Welsh teams in the Prem

Speaking as a Celtic fan first and foremost, I'm actually quite happy to stay in Scotland. It's not ideal, we'll never reach our full potential and people south of the border will always turn their noses up at us. At the end of the day, however, we're a Scottish team and nothing makes me prouder than to see us do well in Europe despite the disadvantages of being in the SPL.

The only upsetting thing about it is seeing the vitriol that people spew in our direction whenever this topic is raised. There is a level of snobbery involved which is pretty venomous and rather eye opening when you zoom out and consider how passionate some people are about forbidding financially struggling teams north of the border from tapping into one of the UK's most successful industries. If you apply that attitude to a wider context you can see why the UK is on the brink of dissolving. Little things like 'YOU CAN'T JOIN OUR LEAGUES! GO AWAY YOU DESTITUTE JOCKS! *slams door*' play on the psyche a lot more than folk might think.

Personally I think the Scottish, Irish, N.I and Welsh leagues should combine like they did in Rugby. Celtic would still dominate, at least at first, but it'd open up the market from 5,000,000 potential viewers to about 15-25 million (if you include folk living in England). At the very least you might find Welsh/Irish football clubs improving a bit and widening the scope for competition. With UEFA now abiding 'joined up' leagues in women's football I think this would work quite well.

It's just the way it is. The bigger Welsh clubs, Swansea, Cardiff and to a lesser extent, Wrexham, have been in the English game as long as i've been following football, yet it would see strange having Celtic in. (Can't say Rangers as i'd hate their hun following allowed around the grounds of England again, the fucking wankers).

Shifte said:
Speaking as a Celtic fan first and foremost, I'm actually quite happy to stay in Scotland. It's not ideal, we'll never reach our full potential and people south of the border will always turn their noses up at us. At the end of the day, however, we're a Scottish team and nothing makes me prouder than to see us do well in Europe despite the disadvantages of being in the SPL.

The only upsetting thing about it is seeing the vitriol that people spew in our direction whenever this topic is raised. There is a level of snobbery involved which is pretty venomous and rather eye opening when you zoom out and consider how passionate some people are about forbidding financially struggling teams north of the border from tapping into one of the UK's most successful industries. If you apply that attitude to a wider context you can see why the UK is on the brink of dissolving. Little things like 'YOU CAN'T JOIN OUR LEAGUES! GO AWAY YOU DESTITUTE JOCKS! *slams door*' play on the psyche a lot more than folk might think.

Personally I think the Scottish, Irish, N.I and Welsh leagues should combine like they did in Rugby. Celtic would still dominate, at least at first, but it'd open up the market from 5,000,000 potential viewers to about 15-25 million (if you include folk living in England). At the very least you might find Welsh/Irish football clubs improving a bit and widening the scope for competition. With UEFA now abiding 'joined up' leagues in women's football I think this would work quite well.

Nothing to do with any of the above as far as I am concerned.
Just dont want all that sectarian shite brought down here.

Did you know that when hereford won the welsh cup in 1990 the welsh f.a would,nt let them take up their European cup winners cup spot because they are English

sheikmedick said:
Did you know that when hereford won the welsh cup in 1990 the welsh f.a would,nt let them take up their European cup winners cup spot because they are English

Ironically many Herefordians hate the Welsh like Mancs hate Scousers.

Swansea play great football and deserve their place in the PL as will Cardiff who also play good football... we need more of them and less of teams like QPR... Rangers and Celtic wouldnt dare move to the PL.. Never win another trophy between em or qualify for any European competition.

Whitworth Park said:
Shifte said:

Nothing to do with any of the above as far as I am concerned.
Just dont want all that sectarian shite brought down here.

Couldnt agree more I'd enjoy the competition but the sectarianism makes it a no-brainer.

Not wanting sectarian baggage in the English game is completely reasonable. I can totally understand why someone wouldn't want that, and I wouldn't suggest otherwise.

It's just that quite often people damning the notion start spouting weird remarks which I feel are uncalled for. Usually folk will also slag off the quality of the SPL too, which is kind of weird because you wouldn't expect a league in a country of five million to come anywhere near that of of 55 million.

The SPL actually does pretty well, all things considered. Very few nations have a European Cup winning team, and even a few years ago we'd get two teams in the Champion's League - with one going straight into the group stages.

Oh well, the OP asked a question about Welsh teams, and it has descended into a north south divide.

The top Welsh teams have always plied their trade in the English leagues, Cardiff City have won the FA Cup, and I don't ever recall hearing anyone making any comment about Welsh teams playing in England. Wrexham, Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, and even Merthyr Tydfil have played in FA run leagues.

The Swansea fans seem to be enjoying life at the moment, and Cardiff fans are probably getting excited about their immediate prospects, but it's not as though they are strangers in the football league.

Welsh teams are a part of our football heritage, and they always have been.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.