West Ham United (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

I thought Jack was the unsung hero in yesterday's game. He was pivotal in the build up to 2 of the goals and is efficient and controlled when in possession. He often gets stick but his end product is often better than Doku's' despite Doku looking much more exciting on the face of it.
His first half was up there with his treble winning best. Really great, so smart positionally, so good on the ball, doing that thing that Silva was so good at in moving to get the ball, creating the space for someone else, and then passing it back into the space. I love the explosiveness of Doku and Savinho but there's something so satisfying watching Kev, Bernie and Jack pass and move and work a defensive puzzle out.

Another entertaining game, partly due to the hammers not sitting back all game. Should have been out of sight at half time but we were much the better team overall.

I genuinely think we're a stronger team, at least as strong as the treble team, for one simple reason: Kova, Gvardiol and Rico have now come fully into their own as compared to last season. Everybody else has stayed at their imperious level, apparently. Kev looks fresh and hungry, above all he looks as though he's enjoying his football again. Actually, I see that I've just given several reasons…
I've maybe got a slight worry about Rúben, if anyone. He's still playing at a very high level, but it seems to me that he's not quite as absolutely dependable as he was a couple of seasons back. That own goal surprised me a bit yesterday. No West Ham player near him. I'd still have him in my team, probably, because he's an organiser, and a leader.
My only wish is that KDB would hang up his international boots & give the rest of his meaningful career to City.

He's nothing more to gain by physically rinsing himself out playing for Belgium at his age. Both he & Walker should take a leaf out of Gundog's book.

No Savinho, no Rodri, no Foden, no Stones, no fucking worries.
The first thing that struck me was how much we missed Savinho! He's only played twice in the PL, but he's made a massive impact already.

Just imagine Savinho & the pre-season Oscar as our RW options, with Echeverri, the right-footed Messi, still to arrive in January!

My only wish is that KDB would hang up his international boots & give the rest of his meaningful career to City.

He's nothing more to gain by physically rinsing himself out playing for Belgium at his age. Both he & Walker should take a leaf out of Gundog's book.
De Bruyne will turn 35 during the next World Cup finals in 2026, and while I’m sure he thinks he can help Belgium get there, he’s unlikely to be in the starting eleven then. I agree with you, but I guess that some players are more comfortable retiring from international football and are happy that it won’t blunt their edge in terms of club football, whereas others might think that calling it a day internationally might mentally affect them and precipitate their decline.

De Bruyne will turn 35 during the next World Cup finals in 2026, and while I’m sure he thinks he can help Belgium get there, he’s unlikely to be in the starting eleven then. I agree with you, but I guess that some players are more comfortable retiring from international football and are happy that it won’t blunt their edge in terms of club football, whereas others might think that calling it a day internationally might mentally affect them and precipitate their decline.
To be honest I think it's more to do with the pride & ego of representing your country. Players seem to prize international appearances over club, but at a club like Manchester City, this makes less sense the older a player gets.

Pep has already said we could potentially play 70+ matches this season. The vast majority of those matches will be in the biggest domestic competitions in the world, against teams which are stronger than most International sides, so it's not like our players will be missing out on prestigious, big match occasions.

I seriously don't get the pull of international football, especially as players age.

Crikey, where does Echeverri go in this team? Does he try and play Bernardos midfield role or a strict no 10 behind Haaland? When Bobb comes back in this squad is going to start to look very scarey. Top quality everywhere.

I read and watch some of our closest rivals youtube stuff and other social media, they don't seem to have a clue how Peps tweaked it this year and some laughably think were weaker than last year. I suspect they are now starting to wake up to what's going on here. Don't know about everybody else but I'm getting 22/23 vibes.

Will watch two cheeks of the same arse kick fuck out each other trying to keep up with us this afternoon. I happily dont give a fuck who wins or what the result is knowing they are both shitting it at being behind us already. That and the hyperventilating gooner bottlers at it already is great for us.

I genuinely think we're a stronger team, at least as strong as the treble team, for one simple reason: Kova, Gvardiol and Rico have now come fully into their own as compared to last season. Everybody else has stayed at their imperious level, apparently. Kev looks fresh and hungry, above all he looks as though he's enjoying his football again. Actually, I see that I've just given several reasons…
I've maybe got a slight worry about Rúben, if anyone. He's still playing at a very high level, but it seems to me that he's not quite as absolutely dependable as he was a couple of seasons back. That own goal surprised me a bit yesterday. No West Ham player near him. I'd still have him in my team, probably, because he's an organiser, and a leader.
Yes, Father Ruben was arguably the best defender in the world shortly after he joined us. I think his standards have slipped a little these last 12 months or so. But form is temporary and class is permanent, and he is a class act. He'll come back to his best form.

To be honest I think it's more to do with the pride & ego of representing your country. Players seem to prize international appearances over club, but at a club like Manchester City, this makes less sense the older a player gets.

Pep has already said we could potentially play 70+ matches this season. The vast majority of those matches will be in the biggest domestic competitions in the world, against teams which are stronger than most International sides, so it's not like our players will be missing out on prestigious, big match occasions.

I seriously don't get the pull of international football, especially as players age.
I think that for some players, particularly those from certain countries, they feel strongly attached to their national side and it’s also a welcome opportunity to get out of Manchester/England and be back amongst players/friends/families, often in their own country.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.