Where did this season go so wrong?

tolmie's hairdoo said:
It went wrong the moment Aguero scored that wonderful goal.

You see, that's when you find out if you have bought the right kinda stuff.

Some players are happy to settle for their lot, and others, they want to keep winning and forget about the past.

Too many of our players, even our fans (understandably), dined out on being champions for too long.

It should have been put to bed in pre-season training, whilst United were already plotting and working towards a response.
I'd add we did the same at board level. Drifted in our planning for this season without Cook. We didn't plan for what would happen after winning the league. There was general sloppiness in our approach to attracting the right players to push on again. Leadership was needed here.
There was also a lack of leadership on the pitch, particularly in midfield which meant we didn't see the danger in Madrid until it was too late. Etc.
I don't think it will happen this summer and do think Mancini will push forward next year. Hopefully we'll have learnt these lessons as a club.

crystal_mais said:
Claytop said:
Pigeonho said:
That was a different scenario all together, as we were doing the chasing - i.e. doing our part. We aren't doing our part to retain the title we fought hard to win, we're giving it away with each passing game. If we were 2nd in the league but doing everything we could to topple united then fair do's but we're not, we're letting them run off with it with not so much as a shred of being arsed, and Saturday was a performance which reflects just that.

What's changed since the end of Jan?

We were doing our part then, not conceding and winning 5 out of 6 in all competitions.

Was that just more papering over cracks? Serious question btw as it seems baffling.

We seriously papered over cracks last season - See my analysis of away games. We strugled most games - Take the 2 derbies out and UTD got more points from all their games compared to ours.

The goals scored stat is staggering, did teams just work us out in the 2nd half of the season?

23 goals in the first 6 away games and then 15 in the next 13!

With the squad we have we should be top. Don't care how good united are IMO without van persie they would not be top.

West ham away
Qpr away
Sunderland away
Stoke away
Liverpool home
Southampton away
United home

Should all be wins and convincing wins IMO. That's where it's all gone wrong.

Claytop said:
crystal_mais said:
Claytop said:
What's changed since the end of Jan?

We were doing our part then, not conceding and winning 5 out of 6 in all competitions.

Was that just more papering over cracks? Serious question btw as it seems baffling.

We seriously papered over cracks last season - See my analysis of away games. We strugled most games - Take the 2 derbies out and UTD got more points from all their games compared to ours.

The goals scored stat is staggering, did teams just work us out in the 2nd half of the season?

23 goals in the first 6 away games and then 15 in the next 13!

Think so - but lack of pace and width - Thats why I question the manager - he ha seen this yet will not learn - look at the stats for this year -

This could still turn out to be a fruitful season, if we dont bottle it on sunday against leeds and can play with some conviction and turn these scum bast**ds over convincingly I think we could be on for a trip to wembley again.
If we were to capture the fa cup , finish second in the league if indeed it proves to be too much to claw back the 12 points and secure a champions league berth it wont be too bad a season after the way we've played for most of the season.
I think the transfers we bought have been inadequate and some of the tactics adopted at times and in house squabbles have derailed our season but its not impossible.
Come on blues starting with leeds lets get back on track and show the league what real champions are made of.<br /><br />-- Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 am --<br /><br />This could still turn out to be a fruitful season, if we dont bottle it on sunday against leeds and can play with some conviction and turn these scum bast**ds over convincingly I think we could be on for a trip to wembley again.
If we were to capture the fa cup , finish second in the league if indeed it proves to be too much to claw back the 12 points and secure a champions league berth it wont be too bad a season after the way we've played for most of the season.
I think the transfers we bought have been inadequate and some of the tactics adopted at times and in house squabbles have derailed our season but its not impossible.
Come on blues starting with leeds lets get back on track and show the league what real champions are made of.

Mancini will be a top class manager but only when he grows up, which won't be here. He'll win the CL with an Italian team one day.

jay_mcfc said:
Mancini will be a top class manager but only when he grows up, which won't be here. He'll win the CL with an Italian team one day.

Could you elaborate on that, please? Do you mean matures as a manager or something different?

taleofbluehalves said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Some players are happy to settle for their lot, and others, they want to keep winning and forget about the past.

Too many of our players, even our fans (understandably), dined out on being champions for too long.

It should have been put to bed in pre-season training, whilst United were already plotting and working towards a response.
I'd add we did the same at board level. Drifted in our planning for this season without Cook. We didn't plan for what would happen after winning the league. There was general sloppiness in our approach to attracting the right players to push on again. Leadership was needed here.
There was also a lack of leadership on the pitch, particularly in midfield which meant we didn't see the danger in Madrid until it was too late. Etc.
I don't think it will happen this summer and do think Mancini will push forward next year. Hopefully we'll have learnt these lessons as a club.

I agree. If the title is lost it was lost in July.

taleofbluehalves said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

The only lesson I think they will have learned is that by not trusting Mancini they should of got rid instead of giving him no money

Tolmie makes a very good point that we as fans have been dining out on the title for maybe a little to long. I have fucking loved being champions and hopefully this season is the wake up call that our owners need to realise that if you snooze you lose.

The rags have always bought one or 2 players to keep improving..every season. They replace complacency with hunger and unfortunately our signings bar Nasty have just not performed.

In the likely scenario that we lose the title this season whenever it happens just remember the pain that we will all feel. We as a club and fans should use this as a catalyst to improve and never ever rest on our laurels.We beat the rags 6-1 and it was a fantastic day and the goals helped us but we are still singing about it. I enjoyed it last season but in the greater scheme of things now it means the sum total of fuck all. Do you think the rags will give a fuck if they lift their 20th yes 20th league title soon. I would lose every derby if it meant us winning the league.

Lots of things have gone against us this season. Mancini has fucked around with the defense to much. Letting NDJ go was a huge error.
Don't let it ruin your lives blues,It is sport and we cannot win it every season,even the rags haven't done that.
We learn,we improve and we move on.
To appreciate the special things in life sometimes you have to feel the pain of giving something up. That something for us this year is more than likely going to be the title.

Regroup in summer,clear some of the deadwood and start again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.