What was the most toxic period at City?

For me it's 1993 - 1998... The whole Swales - Lee saga, the all-too-brief optimism of August - Dec 1994, the car crash of Ball - Coppell - Clarke, the inevitable relegation to Div 2 leading up to the debacles of Lincoln and York... the ship finally started to turn just after Christmas 1998, and while there were more ups and downs thereafter, nothing was ever, upon reflection, quite as bad again - even the Pearce 2006-07 season needs to be viewed in the context/comparison of what had gone on 10-years before...
This is the clear and obvious worst period.

The regular demos in front of Maine Road before games were getting very ugly.

Three genuinely toxic occasions that I don't think have been mentioned

Half Time at Craven Cottage 83-84 (losing 4-0)
Half Time at Edgeley Park 97-98 (losing 3-0)
Half Time v Coventry 00-01 (abuse for Edghill)
The last game you mention I was utterly ashamed to be a City supporter!!
Edgey wasn't a world beater, but he played with utter commitment for our club. The dogs abuse he got was appalling.

None of that matters when you've got that clueless lump of rag shite sat in our dugout.

Fuck Mark Hughes. One of the best days in my city watching life when we binned off that twat and got Bobby Manc in.
He tucked united off and enjoyed some of his best years at Chelsea and in Italy, hardly a rags legend, thought he was a very good appointment at the time. Remain convinced with more time he'd have brought us a trophy or two. Realise this is not a popular view

This is the clear and obvious worst period.

The regular demos in front of Maine Road before games were getting very ugly.
Yeah. The worst end I was at for infighting was the Blackburn one that has been frequently mentioned.

But the whole end of Swales era was awful. Death threats to Swales, protests before and after games. I remember playing Wimbledon at home towards the emd of the season and losing one nil...the atmosphere was horrendous, bordering on mutinous. Some guys set fire to stuff (?!) in the Main Stand as the match was going on (I rarely went in there as a kid, but me and my dad got free tickets from his mate) and Swales Out chants were very loud and aggressive.

Really think Rick Holden can be credited with stopping some serious shit going down that day with his jammy late equaliser!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.