What was the most toxic period at City?

For me it's 1993 - 1998... The whole Swales - Lee saga, the all-too-brief optimism of August - Dec 1994, the car crash of Ball - Coppell - Clarke, the inevitable relegation to Div 2 leading up to the debacles of Lincoln and York... the ship finally started to turn just after Christmas 1998, and while there were more ups and downs thereafter, nothing was ever, upon reflection, quite as bad again - even the Pearce 2006-07 season needs to be viewed in the context/comparison of what had gone on 10-years before...

Spot on. Loads of players who werent good enough, fans getting on their backs, same players not having the character and/or ability to cope, resulting in even worse performances.

We had to hit the bottom before we could turn it round, and we did.

The Hughes era wasnt great.
The takeover and the hope of what was about to happen was brilliant. Signing Robinho, that atmosphere against Chelsea (when Robinho scored the free kick), Shauny Wright coming back, signing Kompany, Zabaleta, Barry, de Jong, Bellamy, Kolo, Adebayor, Lescott, the whole Carlos Tevez signing, the Welcome To Manchester billboard, getting to the Quarters of the UEFA Cup, the atmosphere against Hamburg, smashing Arsenal every time we played them, the Adebayor celebration game, getting to semis of the League Cup (furthest I’d ever seen us get in any cup at the time)…

Yeah there were the seven draws in a row and by the time Hughes went it was time to move up a level with a better manager, but the Hughes era was the exciting start of everything.

I reckon the Swales Out campaign, Alan Ball’s managerial era, Steve Coppel and Frank Clarke’s tenures saw much more vitriol and toxicity. Fans throwing their season tickets on the pitch, sit-ins, abuse hurled at players, managers and the board a lot, ‘we’re shit and we’re sick of it’!

Last edited:
30th May 1999, 87 minutes into the match.

Not only have we been relegated, we haven't managed to get automatic promotion, and now we're 2-0 down with just injury time to go, staring at a second season in the third tier. The definition of darkest before the dawn.

Dunno if that counts as toxic, but it was depressing as fuck.
That was my lowest point in a lifetime of support.

You’re joking aren’t you?

The takeover and the hope of what was about to happen was brilliant. Signing Robinho, that atmosphere against Chelsea (when Robinho scored the free kick), Shauny Wright coming back, signing Kompany, Zabaleta, Barry, de Jong, Bellamy, Kolo, Adebayor, Lescott, the whole Carlos Tevez signing, the Welcome To Manchester billboard, getting to the Quarters of the UEFA Cup, the atmosphere against Hamburg, smashing Arsenal every time we played them, the Adebayor celebration game, getting to semis of the League Cup (furthest I’d ever seen us get in any cup at the time)…

Yeah there were the seven draws in a row and by the time Hughes went it was time to move up a level with a better manager, but the Hughes era was the exciting start of everything.

I reckon the Swales Out campaign, Alan Ball’s managerial era, Steve Coppel and Frank Clarke’s tenures saw much more vitriol and toxicity. Fans throwing their season tickets on the pitch, sit-ins, abuse hurled at players, managers and the board a lot, ‘we’re shit and we’re sick of it’!
before my time all that mate, but fair enough.

Tbh having though about it, the Hughes tenure for me was more frustrating than anything else as we had some very good players at the club, but we were just incredibly inconsistent. I do remember an away loss against West Brom in Dec 2008 being particularly bad though. Think everyone thought he'd be out at the point.

First one that sprang to mind for me. Players throwing their shirts into the crowd at the end of the game only to see them thrown back at them. A proper "Is this it? Is this all we're capable of?" feeling descended over the fanbase that day and it was pretty nasty watching it on TV. Never seen a City end look so bitter but admittedly I missed the 80s.
Taken in isolation it was horrible that day on and off the pitch - but I don't remember the actual period around then being that bad, alot seemed resigned to the position we were in and the atmosphere at the Etihad tended to be simply quiet
I don't think it was as toxic as the period around the end of Swales tenure, that lasted quite a while!!!

The Hughes era wasnt great.
As another poster has mentioned. A lot of the hughes era was really exciting. Signing Robinho, Kompany and zaba. Stephen Ireland playing amazing and some of the games were great. Hamburg and Arsenal at home being two of the stand outs

You can also add in the fact we had some of the nicest kits we’ve ever had

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.