What will work against us?

As soon as another team scores first we we struggle, and 4/5 have scored against us so hardly a time to claim invincibility.

Not sure if anyone's claiming we're invincible, but that's a valid point you raise. We're yet to go behind under Guardiola, so it'll be interesting to see how we react when that happens. Historically we've struggled when conceding first - I'm sure there's a ridiculous stat about us not winning games when we've trailed at half-time? This team feels different though, but time will tell.

For me, one of the biggest challenges facing Guardiola is Liverpool away (and to a slightly lesser extent Arsenal). We seem to always go to those grounds already beaten, and have lacked the mental fortitude to grind out results there in the past. It would be a huge statement if we could win those games.

Not sure if anyone's claiming we're invincible, but that's a valid point you raise. We're yet to go behind under Guardiola, so it'll be interesting to see how we react when that happens. Historically we've struggled when conceding first - I'm sure there's a ridiculous stat about us not winning games when we've trailed at half-time? This team feels different though, but time will tell.

For me, one of the biggest challenges facing Guardiola is Liverpool away (and to a slightly lesser extent Arsenal). We seem to always go to those grounds already beaten, and have lacked the mental fortitude to grind out results there in the past. It would be a huge statement if we could win those games.

Not just win, but win with a plan! Ok that sounds snobby but if we do what we did to Utd then it will have real gravity imo.

At the start of the second half at Old Trafford, United pressed us high up the pitch and Bravo didn't have an outlet at times. Forced him to play it long and we struggled to retain possession for a while. Think that's the only way to beat us at the moment, but not sure any team has the fitness or intensity to maintain that for a full 90 minutes. Even if they do, you suspect Guardiola already has a plan to counteract it. Think Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool away will be our biggest tests.

The Dortmund of old would press hard the first 45 minutes and probably score during that time. With a lead they could sit back deep and look for the counter... - you do not have too keep that intensity for the full time when the opponent is rewarded with goals for the effort...

I think the biggest problems are teams that really have an organized press (but who does in the EPL) or teams that really park the bus and do not open up. Some of this busses are really hard to break apart.

You look great but I could be that the opponents until now underestimated your style or Pep's ability to get your team so far so early and maybe thought they can even play openly with you - or aren't really used to ball possession systems like this. Maybe some managers believed in that media crap that this systems will not work in the EPL because the EPL is so special.... ;) Until now the opponents left you more space to run into that I have seen the last seasons with the most opponents of Bayern. You maybe have to watch the development in the next months.

I know how it was in Germany. In the first van Gaal season - when the players were able to play his system from January/February on (we came from hoofing in the Klinsmann years) - it really functioned great and we were rolling the Bundesliga up from behind. Everybody was praising the football and we nearly won the treble - only lost to Mou's Inter in the CL final (who let us the ball and went on counter attacks...).

In his second season - and the first one with Heynckes - we really had problems against teams that were pressing us. It was not just Dortmund but e.g. Hannover, Mainz etc. too - and we really had big problems against this teams.

In Heynckes second year - and all years with Pep we did not have this problems (do not mention the CL semi finals and that jinxed cup semifinal when all Lahm and Alonso slipped at the penalty shootout and Götze and Schweinsteiger misfired...). There was the odd jinxed goal and bad luck - but we had the most possession and the better chances in every match. We did not loose any important match during that period either (only the just mentioned 4 matches)

I think the media is our worst enemy.

If you read carefully, all the sudden praises they are bestowing now are dishonest and toxic.

They want to delude us and fall prey to outselves. But people lie to themselves so I cant blame them.

To be honest, people hate us now even more than the rags. Because Pep and city oozes class and make them look petit.

I think the media is our worst enemy.

If you read carefully, all the sudden praises they are bestowing now are dishonest and toxic.

They want to delude us and fall prey to outselves. But people lie to themselves so I cant blame them.

To be honest, people hate us now even more than the rags. Because Pep and city oozes class and make them look petit.
I'm not convinced of this. The media need a story. Last year the narrative was: expensive superstars don't care, don't gel, don't play as a team - unlike Leicester, Tottenham etc. This season the story will be: genius manager creates one of the best sides the PL has ever seen: sit back and enjoy. And rightly so: our style of football is going to win over a lot of neutrals this season.

It could not have gone any better, but if you look at the teams we have played, Pep was being entirely honest when he said Bournemouth were the best. West Ham, Sunderland and Stoke are falling apart. Bournemouth always let you play because they play football the right way. The European opposition were very very poor. Utd away was a tough physical battle.

We have played against weak teams in the Premier League and in Europe.

It will get harder.

If we play like this though, no one can beat us over 38 games.

I'm not convinced of this. The media need a story. Last year the narrative was: expensive superstars don't care, don't gel, don't play as a team - unlike Leicester, Tottenham etc. This season the story will be: genius manager creates one of the best sides the PL has ever seen: sit back and enjoy. And rightly so: our style of football is going to win over a lot of neutrals this season.
Well said.
I've never had much time for the view that we are hated by the media just because we are City.....and it breeds a victim, not winner, mentality

What might work against us is all the praise we are getting.

That will also lift opponents. They will want to beat Pep's MCFC even more.

Every team we have played has been put to the sword easily. But look at the teams we have played: the weakest in the Premiership and Europe. If we go to Arsenal and win, or Chelsea then that is the ultimate test. And of course the Barcelona games.

What's most impressive for me is that we played Man Utd away, then a Champions League game, and then Bournemouth in 8 days, and played great in all 3. Tiredness is not affecting us yet. Can we keep this intensity up week after week through Winter and beyond? That is the ask

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.