What book are you reading now / or recommend?

Gironimo by Tim Moore.

In a similar vein to his French Revolutions book about cycling the Tour de France route, Tim Moore decided to repeat the infamous 1914 Giro d'Italia on a period bike complete with wooden wheels and cork brakes. Very funny in places but it probably requires you to have an interest in cycling before it becomes unputdownable.

I read this while recovering from breaking 10 bones in a high-speed spill from my (modern) road bike. As a result, his description of descending Sestriere while relying on ineffective cork brakes he made from a bottle of Prosecco just gave me nightmares.

Just started "An Officer and a Spy" by Robert Harris.

Only a couple of chapters in but I am gripped already. It is a true story set in 1894 where a French army officer is sentenced to life imprisonment on Devil's Island (think this is where Papillion was sent too) after being tried for treason. He was supposed to have given secrets away to the Germans. But I guess that from what I have deduced so far, it was a massive stitch up.

I used to be an avid reader always had one on the go and read for usually and hour before going to sleep every night until I got Netflix now I just watch shite on there instead of reading

unicorn said:
Just finished Mark Kermode's autobiography (of a sort) - its very funny in a Bill Bryson-ish way even if you're not a film obsessive.

Does he reveal why he named himself after something pensioners sit on to piss and shit?

Carstairs said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
foxy said:
Is 'the secret footballer' worth a read?

No - I got bought it for Christmas, and it's shite.
As It Happens, by Jimmy Savile, and The White Guard, by Mikhail Bulgakov.

Seconded, also, the Master and Margherita by Bulgakov is a fantastic novel.

Nostromo, by Joseph Conrad, is highly recommended.
For the excellent reason that Master and Margherita was the inspiration for Sympathy for the Devil, I bought a copy
years ago. I was not impressed
Ditto, Joseph Conrad,s Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now. Same effect on me I,m afraid.

Joe Abercrombie is someone I highly recommend. "The last argument of kings" "The Heroes" and "Best Served Cold"

And Tim Willocks too. " "The Religion" and "Twelve Children of Paris"..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.