Were you Swales out, or Swales in?

paulchapo said:
M331Sydney I can understand this viewpoint too.Year after year of broken promises and disappointment.Looking back it was almost criminal and a great many people died knowing only this and that is why i shed a tear when we won the league and cup.I NEVER thought i would see success again in my lifetime and certainly not the league title.

It is also why every true football fan who didn't support the rags leapt in joy when Aguero's shot hit the back of the net.They knew the pain we had endured and felt that raw outpouring of utter joy at it's ending.

Well said both of you.

I'm not sure how many fans understand the pain we've been through.

For me it always depended on the performance / result that day. I was never shy of joining the Swales out chanters but in fairnes to the guy he tried his best he put a lot of his own money into the club but he just made shocking decisions and was just bleeding clueless. I believe Ridsdale closely followed the Swales plan on a number of occasions

paulchapo wrote:
M331Sydney I can understand this viewpoint too.Year after year of broken promises and disappointment.Looking back it was almost criminal and a great many people died knowing only this and that is why i shed a tear when we won the league and cup.I NEVER thought i would see success again in my lifetime and certainly not the league title.

It is also why every true football fan who didn't support the rags leapt in joy when Aguero's shot hit the back of the net.They knew the pain we had endured and felt that raw outpouring of utter joy at it's ending.

Well said both of you.

===========================================================

And you know what Paulo I wouldn't swap one single minute of it... because watching Sergio score exorcised all those demons in one fell swoop... let the good times roll.

(Had to laugh at the Cup Final though when TBBM shouted Swales out 2 minutes after we'd lifted the trophy... wish I'd thought of it first)

noely said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Was it the S*n or the Mirror that was dishing out stickers (with their own logo on, of course) saying ''Don't save the Swales''?

Also loved the headline when he left after defeat against Cardiff in the FA Cup saying ''S-Wales Out''!!
it was the mirror
I remember getting lee 9 on the back of my 93 home shirt and when walking home down yew tree road I used to get beeps off cars and pats on backs by fellow walkers
I was only 11 but even then I could tell we were being run wrong

I would like to ask maybe one for gary james
from the early protests in the early 80s till he finally left when franny took over was there any other serious candidate or interested party who put themselves forward to takeover from him apart from Lee ??

The Mirror did forward with Franny badges; the Sun did 'Don't Save The Swales'.

There were often rumours of people coming forward (like Eddie Shah) but nothing ever seemed likely until Lee.

Personally, I blame all those directors and significant shareholders who could and should have challenged him after all he only had a handful of shares until City were relegated in 83 and he started buying them for small amounts.

-- Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:11 pm --

Haddenham said:
Gary James said:
I didn't have any feelings either way until 1981-82 when I saw him on a debate show talking about million pound footballers - he was boasting about how City were the 1st team to have 3 separate £1m plus players and how we'll keep on spending. Even at 13 or 14 I knew his approach seemed wrong especially as the Club started making cutbacks in coaching staff and playing squad that same season. Then he sold Trevor Francis and that made me totally Swales Out.

I took part in almost all the demos from 1984 onwards (I didn't do any before 84 and there were so many after 84 that I must have missed a couple somewhere along the way).

Over the last few weeks I've been researching film footage for the project I'm doing with the North West Film Archive on City and I have to say that seeing interviews with Swales from 1973 to 1981 I wish the demos had started a lot earlier. I cannot believe some of the comments he made publicly and wish we'd all been wise a little earlier.

A great club became a laughing stock under him and led to the situation where we're now seen as a club with 'no history' - it's the period 1978-2007 that's out of character with our history, not 2008 onwards!

Gary
Was this the same debate show that was hosted by Tony Wilson in 1982?

I think I'm right in saying that Peter Swales and Martin Edwards were arguing that high transfer fees (£million signings) were good for the game and on the other side of the debate was Gordon Taylor who was giving an alternative point of view.

There then followed a Q & A session from the studio audience of which one just happened to be Malcolm Allison who chipped in with his twopennyworth. Allison then went on to explain how City signed Steve Daley. (I can't remember the exact sums of money) Allison contacted John Barnwell (Wolves manager) and enquired about Daley and how much he'd cost, Barnwell said 900k, Allison offered 500k. After some negotiations Barnwell and Alison still couldn't agree a fee with Allison offering around 750k so negotiations broke down. Allison then said that he went to Portugal over the weekend to look a couple of players and left Tony Book in charge of an away game at Spurs. When Allison arrived back to take charge of the team for a League cup game vs Sheffield Wednesday he was told by Swales that fee had been agreed for Daley, when Allison asked about the fee, Swales replied £1.4 million. Allison then claimed that there was a very heated exchange between the two of them.

Tony Wilson then walked over to Swales and said "Peter, would you like to reply to that?" Swales said "No Comment", when Wilson pressed him again, Swales again said "No Comment".

Now I can't remember exact word for word how the debate went, but what I've quoted is pretty accurate and it'll be interesting to see if GJ or any other board members can shed any more light on that Tv programme

I don't remember the Allison bit at all. There was a panel of about 5 but I don't remember who was on it. It was in the middle of the spending madness (not late 80s, so pretty certain it wasn't the Upfront prog mentioned elsewhere on the thread).

I'm pretty certain it was on BBC northwest.

M331Sydney said:
And you know what Paulo I wouldn't swap one single minute of it... because watching Sergio score exorcised all those demons in one fell swoop... let the good times roll.

(Had to laugh at the Cup Final though when TBBM shouted Swales out 2 minutes after we'd lifted the trophy... wish I'd thought of it first)

The pure raw gutteral scream/roar that erupted from everyone's throats when Sergio's shot hit the back of the net was unlike anything i had ever experianced in football before.I think because until it did we were back IN the Swales era again.It felt like i was stood on the terraces of the kippax,the cold grey ghosts of our miserable past, of failure and disappointment swirling,gripping and taunting us one last time,it was surreal.Everything looked and felt cold,grey and lifeless.Then the goal and everything exploded into pure joy and colour.It was almost like an exorcism,the emotion was that powerful.

M331Sydney said:
paulchapo wrote:

Well said both of you.

===========================================================

St Jude as the patron saint of lost causes must be a City fan because he's come up trumps on so many occasions.

Nothing surprises me about that day with hindsight - needing 2 goals in injury time.

Seeing all those rag faces as well at the end.

Definately Swales out and did all the demos, at one a copper dragged me away thought i was nicked, knocked my head on side of van and said, hope the twat stays and fucks your club up now fuck off, police was full of swamp dwellers them days

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.