Which result disappointed you the most

fa cup final v wigan for me by a country mile. i was too young for the 1981 final thankfully.

4 - 3 at the rags with the 97th minute goal from that cock Owen. I totally lost it when he scored that.

City Wigan FA cup final.

Totally abject display by the players and the Mancini sacking going on behind the scenes was just awful
Same for me. Having missed the Stoke final because I was away, I was so excited for this one. A chance to be there to see us life the FA Cup, I thought - it was only Wigan, after all.

Turned out to be an absolute shambles.

My family and I then had to hop on a plane to Cyprus just a few hours afterwards; that was probably the worst start to holiday we've ever had. Utterly miserable.

1. The 6-1 as it should have been 10
2. The '74 League Cup Final - losing to Wolves 2-1 when everyone said we only had to turn up to win
3. Luton home game that saw us relegated. If we were going to lose why wait so late to concede as in those days it was easy to waste a few minutes by just passing back to the keeper
4. Quarter Final in FA Cup when we lost to Spurs 4-2. Really thought we could go the Wembley that year
5. Losing to the likes of Stockport, Bury etc
6. The 1-1 v the dippers when we missed out on the title that year by one point
7. Wigan FA Cup Final - utter disgrace - still want my money back for that wasted day

8-1 boro. Sat in a pub full of rags while they celebrated winning the league. They won the champions league later the next week as well.

I remember Rags gloating saying we'd always be a laughing stock and loving it. Three and four years later they were shut right up.

West Ham FA Cup Quarter Final Defeat in 2006
Nearly all the Top sides had been knocked out, and we'd got the home draw we so desperately craved.
All it required was a routine victory over a team we'd already beaten earlier in the season, and then Boro in the Semi Final.
Oh, and don't play our best team in a meaningless League match, two days prior to the game.

The 81 replay .... every time I see that I'm convinced that someone will tackle that Argie who did nowt else

The 8-1 Boro .... we were top of the fair play league and into Europe as long as we didn't get 12 penalty points - do Funney get a red someone else a yellow so the next tackle we make it's another yellow and we are out of Europe so all Boto needed to do was run at us - and they did .... after all that the Elano goal was the best on the day

FA Cup 3rd round away to Swindon in early 60's .... Bill Lievers still in the team - we got stuffed 3-1 ... shit journey home on special BR train

.... and loads more over past 55 years

The two that hurt me the most were both FA Cup quarter finals at home

Liverpool 0-4 in 1988
I was young and naive, so was our team apart from John Gidman and I really believed that we could take one of Europe's best teams, even though English clubs were banned from European competition
This is one of the very few matches that I've left with minutes to go as I felt physically sick
Just typing this is churning my stomach

Spurs 2-4 in 1993
The history gods were on our side. Lovely day, new stand opened. I worked for a firm in Essex which had a box at White Hart Lane, City were going to shut these big mouthed cockney's up and I was going to be Mr Smug in the office
This result really hurt me more than any relegation or derby defeat and I thought that I'd never see us win any silverware ever again

Looking at the history section to check I had the year correct and spurs beat us four times in the 92/93 season........... the twats
Agree with you on both of these.

I'll go for one from when I was about 15 that hasn't had a mention so far - Nottingham Forest 1-2 in the league cup quarter final at Maine Road. We somehow conspired (against a championship side) to finish the match with Alan Kernaghan upfront and Mike Sheron on the bench. I got home to Ellesmere Park piss wet through and walked into the kitchen. My mam followed me in and uttered the immortal - "There's always next year." I didn't speak to her until the Friday night.

After this, some of the previously mentioned ones;

Spurs 2-4 at Maine Road,
Wigan cup final,
Hamburg quarter final.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.