West Brom Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

I'd agree with that if they'd scored decent goals, but both were poor, and hardly created by them, more our inept defending, from players who had switrched off.

All I'm saying is that we still haven't completely lost the ability to switch off defensively.

cleavers said:
I'd agree with that if they'd scored decent goals, but both were poor, and hardly created by them, more our inept defending, from players who had switrched off.

All I'm saying is that we still haven't completely lost the ability to switch off defensively.

Progress is sometimes a slow process ... :)

For me there were so many positives last night, the biggest being that we looked for large parts of the game like the same imperious team we do at home.

Bring on Southampton. If they defend with the kind of high line they've been playing with so far this season then I'd expect Kun/Navas/Nasri to fill their boots.

The Pink Panther said:
sir baconface said:
Were there words between him and Kun I wonder?

Quite possibly. They did have an exchange in the first half and as I said, Aguera's decision making last night was poor

I felt sorry for Dzeko. He took up a couple of great positions last night and should have been given the ball and the same on Sunday. Nasri went for his hat trick, when a simple pass would have left Dzeko with only the keeper to beat
His decision making was of a man who didn't trust his strike partner. It wasn't particularly poor, he took on shots that ended up on target and needed saving or blocking.

Edin was in a few good positions but the one where he didn't pull it back was the right move anyway IMO as Kun had to speed up to get into the position he did and would have had to slow down and change his body position to pull it back to Edin; the shot was actually easier to take on.

Excellent in the first half, not so great in the second! Very nervous and edgy when they got a goal back! Nice to see kompany back, Nasri was class in the first half.
Yaya and fern brilliant and reliable as always

We STILL haven't got that ruthless streak.. very sloppy at the end, we should have kept the pressure up and TRIED to put another couple past them in the last ten minutes...

It could come down to GD at the end.......remember two years ago.....

shout.gif
Sort it out Pellers!

BillyShears said:
cleavers said:
At 3-0 up with 6 minutes to play, everyone should expect us to see out victory, which we did, but the rank bad defending hasn't gone away fully.

For most of the night we defended well, restricting them to hardly any good chances, but we switched off at the back in the last minutes, and while it didn't cost us a result, it cost us a margin of victory we'd fully deserved, and ultimately made the performance look less impressive, when there was a good chance of making a significant statement to the rest of the league that we've fully clicked away from home now as well.

I've no problem with any of the subs, all key players rested, and those that came on weren't the ones at fault for the goals anyway.

At some point we're going to have to start giving the opposition a little credit too. West Brom could've rolled over and allowed us to run up a cricket score after the third goal went in but instead they continued to come at us with everything they had. It was pretty obvious to me why other big teams have struggled at their place.

WBA were energetic and tenacious throughout and never made it easy for City. However, we made still turned the ball over far more than we should have done. Don't know how it looked on TV but, stood there, it was very frustrating. We did though thoroughly deserve the win and were never in any real danger of not doing securing victory. In fact, we should have been totally out of sight by half time. We did put together some very nice moves and the first two goals were superb team efforts.

Pellegrini was right to take off the players that he did and I would have withdrawn Sergio even earlier and gone for an extra man in midfield. However, waiting as long as he did cost us nothing in the game.

Their first goal had a major element of luck but was preceded by moments where City players might have done better. On the second, I wonder if Demich was a bit deep compared to his team mates; also wonder if Pants could have done better?

Our goals aside, my highlight of the game was early in the second half when Nasri displayed some exquisite skill and tenacity in outmaneuvering several WBA players out on the flank.

The only way to deal with the defending or to be accurate the lack of concentration for the full 90+ mins is to accept it. We are what we are. Excellent forward play but prone to sloppy lapses when the team decides to go walkabout. Its a mentality thing. Its always a mentality thing. It always will be a mentality thing and it ain't going to magically cure itself.

On a totally separate note I can't remember the last time I enjoyed MOTD so much...

Was watching the match on a decent stream last night when the host turned it over to watch the last 2 minutes of the United match - as a result missed the foul leading up to the penalty. Thanks to the posters who sent all the links I was able to see the penalty :-)

I think the number of substitutions was a mistake but I think some of our casual/lazy passing (particularly in midfield) started way before that. This compounded the problems at the back and the substititions made it worse. On the positive side our first 30 minutes were the best we've played away this season and West Brom are not a pushover.

Komps, Dhino and Kolorov had good games. Aside from the goals Toure looked slow in midfield and gave the ball away a few times. Dezeko started well but became increasingly frustrated with Aguero's failure to pick him out resulting in an exchange of words - when we had less posession in the 2nd half Dzeko went missing and proved he still can't hold up the ball or beat a man.

Regarding Demichelis I would consider resting him for the Southampton game. I thought despite the mistake for the goal he did ok but I think Lescott has a more established partnership with Kompany. We desperately need to sign a quality CB in January (if the right one is available)

Forgot to mention how good our away fans were last night. All I could hear was City fans from start to finish. Ironically a lot of their fans had already gone home and missed their 2 goals!

The score flattered West Brom in my opinion, I thought we put in a strong 1st half performance and saw the game out 'comfortably'.

The two late goals from West Brom did confirm the frailties we have at the back though, Demichelis was turned far too easily for the 2nd.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.