What's the closest you have been to death?

Many years ago when I'd finished University but hadn't started my graduate job yet I joined by Dad (RIP) on a business trip to Angola (he worked for a large US oil.and gas infrastructure company and managed the operations in Africa).

At that time Angola was in the midst of a civil war between the Government and the Unitas rebel group.

We were taken to a US compound in the outskirts of the capital Luanda, protected by the Angolan military where the oil expats stayed at that time.

One night there was an almighty roar, the windows shattered, you could hear explosions outside and feel the heat from them and we both got under the wooden beds whilst absolute fucking mayhem was going on around us. Bullets were now coming through the windows. It was weird as it seemed to all be in slow motion.

Anyway after a while it stopped and shouts outside the door told us to come out. We came out of the building and went outside and there were burnt out cars, some plastic sheets over dead bodies and black acrid smoke everywhere. We presumed the base had been attacked by Unitas rebels.

What had actually happened is the military who were protecting the compound got word that some Unitas rebels had been spotted a few miles away and these military guys were mobilised to go and fight them. The Luanda Police were then brought in to protect the compound.

When the military came back a few hours later they found a few of the Luanda Police guys in bed with their wives and basically a shoot out between the military and the police took place!!! FML!

I was on a plane to Portugal and then back onto the UK the next day!

Stabbed several times in 1983. Punctured lung and needed a blood transfusion.
But it was 40 years ago, so a long time ago.

When 18 at college I was stood chatting to a mate about half a metre apart on Wilmslow Road in Rusholm. It was very windy and a huge, thick slate from those roofs about 15 m up landed right between us and shattered on the ground. It was nearly half a metre wide and crazy how it missed us both. It would have smashed our heads open.
Of course we just looked at each other and pissed ourselves laughing.

Boxing Day, 2023.

Woke up feeling ill, couldn't catch my breath at all.

Called an ambulance, went straight to A&E. Scans showed pneumonia. Blood tests showed life-threatening anaemia - less than half the haemoglobin a healthy person has.

They pumped me full of blood and antibiotics and for a few hours I was stable, then all of a sudden I just couldn't keep up the effort of breathing.

Respiratory failure, both lungs partially collapsed. I had to be intubated and put on a ventilator. Spent 4 weeks in ICU. At one point they told my family I was probably the sickest person in the hospital. Nobody knew if I was going to make it.

Out of hospital at the end of January. Underwent a few more investigations as to what had caused the anaemia. April, diagnosed with cancer. End of May, surgery to remove it.

I'm on the mend now, just very tired! And hoping that's the end of this year's dramas.

Thanks as ever to all who work in the NHS and all who can and do donate blood.
Wow! Only a few months ago. Good luck going forward Lauz.

I work just one slip away from it daily.

Nearly got hit by a truck years ago. Stood on a corner waiting for the green man, was carrying a pizza box and a truck came careering around the corner and was so close to me that it knocked my pizza out of my hands.

Wow! Only a few months ago. Good luck going forward Lauz.
Thank you!

I'm quite a lot younger than the average age for these sorts of problems (I'm 35) so on the one hand, I've had terrible luck, but on the other my recovery hasn't been quite the slog it might have been. There was a point at which it seemed likely I might need a tracheostomy and it might take months to regain my mobility. But I avoided the trach and managed to regain my strength to walk again after just a few weeks of physio.

I'm hoping that's all my bad luck for the forseeable future, though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.