Zabaleta as much as I love him was also directly responsible for their second goal.<br /><br />-- Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:01 pm --<br /><br />
zandvoort blue said:
taconinja said:
zandvoort blue said:
Kolarov is dependent on the player in front of him. With Nasri infront of him he gets found out defensively especially away from home. He got lucky last night, in an attacking sense he created the second, and won the penalty, But defensively he got isolated, out of position, persistently gave the ball away, and gave the WBA players too much room.
For me Clichy should always start as he has a better understanding with Nasri.
If the understanding is the fullback will refuse to cross the ball except for the occasional hit-and-hope lob then yes there's an understanding.

An understanding is not running into the same space (Micah also does it with Navas). An understanding is knowing when your colleague is upfield (especially on the other side of the pitch) that you also have defensive responsibilities. Luckily Nasri last night was constantly chasing back to cover, an element of his game that he has much improved since last season.
For me defenders are there to defend first and foremost.
Ah but neither you nor I are Manuel Pellegrini.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.