What are we expecting from Pep's first season?

Will tell you now mate we won't become the best team in Europe for a good few seasons yet! You really think we will overhaul Barca,Bayern and Madrid in three seasons just because Pep is coming?

He's being left a squad that is light years behind those three-mainly because we have bought average players and kept players long past there sell by date, that can't be rectified in two transfer windows.

I'd settle for steady progression- with a manager who will play some of our great EDS lads for a start .
Agreed

Pep has lost last two years in CL semis with that Bayern team so it's not like him coming makes us the best. We may never win the CL who knows

Pep has to reach the semifinals of the Europa league and qualify for the Champions league

If he does anything spectacular with this lot in his first season then he really is some kind of minor deity. It's not imo that the players aren't good enough, to run away with this league anyhow, but that they have been worn down by a complete lack of direction & inspiration & largely forgotton how it all works.

He has a lot to do, in order to get these players playing proper football, & especially in his style. Biggest problem is the limited time he will have to spend with them pre season.

But after that first period, I'm hoping he can develop a team that can play in a variety of styles, with quality & inspiration, involve young players, & build something special which lasts after he has gone.

All the stuff that should have happened rather than going steadily backwards for 3 years.

I'll be happy if we play like an organised team again. Smashing the Rags and the Red Scouse would be a nice bonus.

Was just about to post about organization mate! Also tactics to counter the oppositions strengths as well not just throwing the same players and same system out there every game hoping for the best!

I am expecting organisation, tactics, much improved fitness (not injury record, actual cardiovascular fitness), proper thought out and planned formations and player selections, preparation on how the opposition play and their strengths and weaknesses, proper motivation re-installing that confidence/swagger/arrogance we used to have...

Because we appear to have had none of that!

With that we can start thinking about winning football matches on a regular basis and build from there. Let's see where we are come Christmas and then see what we think we'll achieve for the rest of next season from there. Because right now it's all a mess and Guardiola's first job is to sort the mess out, not come here and win the league, because we aren't a club in a position to win the league the way this manager is going to leave us.

Hopefully, you are right and I am wrong, but to win the league at a canter is very much Blue Tinted Specs. I understand that he plays a high tempo, possession based game, but without several changes, not sure our current "1st 11", could do that. With several changes, time is needed (more than a pre season).

As I said, hope you are right, but I don't see it straight away.

I do not think that is looking through blue-tinted specs. I would not expect him to compete with the top sides in Europe, as we are a distance behind.

However if we are faced with the same challenge next year of Leicester and a Spurs and Arsenal side who will post there usual 70 points total I would fully expect a City side to finish comfortably above them.

Last year Chelsea took there foot of the gas and hit 87 points. The year under Mancini we hit 89 points to win the title, the following year United hit 89 and City and Liverpool both posted 80 plus the following season. The fact this season is a close race is due to the under- performance of City and Chelsea.

The fact is, once Chelsea players decided to down tools, it was really a one horse race and currently it looks like we will finish fourth.

How last summer we finished second, already having a competitive advantage and then spent a roughly 130 million and have slipped backwards is an absolute mystery. It's a failure of epic proportions.

If Chelsea return to the fore next year Pep could have his work cut out but if he was faced with Wesley Morgans Leicester and the two North London clubs posting 70 points yes I expect us to win in a canter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.