When / why did you become a City fan?

When I was 9 years old in 2002. I started getting into football back then. I remember having the Premier League 2002-03 sticker album and it was fun collecting them as a kid. Also City got back in them Premier League that year and the team they had was really good. We finished a impressive 9th and played with attacking football but with a poor defence at times.

My Dad has always been a Blue since he was little (Around 1970s) and I probably supported City because of my Dad as well. My Grandad and Brother are reds. Another reason was because my brother who just loved rubbing it in when United were winning everything under Fergie and with the likes of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes and all the annoying idiots that played for them.

My first City game I went to was City vs Scunthorpe in 2006 FA Cup. We won 3-1 on the day. Also been to a few Premier League games and 1 Champions League game.

My favourite game that I enjoyed going to was City vs Napoli back in 2017. The Champions League game felt more special than the Premier League games I went to.

My dad's a Geordie and mum is from Dorset. Both my older sister and brother were born in Workington before they moved to Moston, Manchester for dad's work. I was born in Moston on a road that was about half red, half blue. The reds were always the dickhead kids, weren't they? I just couldn't ever like them. They're unlikeable. Same for my older brother...he started going to Maine Road around 76 when i was 8 or 9. Around the time of the League Cup. I was so impressed with Dennis Tueart etc. United had celebrity cnuts. We had class. That's how it felt.
My brother started to take me to reserve games and then to the real thing. So from around 1976/77 onwards...
Had this pic, or similar, on my bedroom wall.

1704119744085.png

Last edited:
Must have been a similar thread in the past, as I'm sure I posted this before?....

In 70's my old man assumed I'd support Southampton, but I used to always listen for Citys result on the radio, whilst he filled in the scores on the back of the paper for the pools. I guess I liked the name/kit, and vaguely remember seeing something on TV about Colin Bell (also had 'top trump' football cards, and Colin in the 'sash kit' was my favourite).
In 77 I saw a bedside lamp with Dennis Tueart mid air in the 76 league Cup final, at a local market...and threw a tantrum until my parents bought it!! Think reality dawned on my dad that day!
First game was the first time City played at Southampton 78 or 79 as my dad had season tickets at the Dell, can't remember it. My eldest has no interest in football....but youngest 11, was told "City is our team" he's blue! his cousins friend is a lifelong friend of Haaland, and got him a signed shirt last year ;)......his first game was at Saints last year, sat in home end corner by City fans with his mums b/friend (Burnley fan) saw himself on TV as Jack ran towards him when he scored.
My mission is to take him to Etihad this year.

Article

For those interested in fandom and particularly how things were viewed in the US, the above article was written by a well known columnist after the 2006 World Cup. (He now has a media company, several books on other sports, etc). He’s trying to pick a PL team to support - and solicits letters from supporters, compares them to other US teams, etc. I find it funny, everyone here may think it’s dumb and American! But I know several fans who picked their teams based on this article and still support that team today.

(The author is a huge Boston Red Sox fans who had been pretty much always under achieving and generally painful to watch…until they had some amazing successes).

it's a thing of beauty and all it takes is just one look and you are head over heels in love
that is how you become a Manchester City fan
You do fall in love with this club. For me City was like that girl from around the corner. In the late 80s and 90s she wasn't seen as the prettiest, or anything like that - but to me there was just something special there...something kind and real about her, I just found myself being more and more drawn to her, didn't matter what anyone else said, didn't matter how often I got to see her, she was mine. I won't pretend there weren't times, in the years that came after, that I felt cruelly shackled to her. Times when I felt boredom, bitterness, regret. Times when I just didn't want to talk about it, didn't want to face how everything had turned out. Now, of course, I couldn't be prouder. I didn't go into it knowing that one day she would be rich, beautiful, glamorous, anything like that...I still can't quite believe it, and I know we could lose it all tomorrow. But, thirty-plus years and two kids later, I know it's a love that won't die.

I was about 7.
Had a season ticket ever since.
I think this will be my last year though.
Had enough of football.
To expensive.
To many tourists and twats tacking selfies.
And var has completely ruined the match day experience

Never really had a choice, thankfully.
My maternal great Uncle, born 1907, was a blue and so was his sister's husband (my Grandad). Great Uncle went to every home match for decades, well into his 80s.
We all followed suit really and my mum even went on the Kippax in the early 60s when she was pregnant with me.
Great Uncle bought me my first season ticket when I was 13; I used to travel an hour and a half (on my own) to meet him and then we'd sit together in the Platt Lane stand.

You do fall in love with this club. For me City was like that girl from around the corner. In the late 80s and 90s she wasn't seen as the prettiest, or anything like that - but to me there was just something special there...something kind and real about her, I just found myself being more and more drawn to her, didn't matter what anyone else said, didn't matter how often I got to see her, she was mine. I won't pretend there weren't times, in the years that came after, that I felt cruelly shackled to her. Times when I felt boredom, bitterness, regret. Times when I just didn't want to talk about it, didn't want to face how everything had turned out. Now, of course, I couldn't be prouder. I didn't go into it knowing that one day she would be rich, beautiful, glamorous, anything like that...I still can't quite believe it, and I know we could lose it all tomorrow. But, thirty-plus years and two kids later, I know it's a love that won't die.

pretty much like the song, Pretty Flamingo

But for Ma Bollo’s intervention I’d have been called Colin Denis Bernhard, so you can guess when I became a City fan. Dad was a proud son of Wythenshawe (mum from the Lightbowne Rd, so yay FCUoM wink) but he joined the RAF before I was born. He was on the radars so I grew up in London and up and down the east coast, including a stint in deepest Northumberland. Until you’ve had the piss extracted by a Berwick Rangers supporter you haven’t lived. Anyway, I’ve lived the last 30 years in Hampshire and the only things that mark me out as a City fan are my rugged good looks and the accumulated mental trauma. My daughter sounds like the queen’s elocution teacher but has been brought up correctly.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.