Who will be our closest challenger for the league?

Who is most likely to challenge us for the league?

• Tottenham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

• Man Utd

• Chelsea

• Total voters
As it stands can't see liverpool challenging. Defence is no stronger and quite weak and lacks depth, no DM as yet. Added 2 in midfield but lot a few. Attack is good, but not enough to challenge in my opinion.

As it stands can't see liverpool challenging. Defence is no stronger and quite weak and lacks depth, no DM as yet. Added 2 in midfield but lot a few. Attack is good, but not enough to challenge in my opinion.
Who do you think will mate?
I'm struggling tbh as all the challengers have equal positives/negatives!
The only one that stood out was the dippers as they're not in the Chumps League (think Klopp will fuck off the Europa League) and they have experience of going toe to toe with us in a title challenge.

Agreed, their transition from midfield to attack will be quicker with those two. It'll be a different style to the usual lump it up to little and large they usually play. Still think they're vulnerable in defense though. Newcastle will give it a good go. Well coached, solid defence, strong midfield and a passionate crowd behind them.
Similar to how we were a few years ago, ridiculous going forward but susceptible at the back on the counter.

Luckily for us we seem to have found a perfect balance which helps us win the bigger games, especially when there are fine margins.

Still maintain that I'd much rather play Arsenal in a one off game rather than Liverpool, and I think that'll be the case again this season.

Who do you think will mate?
I'm struggling tbh as all the challengers have equal positives/negatives!
The only one that stood out was the dippers as they're not in the Chumps League (think Klopp will fuck off the Europa League) and they have experience of going toe to toe with us in a title challenge.
I agree I can see positives and negatives for a few.I think united have a decent team and manager but lack depth, same with aresenal and liverpool. As you say liverpool not in C/L but thursday Sunday football, Aresnal added european games. Chelsea a bit unknown and no Europe.To be honest I can only see us not winning it if we drop off to an extent I'd be very surprised by but think Arsenal or united second.

I think it's an interesting year with a variety of clubs on a transition stage.

That includes us - I do expect us to challenge, but at the same time there is a reason why the English league has never been won 4 times in a row - it's difficult, and the previous teams that tried to do it were also seen as dominant in their day. So everyone else will be looking at our squad re-building and wondering if it is a good time to catch us out.

Of the others - I do think Arsenal have strengthened and it may depend on how much they are hurting from last year and how much they have learned. I expect them to be in the mix.

United - It's a big season for Ten Hag. Once he had sorted out the chaos at the beginning of the season they did OK - but really only finished third because Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs had worse seasons. They have strengthened at goalkeeper - but elsewhere I'm not so sure. I expect them to be steady but in the end not good enough.

Newcastle have made some reasonable, but not spectacular signings. This season will be about getting used to combining PL and CL and putting themselves in the positions where increased revenues allows them to make bigger signings in the future. They will continue to be hard to beat but I expect them to be challenging for a CL placings rather than to win the League. I wonder if it might be better for them to finish 3rd in CL group and then have a good go at winning the EL - or if a last 16 CL place leave them free to concentrate on the back end of the season.

Liverpool need all the promising young midfield players they have been buying from Fulham to begin to come to the fore. I think they will be better than last season, they have attackers to score goals, but the same tired defence as last season and I don't see who is going to hold the midfield together - they might challenge for a while but not sure if they can sustain it. I do expect them to challenge for EL - because "of those wonderful European nights under the lights."

Brighton - once again have made some cute signings, and I expect de Zerbi to make them work. But they have Thursday night's to contend with - I expect them to challenge for top 7 again - but unlikely to improve on last year.

Villa are intriguing. Emery knows what he is doing. They have made some good signing. I think they could challenge for a while even with Thursday Night football - because the Conference is a place where you can get away with reserve teams until the final couple of rounds. I don't know if they can sustain a challenge - but if the usual suspects have another rocky season they might benefit with a top 4 finish.

Spurs - well who knows? Postecoglou will get them more excited than the last couple of managers have and I suspect that those who have discounted him because of where he has managed before will be in for a shock. But it's still hard to imagine them making any sort of sustained challenge.

and then Chelsea - surely the biggest most expensive squad ever assembled is going to run away with the league aren't they? .... No I don't think so either - we know Pochettino will get them organised. We know that if they can get the mix of all those players right that they can be dangerous. But I'm looking at their defensive options and just don't see anyone better than our defenders and don't see who is going to give the sort of control their attacking players need. However, they don't have European football - they should score goals and they have a manager who wants to prove he can be a winner in a competitive league. They must have a chance of challenging.

So I do expect a couple of the above to challenge for the title - but as to which of them it actually is - there are too many variables to be certain at this stage.

Excuse me whilst I remove these splinters!

Liverpool.

They’ve signed well and will be back up there after their ‘down’ season.

I see some have named Chelsea. Can't see it myself; there's too much ground to be made up in the space of one campaign. Probably Arsenal again, though I can’t see them replicating their start from last season (50 pts from their opening 19 games).

Ourselves, we might choose to prioritise other comps when push comes to shove, we could go all in for the PL and win it at a canter if we wanted, as no team has our consistency. I reckon Pep fancies the foursomeoooh.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.