What got you supporting City?

Self-proclaimed tourist here. Was living in deepest Hampshire and started playing football at school aged 8. Had to have a kit so Mum bought a classic 69 Cup Final strip (well black and red stripes really) and sewed an 8 on the back - the black and red was just so fantastic I fell in love! As a result I was obsessed with King Colin; used to cut out every picture, insisted on playing centre midfield with a licence to score, cried my eyes out at the defeat to Sunderland in 73 and was devastated when Buchan effectively ended his career.

Now 50, Mum's died but have still got that shirt upstairs. Only disappointment re City is now I've got 2 girls who don't give a toss about football, yet.

Absolutely no idea.Have asked my parents many times why and when I started to support City.They know when,about 1970,but not why.Perhaps I was an original glory hunter.Whatever the reason I'm just glad I did.I have fucking loved every minute of it and wouldn't swap ANY part of our history.To me it is what has made us the best fans in the country.Bar none.

My best mate was a city fan. During that time I was a right winger for my high school team and i use to pretend i was Mike Summerbee holding my sleeves over my hands. My mate eventually switched to derby county for a few seasons now he's a Spurs fan. Luckily I stuck with city and it wasn't long before my mum took me to my first game away at WHL.

pete1970 said:
Law 74 The Sudden influx of the Camera brigade-where were they when we were struggling?

-- Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:25 pm --

Law 74 The Sudden influx of the Camera brigade-where were they when we were struggling?

Well I have to admit that I did bring my camera to the Southampton game at Maine Road, and also brought it to wembley for the final and Lisbon (though not to the game) and even brought a new one for the QPR game last year, but for other games I didnt bother with it so you might not have thought of me and the mates as tourists as we had no camera's with us.

Quite a strange one for me. Have absolutely no family connections to City and always lived in Kilmarnock so It's a bit of a strange one for me. My dad used to buy me different football tops as a kid, remember owning a few City shirts, a forest shirt, a west ham shirt, a villa shirt - all as a very very young kid.

At this time, and for around 16 years of my life I've had a season ticket for Kilmarnock, my local club, hating all things old firm.
As I got older obviously I stopped wearing every football top under the sun, bar the odd foreign one I'd get on holiday sometimes...but I did continue to get some City tops.

The first time I can remember watching a game and actually supporting City was Gillingham in 99. I remember being at my mates, I picked City because I'd had a few tops and he picked the gills. Anyway, when Horlock scored (I was still only 10 years old at this point, had never set foot in Manchester) I found myself praying we got an equalizer. When Dickov scored I was completely took in by the passion of our fans and indeed the players. From that day City were officially my "English club".

Growing up supporting them has been difficult at times, as I say no family supports them and as you can guess most mates are rags/Liverpool etc etc. Obviously still being a young kid I never got to go to a game.

The first game I managed to get to was Sunderland away in 09. I hate it. I hate the fact I wasn't able to go years earlier for financial (and age!) reasons. Even still I only get down to the odd game, but I thoroughly enjoy it. Drive down myself on occassions, and look forward to it. But any person who calls me a glory hunter I take with a pinch of salt. I remember quitting a game of footy down the park with my mates just so I could go home and listen to City games on the radio - most memorably Blackburn away on our promotion to the PL. As a young kid doing that 200 miles away from Manchester with no family influence, I wouldn't ever think of myself as a glory hunter.

Come to think of it, when the rags won the CL in 99 my mates in primary school were all teasing me about it I remember, so I probably started supporting City even earlier - but Gillingham is the first one I can officially remember.

My old man, sometimes wished he hadn't during the dark days but never mentioned it to him!

Cheers Dad!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.