Who is bigger in Manchester? City or Utd?

The last three places I've worked (since 2005) have been predominantly City fans, so that proves without doubt that City are the bigger club.

coleridge said:
franksinatra said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
I was just going to post the same so you saved me the trouble.

Seems strange you both clicked on the topic then.

Strange that you felt the need to comment on their opinions.

I'm with Chippy and PB. Why give them any credit? It's all going one way and that's to the blue side.

Well as I do find the data on our support across Manchester interesting therefore I was active within the thread. If I had no interest I would not post to tell people their interest is small time. But we are all different.

What counts is how we're doing head to head. Let's beat them again 6-1 in the derby at Old twatford April 11th and none of this who's bigger will matter.

west didsblue said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
west didsblue said:
This was in the Evening News a couple of years ago based on a very unscientific survey

C_71_article_1492123_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Are the red circles empty seats?

That survey done by MMU was researched by a well known rag activist who jumped ship and set up FC Mini Me's and is still a board member of said club.
That wasn't the MMU survey. It was a MEN survey.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...l-news/manchester-derby-map-men-survey-687267

Sorry, I was quoting on both, the red circles on the MEN bit and then referring back to the OP's comment on the MMU survey, which was written by a well known rag

I'm born and bread in a blue area but after saying that in primary school in the 80's we used to play City fans v Un*ted fans in the playground and we were always outnumbered. The difference was, as others have said, we were all proper football fans, played the game, went to games, and we were all in the school team, we used to beat them every time (although they had so many players compared to us it was like a scrum at times and they were tackling each other, we in comparison were organised!)

Some of those childhood rags are now City fans (even before the takeover), Arsenal fans, even Stockport fans. All the childhood blues are, as far as I know, still blue.

So I reckon, even in South and East Manchester which I class as "blue", if you went door to door and asked who they supported I think they would have more, but in terms of fans who even remotely know anything about the game, let alone go, Manchester is blue. Same with rag areas, my father in law is a "blue in bandit country" and has had a season ticket since the 70's.

Pubs are a good example, when were are at home and on TV there are plenty of blues watching in the pub, but when they are at home and on TV the pubs are packed. Why are they not there, tickets easy to come by at the swamp these days? As soon as the game finishes they leave and crawl back under their rocks to post more stockport and emptyhad messages on social media, oh the irony!

Spot on casualdeyna, the majority of these people you know thathave 'season tickets; in the pubs and work with have no history of attending matches in the flesh, every scrote you see in and around Manchester seems to bear a 'nitid shirt but the idea of actually attending a game is a complete anathema to them, a rancid bunch to a tee.

Personally I don't know many of them that actually attend but they can certainly pull a big crowd in my local for a tv game.
Think we need our youger support to mass produce before we actually take over as the number one supported team though

franksinatra said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Chippy_boy said:
I don't care and to be honest, worrying about it is imho a bit small time. Let the rags worry about it when in 10 years Manchester is 75% blue.
I was just going to post the same so you saved me the trouble.

Seems strange you both clicked on the topic then.
A better question would, in my view, be how much of the respective match-going support comes from outside Manchester. In other words, how many regular matchday attendees have a round trip of, say, 100 miles or more from their homes. Even then, you have to be careful as many will be exiled Mancunians or have family connections with a history of supporting one or the other team.

Also you often see people out and about wearing rag shirts even when they're playing, so they may say they're a fan but how much of one can you be if you don't even follow a game of theirs when it's on?

Dirty Harry said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
west didsblue said:

Sorry, I was quoting on both, the red circles on the MEN bit and then referring back to the OP's comment on the MMU survey, which was written by a well known rag

Neither should be given any real credence, both were fundamentally flawed, where you live now and where you're from are two different things, during those times me and our kid would have counted as 'out of towners' because he lived in Chester and me just outside of Chorley, yet he was born at St Mary's, me at Withington, and raised in Fallowfield and Wythenshawe for most of our lives.

Anyway, can only really speak in regards to the south side of Manchester where I grew up etc, and it was easily Blue, in my particular town back then I'd say it was probably 70/30 in our favour, as a whole, I'd guess it was pretty much 50/50, but then again, from my experience, you get many many people who have no interest in football, but when asked will declare their allegiance to the rags.

No data is perfect and making any real comparisons with United is flawed because it is only City who have put the information within the public domain. Still I am please that Tameside has the highest number of City fans per population in the world. Our support it is definitely concentrated within the South and East of Manchester. I am pretty sure this was based on transport links in the historical past to Maine Road

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.