Well done Aleks...

dancity19 said:
M24 Citizen said:
Actually a much better captain than Yaya. I think Yaya is a terrible captain.

I wonder who would've been captain had Zabba started though?

I agree actually. If Toure plays well he probably leads by example.

Whereas Kolarov seems like a proper captain in how he stands up for the team. Last night when Fernandinho got booked (or it might have been Zab) Kolarov was right there speaking to the ref (admittedly as captains should do), calming down the situation. And as others have said, he would stand up for his team in any way possible if there was a nasty tackle or something like that.

I wonder that made Pellegrini pick him as captain in the first place though- he was captain for the last Champions league game too. Wonder where it came from?

And, under Pellegrini he has improved a fair bit. Perhaps one of the few defenders who Mancini did not get the most out of. I would imagine Kolarov has contributed to a fair few goals this year and has a decent amount of assists?
I

He has a number of assists this season already particularly low crosses for Sergio to score like the one in the 4-1 rags match. I think he actually scored more during the Mancini reign, mostly with free kicks but it's still early on MP's reign.

Two things.

Not fussed with him being captain ahead of say, Hart, Richards, or Milner. U can tell Kolarov is a definite character on and off the pitch. Hard as nails no nonsense type. and ready to remonstrate with the ref to back up his teammate when needed.

Was a bit surprised he took the penalty. I would have thought Milner would do it. But with yaya and aguero not on the pitch, I guess kolarov is the third name on the list now. Well done though

cccc said:
How many assists has he had this season?

Three assists, all in the league. Plus he won a penalty at West Brom. One goal, last night.

He's put in 55 crosses this season, of which 13 have been accurate (23% accuracy). Clichy has put in 16 crosses, of which 3 have been accurate (19% accuracy) , although Kolarov has played a few games more than Clichy to be fair.

By way of comparison, Navas has put in 97(!) crosses already this season, of which 26 have been accurate (27% accuracy).

FromPollockToSilva said:
cccc said:

Three assists, all in the league. Plus he won a penalty at West Brom. One goal, last night.

He's put in 55 crosses this season, of which 13 have been accurate (23% accuracy). Clichy has put in 16 crosses, of which 3 have been accurate (19% accuracy) , although Kolarov has played a few games more than Clichy to be fair.

By way of comparison, Navas has put in 97(!) crosses already this season, of which 26 have been accurate (27% accuracy).

Three assists seems low.

Regardless though, Kolarov almost always creates something in the match. He is underrated on here, we know he's suspect defensively but you got to take the rough with the smooth.

cccc said:
FromPollockToSilva said:
cccc said:

Three assists seems low.

Regardless though, Kolarov almost always creates something in the match. He is underrated on here, we know he's suspect defensively but you got to take the rough with the smooth.

Bear in mind that some crosses may have been converted by the 'second' man, meaning that Kolarov isn't given the assist. He should have a few more too; I can think of at least a couple of chances that he put on a plate for our forwards which weren't converted.

FromPollockToSilva said:
cccc said:
FromPollockToSilva said:

Three assists seems low.

Bear in mind that some crosses may have been converted by the 'second' man, meaning that Kolarov isn't given the assist. He should have a few more too; I can think of at least a couple of chances that he put on a plate for our forwards which weren't converted.

Yup chances created would probably be a better stat for Kolarov. His crosses even if they don't find the right man first time are often so dangerous they make something else. Some he's hit across with such venom if anyone had got so much as a toenail on it it's ending up in the net.

Can't say I can agree with this unfourtunatly. I don't really understand why Aleks was captain last night. Personally didn't think he was the man for the job. Also people need to remember his primary job is to defend. He may have a decent left foot going forward but I don't think he is secure enough at the back. If you watch him he doesn't stick to a man as he is shocking one on one. He lacks pace and I think once clichey is back he will go straight back to the starting position.

Kolarov's defensive ability is less problematic in view of the series of lapses we've seen from Clichy. He's mentally far tougher than Clichy and ,where Gael recently conceded a ridiculous penalty, Aleks stood up boldly to the plate in munich and slammed the ball past Neuer. It's been all too easy for boo-boys to mispronounce his name and bawl out '' Collar Off !'' as a term of abuse. He wants to be at the heart of the action and was ready to carry on against Everton when blood was streaming from a cut over his eye.

owenaf said:
Can't say I can agree with this unfourtunatly. I don't really understand why Aleks was captain last night. Personally didn't think he was the man for the job. Also people need to remember his primary job is to defend. He may have a decent left foot going forward but I don't think he is secure enough at the back. If you watch him he doesn't stick to a man as he is shocking one on one. He lacks pace and I think once clichey is back he will go straight back to the starting position.

Defending hasn't been the primary job of top-level fullbacks for about five or six seasons now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.