Well done Aleks...

TCIB said:
Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Will he get a new contract though? Thats the $1,000,000 question. I personally doubt it and he'll be sold in the summer.

He will get a new contract imo and is showing he is deserving.
I liked Mancini but he never used Kolarov right and it irked me endlessly as he was getting grief on here for being (insert insult here).

Never knocked him and always saw a decent defender in him, not great but he can attack well.
The old rule of thumb that defenders defend first and any other attributes are a bonus is dying mate.
Especially in the system Pellegrini plays. If you can't contribute when attacking as a fullback, you won't be on the pitch.

Nowts changed imo. Other team now target that flank because he is weak defensively. But yes he remains an asset going forward and I was screaming at him to continue that run and what a great well deserved goal on his weaker foot. For me he is a useful squad member but not an automatic starter.

Kolarov has been very good this year, one of the best things so far this season has been his improved play.

He's far from perfect defensively but to be fair, I think his defensive woes are a bit overblown. He still makes me nervous but I don't think he's made very many costly mistakes this season.

He's also just a menace going forward. Some of the balls he plays in are stunning and he has scored/set up a fair amount of goals this year.

Didn't think I'd say this but I think he's got to be 1st choice over Clichy for the time being.

Balti said:
Nowts changed imo. Other team now target that flank because he is weak defensively. But yes he remains an asset going forward and I was screaming at him to continue that run and what a great well deserved goal on his weaker foot. For me he is a useful squad member but not an automatic starter.

I'd suggest he's not weak, it's just the Right flank is the area that has Milner/Navas (good and tireless defensively) and Zabs/Kompany who can both lay a claim to being the best right back and centre back in the world. We are spoilt on the right and this makes the left look worse than it actually is, this isn't helped that most teams attack this area precisely to avoid the, as I said, couple of players who are argubly the best in the world. It is weaker yes, but not weak, most teams would kill for our left flank. Kolarov would look much better if, when beaten like Zaba occasionally is, he had someone as good as Kompany with him.

Balti said:

He's slightly improved whilst Clichy's playing worse. A lot's changed, he's the better of the two imo.

I think he's doing better under M.P. I do, however, think we need a new left back and would make an offer for Baines.

ManCitizens. said:
Balti said:

He's slightly improved .

Not having that to be fair.

Earlier in the year I posted about talking to several people in Malaga about our new manager and was told to watch out for the vast improvement to some of the so called average players.

Aleks is right up there with Nasri as most improved player this year.

MC ID said:
Balti said:

I'd suggest he's not weak, it's just the Right flank is the area that has Milner/Navas (good and tireless defensively) and Zabs/Kompany who can both lay a claim to being the best right back and centre back in the world. We are spoilt on the right and this makes the left look worse than it actually is, this isn't helped that most teams attack this area precisely to avoid the, as I said, couple of players who are argubly the best in the world. It is weaker yes, but not weak, most teams would kill for our left flank. Kolarov would look much better if, when beaten like Zaba occasionally is, he had someone as good as Kompany with him.
Agree with everything you've said here, just wanted to point out as well that not only are milner and navas better defensively but also on their natural flank and better able to cover the full back position, in contrast we use an 'inside forward' or 'false winger' on the other side who will naturally drift infield giving less cover to that flank. I'd say if you were to find the stats we concede more on our left flank than our right regardless of personnel, apart from when we play kolarov in midfield ahead of clichy obviously.

toffee balls said:
ManCitizens. said:
Balti said:

He's slightly improved .

Not having that to be fair.

Earlier in the year I posted about talking to several people in Malaga about our new manager and was told to watch out for the vast improvement to some of the so called average players.

Aleks is right up there with Nasri as most improved player this year.

Spot on. Both are part of a very good team, giving 100%. Both show desire and are playing to win.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.