Why after today has Mancini lost the fans?

What really worried me watching yesterday,was how very slow paced we were.
It was a bit like watching a pre season friendly where tackles are done as a last resort.
No urgency,no pace (Johnson/SWP on bench) Silva running himself dizzy.
We are a bunch of individuals with some great skill between them but not playing as a team,not yet gelling.
We missed Tevez on so many levels its frightening (considering he may well be away in summer)
I am sure Dzeko will get better,Kolarov needs to improve his crosses to try to land one in Dzekos general direction as we nearly scored when he got his head to the one cross he had in their air.
Joe Hart needs to work out a plan with the coaches to see who is available when he receives the ball as he looks clueless with it.

BillyShears said:
I'm amazed that so many people see yesterday as some sort of tipping point. We've played no differently since the start of the season. The limitations have been there since day one. Post Christmas even the rest of the league had us figured out for all intents and purposes - hence our poor run of form.

21 points from 12 matches post Christmas is hardly a disaster. Spurs have 22 from 12, Arsenal 26 from 12.

BillyShears said:
I'm amazed that so many people see yesterday as some sort of tipping point. We've played no differently since the start of the season. The limitations have been there since day one. Post Christmas even the rest of the league had us figured out for all intents and purposes - hence our poor run of form.

Billy, the limitations have been there from Day 1 maybe, but it's when you see the same things happening over and over again without any sign of improvement that people start to lose faith.

Many of us were the same with Hughes. You cast aside your doubts until they can be cast aside no more and serious questions have to be asked.

It's a results business and I was willing to accept his 'style' of play if it got us where we wnated to be. You were less tolerant from the beginning. Now it seems we aren't actually much, if any, better off than last season, I'm seriously concerned.

Strangely, yesterday was a slight 'tipping point' for me, despite the quality of the opposition.

BillyShears said:

blue tinted specs now clearing mate

The first time I ever doubted Mancini was after just a month of his reign. The first leg semi vs United last season.

moomba said:
BillyShears said:

21 points from 12 matches post Christmas is hardly a disaster. Spurs have 22 from 12, Arsenal 26 from 12.

If that's a satisfactory return of points for you, then that's fair enough - it isn't in my book - and when coupled with garbage performances it sets all the alarm bells which have been ringing for months and months, just ring even louder.

Good article - sums Mancini up for me:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/8394317/Manchester-City-manager-Roberto-Mancini-could-cost-club-Champions-League-place-with-caution-in-Chelsea-defeat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... efeat.html</a>

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini could cost club Champions League place with caution in Chelsea defeat

On 77 minutes, Roberto Mancini summed up Manchester City’s approach and the difference between these two sides.

His substitutes were warming up and he sent assistant Brian Kidd to call one over. The game was goalless and there to be won — would he call on a striker and go for it? Mario Balotelli pointed at his chest, hoping he would be the one. Mancini shook his head and asked for defender Dedryck Boyata.

Before the change could be made, City were a goal behind and it was a Chelsea defender who scored it, the new cult hero that is David Luiz, heading home a free-kick. Not unexpected — central defenders are supposed to get on the end of such attacking positions — except Luiz had won the kick, deep out on the edge of the City penalty area. But what was he doing out there in the first place? He was there because he had decided to try to win this match.

Once behind, Mancini did throw on Balotelli and Adam Johnson but it was too late. The game was up.

“We were ready to change when we conceded the goal,” Mancini said, concerned that City were struggling to gain a foothold of possession. But that change was to be a defensive one. City were not going to go for it and they paid the price. It was all the more galling as Luiz is a player they decided not to bid for.

City were well beaten when Ramires scored a wonderful second goal deep into injury time to add a gloss to the result which saw Chelsea overhaul their opponents and move into third place. The result will also add impetus to Tottenham Hotspur’s hopes of finishing fourth, and they now appear to be in a head-to-head battle with City, just as they were last season.

And, just as they were last season, it may also come to down a meeting between the two, still to be scheduled, at Eastlands. Fail to finish in those Champions League places, the minimum requirement for Mancini, and it’s difficult to see him remaining beyond this campaign.

But such is City’s poor run of form, having crashed out of the Europa League in midweek, that they appear to be in a downward trajectory. They have just eight points from their last seven matches in the business end of the season and they have not won away from home since Boxing Day. In the absence of the injured Carlos Tévez, they appear more than ever to be a one-man team, which is ridiculous given the money spent.

They also play the same way. Always. Be it against Reading in the FA Cup, Dynamo Kiev in Europe or Chelsea away. There is no variety, no tactical innovation, no boldness. Mancini again blamed fatigue yesterday but that’s not an excuse which can be acceptable. “Had we won it would have been fantastic,” Mancini said. But first they had to try to win.

There should be greater ambition at such an ambitious club. Mancini will now hope that the tear to Tévez’s adductor muscle is quickly healed. The prognosis is two to three weeks but he desperately needs his captain for the home match against Sunderland on April 3. He also needs to get far more out of Balotelli — a £24 million signing — and the £27 million recruit Edin Dzeko. These are concerning times for Mancini. Even if he gains that fourth place he can count himself fortunate if he is not replaced for the next campaign. His innate caution may be his downfall.

BillyShears said:
If that's a satisfactory return of points for you, then that's fair enough - it isn't in my book - and when coupled with garbage performances it sets all the alarm bells which have been ringing for months and months, just ring even louder.

It's less than I would have hoped for, but still a decent return of points, and hardly an indication that we have been "worked out" by the rest of the league.

We've sacked managers time after time and it's done us little good. I think provided we get champions league we give him another season.
I can't deny I have my doubts about him, but I have faith.

moomba said:
BillyShears said:

It's less than I would have hoped for...
Therefore not satisfactory.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.