When did it change

Champions League.

Before it was just the country’s best team representing the league in the European Cup. The cup winner in the CWC and one it two got at shot at UEFA.

When the G14 manipulated the format to make sure they qualified almost regardless then I lost it.

Though to be fair, i only ever wanted the likes of Norwich or Raith Rovers to do well. Never the big red clubs anyway.
Saw what you did with Norwich ;-)

Ever since I got into football as a kid, I've always been (I hope) fair-minded about other teams winning stuff and have argued for the trophies to be shared around for the health of the game and all that gubbins etc.

I've supported British teams in European finals, given credit to top flight winning sides from all around the country and so on and so on. And I've enjoyed and admired the great football served up by Liverpool, Celtic, Everton, West Ham, Nottingham Forest and so on as they won European titles.

But since 2008, the reactions to City's development from other clubs/their supporters, the media, the footballing authorities, together with the letters from moaning, plotting, self-righteous and self-entitled clubs to UEFA/the Premier League and the attempts to screw us via FFP.. well, all that has changed my viewpoint.

And ESPECIALLY with the actions/reactions of the Red Shirts cabal here at home in mind.

This year and next year I want us to win everything again, at least repeating THE Treble. The lot. Todo. Tutti. And for us to do so again the season after. And just for good measure, the two seasons after that will do too..

And if that p**ses off the clubs at the top of the trees here at home and in Europe, so be it. They deserve every moment of misery our beautiful football and our successes can pile on them.

Always wanted the rags to lose every game they play. Did any blue seriously want them to beat Bayern on "that night in Barcelona"™? Fuck that. As for TMM™, I never used to mind them way back when. "my enemy's enemy", and all that. But my feelings towards them changed after the game at Anfield in 2014 when they booed Yaya as he was being stretchered off. After the club taking out a full page ad in the match programme paying respect to the people who never came home after the semi final at Hillsborough. And events since then have only intensified my dislike for them. Spurs; I've hated them since 1981. And Arsenal have only fairly recently become (for me) a detestable bunch
That night in Barcelona I was at the M/CR arena with my daughter for the mavericks gig, bloody great night up to, you've guessed it FFS, if they had any idea they should have sang Bluemoon ;-) but no all changed ito bloody rag shirts.

Always wanted the rags to lose every game they play. Did any blue seriously want them to beat Bayern on "that night in Barcelona"™? Fuck that. As for TMM™, I never used to mind them way back when. "my enemy's enemy", and all that. But my feelings towards them changed after the game at Anfield in 2014 when they booed Yaya as he was being stretchered off. After the club taking out a full page ad in the match programme paying respect to the people who never came home after the semi final at Hillsborough. And events since then have only intensified my dislike for them. Spurs; I've hated them since 1981. And Arsenal have only fairly recently become (for me) a detestable bunch
Leeds?

I’ll preface my comments by saying that to my shame I can remember as a kid wanting the dippers to win EC finals.

As you get into your teens and early 20s and you develop serious dislikes of other English teams then surely it’s only natural to want them to lose to European teams against whom you have no grievance. I think the only time as an adult that I’ve wanted an English team to win in Europe was when that supremely entertaining Norwich team played Bayern.

Apart from petty grievances that I hold against English clubs another very important factor for me is that I want City to be as high up the league table in terms of trophies won as we can and so every time another team wins in Europe that negatively impacts my wish.

For the life of me I don’t understand blues wanting other English teams to win. My dad always jokingly says to me “oh we don’t want Johnny Foreigner to win” when I’m cheering as goals go in against English clubs and maybe that attitude of a sort of mild xenophobia is more prevalent in proper old timers but to anyone middle aged and younger I’d have thought that intense domestic club rivalry outstrips a rather less intense general rivalry with other countries doesn’t it ?

I remember being very much against the accepted mood when I screamed the pub down as Messi got the second in the 2009 Final vs Rags.
The pub was nowhere near Manchester, of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.